PDA

View Full Version : Filter for EG Hatch

NightKids
05-12-2005, 06:16 PM
hey guys, i've done a search for air filters & i read thru a lot of the posts but i just found myself getting more & more confused! my car is due for a service & what better time to change my air filter. ok here are my options from what i gathered from reading all the posts...

- k&n panel filter upgrade with resonator removed
- k&n short ram with heatshield
- CAI (which seems a bit pricey but the best i guess)
- i've seen a pod filter in the stock eg airbox with stock piping. was just wondering if this does anything cause i was considering this option too.

was just wondering whether which of these options is best bang for buck in comparison to performance as well. i know a lot will say k&n panel but a lil VTEC roar couldn't hurt either i guess ... :D

Weq
05-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Dont think of my advice as biased. But what do u want, performance or sound?

if u want performance, u got 2 options.
1) k&n panel filter, remove all resonators and put in a cold air feed from the front guard.
2) get a CAI intake (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=503119#post503119) and stick a pod filter on. THis will give u a heep of roar, sound nice and deep and increase performance with cold air feed.

Sound:
1) Get a pod filter and a small price of pipe, attach to stock intake piping. Dont waste the money on a short ram pipe, stock will pastic will give u just as much power. Upgrade later to a CAI when u want some performance :)

Also you cannot put a POD into a stock airbox. only a DC2 type-r airbox has provisions for a pod filter.

Lastly, a heatshield doesnt do much for a short ram. the piping heats up a heep, and it still sucks air from the engine bay. If your going to the trouble of ducting air, all the materials add up and u are better off getting a CAI :)

NightKids
05-12-2005, 08:13 PM
that's very helpful weq, thanks for that...
can i ask you what a cold air feed is? is that in the DIY's where u hook up that black tube from the front?

i was actually pretty keep on the heatshield option, but since it's still gonna suck up hot air i guess there isn't much point. i guess the panel filter seems like the way to go, is there an increase in noise when it's inside the stock air box? i guess what i'm after is a bit of both, performance & noise, but CAI seems a bit dear that's all. they're $400+ yeah?

yeah i didn't think you could put a POD in a stock airbox but i went to check out this EG Si & he had a K&N filter in his air box. It wasn't any bigger than my one either so i think it's stock. he opened up the box & showed me & it was considerably smaller than conventional K&N filters. wonder where he got it from....... hmmmzzzz he was singaporean so maybe overseas?

type one
05-12-2005, 08:15 PM
hey nightkids i am running option 1 with a spoon filter.. runs like a dream and is factory smooth...

NightKids
05-12-2005, 09:10 PM
yeah i think i pm'd u cause you were selling a spoon filter. don't think you had any though. i was after 1 of them, does anyone know where i can get it from?

NightKids
08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
anyone know where I can get a spoon panel filter for my EG hatch?

egSi
08-12-2005, 04:34 PM
K&N panel with some ducting :thumbsup:

Weq
08-12-2005, 05:27 PM
i guess what i'm after is a bit of both, performance & noise, but CAI seems a bit dear that's all. they're $400+ yeah?

*cough* *sig*

E-Honda
08-12-2005, 06:31 PM
get a heatshield to protect yourself from getting a defect

you aint gonna get much performance out of a intake anyways, the sound will just make you think that it is goin faster

NightKids
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
the price for that intake is pretty cool, prob is might get defected 4 sure!
but i mean a K&N panel filter is already around $120.

Weq
08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
ive never heard of anyone getting defected for a CAI. Its in the gaurd, out of the engine bay. And if they do u gotta read the coppa the ADR - a airfilter must be atleast 70% covered if its in the _engine bay_. hell u cant even see the airfilter when its installed.

rtsnoz
10-12-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm currently puting in a DIY CAI in my 92 eg si. I was just wondering how much extra performance/sound will i get from a K&N panel filter replacing the stock filter?

Thanks

Weq
10-12-2005, 07:44 PM
u will get a bit, but most of the restriction in the stock intake comes from all the resonators and the stock airbox opening and the pastic intake piping.

I think i gained about 1kw atw from a K&N panel.