PDA

View Full Version : slipping clutch

crx88rb
05-12-2005, 07:19 PM
i have a 88 crx. i was practicing quick starts the other night and found that the clutch maybe slipping. im not ure if that is it but a mate was with me and said it was. so i will explain it to you and if you think it is the clutch just say yes or no and what can i do about it.

i would rev up to 5000rpm and take off, no wheel skides and it would feel very powerless in first and then put it in to second and would get no speed but plenty of rev. the same again in the third. if i did it at a lower rev i could feel the power and went a lot smoother. but i should be able to start up higher and feel the power. is it the clutch slipping and would it be recommended to get a new heavy duty clutch?

runwaycrackwhore
05-12-2005, 07:27 PM
yes or no? dont know it could be alot of things but definatly maybe.

ive said this before.

if you want to know if its on its way out, go about 40kms, put it in 4th and floor it!! if the rev shoot then yes its slipping...or...put in in 4th, then start the car...if the car starts its definatly caput!!

as for recomending the clutch, what are u gonna use it for? i wouldnt recomend a button cluth for a daily, but if your into sidesteps and stuff yeah maybe!!! but u'll be strugling for traction...really depends on your lanch technique, but for some ppl, slight slip is needed for a good launch.

crx88rb
05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
i just want something a bit better then the stock clutchs. and i dont know about a button clutch, sounds about off for me who is just daily driving. but thats for the advise and pplz keep them coming

runwaycrackwhore
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
what engine are u runing? b16a by any chance?

if ure running a b16a the type r oem clutch is a good upgrade.

otherwise, a exedy organic, or maybe even a single or twin plate upgrade would be sufficient for your use.

do you like the clamping power on your now? or are you looking for asomething more?

ECU-MAN
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
did you smell anything when this happen.

wOlfee
05-12-2005, 09:04 PM
i got same problem when i dump the clutch it full revs like crazy goes a lil but no byte.. than u can tell when it grabs??

Limbo
05-12-2005, 09:23 PM
might not be your clutch might be the pressure plate.

Try this Dump the car in 5th gear, if it stalls then clutch is bad. If it does not stall straight away then the clutch is slipping and needs replacement.

crx88rb
05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
my engine is a D16a8, when i found out about it slipping yes there was a bit of a smell but not really bad. what im looking for is something for daily use with a bit of bit. so when i go the power is grapped and uses instead of missing the grab and power going nowhere.
wolfee : it does kick in but only after it has reved out and it just doesnt feel like there is any power

limbo. both of those things end up with the same result :p but thank you and will give it a go

DLO01
06-12-2005, 07:57 AM
might not be your clutch might be the pressure plate.

Try this Dump the car in 5th gear, if it stalls then clutch is bad. If it does not stall straight away then the clutch is slipping and needs replacement.
Thats on the right track ^^^
To test if you Clutch is slipping or not:
Put your car in the drive way, make sure the front of the car is clear from thing. From a stand still put the car in Fith gear, give it a little revs and let the clutch out. If the car stalls your clutch is ok and not slipping. If the car does not stall imediatly or keeps running, your clutch is slipping.
Try it, that will give you more indication weather it is slipping or not. :thumbsup:
If there is something wrong don't even bother about changing individual parts. Get a whole clutch kit.

crx91
06-12-2005, 08:29 AM
I had an exeddy heavy duty clutch installed in my d16a8 a few months ago. but we replaced it before it started slipping(saw it when they rebuilt the box). she has alot more punch now. Very nice clutch.

crx88rb
06-12-2005, 06:37 PM
i tried that fifth gear start and the car shook like hell and then continued on. so i guess that means it is slipping :P thankz for the advise guys will have to get a new clutch sometime early next year. and will be getting an entire kit from someone in perth unsure whether i want heavy duty or standard one as of yet

Weq
06-12-2005, 08:38 PM
by mine./ u'll love it :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=526768#post526768