PDA

View Full Version : Sensor on Air intake

raskalsmpl
06-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey guys i just installed a new CAI , and ive got a Vtir Civic Coupe.

Im just concerned about the sensor! does it need to be there??

or does the sensor need to be air tight when it is installed into the new CAI??

And what type of sensor is this one?

thanks

raskalsmpl
06-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Can anyone Help please???

iceman91
06-12-2005, 01:49 PM
that sensor has to be ther since it measurses the temperature of the air as well as its limked to the fuel mapping...so do not remove it

raskalsmpl
06-12-2005, 01:54 PM
but how tightly firm does it have to be??? enough so the pin on the sensor is in the tube????

does it matter if there is a gap????

so the sensor only measures the temp>>

bennjamin
06-12-2005, 01:55 PM
needs to be air tight. If not , outside unfiltered air may confuse the sensors readings.

barefootbonzai
06-12-2005, 01:57 PM
just electrical tape the mofo till it's air tight

raskalsmpl
06-12-2005, 02:00 PM
so basically needs to bullshit tight!!!! how about the other pipe??? above it ???

it goes from the CAI to the rocker cover where the oil breather would be installed do i need that???

steve
06-12-2005, 03:18 PM
The other pipe does NOT need to be installed, its purpose is to let oil vapour into the intake so that the vapour can be burnt on combustion.

A.G.System
06-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Think that the easyest way of looking at it is that if it was installed on the stock it probably should be installed on the new version.

Better to be safe than sorry.

bennjamin
06-12-2005, 03:29 PM
The other pipe does NOT need to be installed, its purpose is to let oil vapour into the intake so that the vapour can be burnt on combustion.

the other pipe on the intake arm ? this needs to be installed ~ it is the intake for the PCV system. Im sure honda designed it there for a proper reason.

Weq
06-12-2005, 05:30 PM
you dont need the air intake sensor to be 'rocket' tight in the intake arm. and u dont need the pcv installed either, u can just run a breather.

to answer your question, it doesnt need to be inside the intake pipe. just hang it near the pod. Our honda ecu';s just arnt that smart. Hell the AIT sensor isnt even inside the the intake manifold - how inaccurate is that. the ait can get double the temp before it enters the combustion chamber. in the end, the o2 sensor will sort any part throttle out, and the little timing that is added by a colder then actual reader, will improve performance at WOT.

<rant>

Weq
06-12-2005, 05:32 PM
needs to be air tight. If not , outside unfiltered air may confuse the sensors readings.

ben, sigh. :)

steve
06-12-2005, 06:27 PM
the other pipe on the intake arm ? this needs to be installed ~ it is the intake for the PCV system. Im sure honda designed it there for a proper reason.

The pipe comin out of the rocker cover into the intake arm?

bennjamin
06-12-2005, 06:36 PM
ben, sigh. :)

shhh my head hurts.

"leave it as stock"...

PIS01
06-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Agreed with Weq, my sensor feel out for weeks and i didn't even notice.

Weq
06-12-2005, 08:32 PM
im not making this stuff up. odb2 and odb1 honda's hardly use AIT correction. Just serach honda-tech.

In the end, if u are insistant on fitting it, its pretty simple. drill a hole (1/8th inch) and stick it in with a grommet. 5min job.

ECU-MAN
06-12-2005, 09:21 PM
if it was my car. I would fit it.

raskalsmpl
06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
well ive got all the sorted!!!!

now my problem is that i feel there is a power loss!!!!

does anyone agree!!!??? thinking of putting the stock intake system

my engine is a b16a2

Weq
07-12-2005, 04:56 PM
ive never heard of someone loosing power with a CAI ;)

A.G.System
07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
well ive got all the sorted!!!!

now my problem is that i feel there is a power loss!!!!

does anyone agree!!!??? thinking of putting the stock intake system

my engine is a b16a2

You will probably find that you havent installed the sensor properly or that you have knocked one off from somewhere else.

Mind you when you say CAI are you talking JUST the intake manifold to POD tubing or are you also fitting the pipes that feed air from the front of the car to the was airbox now POD location?

If you havent then this would be why you are losing power. Search the forums for info on CAI's and DIY jobs and see how it can be done easily enough.

raskalsmpl
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
the proper setup!!!!!

I havent really noticed alot of gain of vtec pop...... hmmmm

Also there is a pipe that goes in the throttle body that lets coolant travel through!!!! i was told to take that pip and bypass the throttle body, and connect it to a pip at the back of the intaske manifold???

is this ok

A.G.System
08-12-2005, 09:41 PM
the proper setup!!!!!

I havent really noticed alot of gain of vtec pop...... hmmmm

Also there is a pipe that goes in the throttle body that lets coolant travel through!!!! i was told to take that pip and bypass the throttle body, and connect it to a pip at the back of the intaske manifold???

is this ok

So what your saying is your flooding your intake with an air/coolant mix?
and at the same time NOT cooling your actual intake at all.

DUDE it sounds like your going to seriously be asking for trouble.

Check the forums for a local :honda: mechanic that knows is stuff and get them to check over your work.

That way at least if you HAVE completely ****ed up the install it can be fixed before it goes BOOM!!

KB
08-12-2005, 11:21 PM
On your stock airbox. The two bolts(on the shock tower) that hold the airbox down. They go through this golden thing and a rubber thingo. That rubber thingo happens to be the perfect sized gromet for the iat sensor to fit.

raskalsmpl
09-12-2005, 08:31 AM
No i mean....... on the stock setup..... there is one hosing that goes from the rocker cover to the intake piping, then there is another which runs coolant into the throttle body!!!!

Ive been told you can bypass this to the back!!! into another piping.

does anyone understand what im talking about????

A.G.System
09-12-2005, 08:57 AM
NO

Even more reason to goto your local mechanic and get them to have a look

ProECU
09-12-2005, 09:17 AM
im not making this stuff up. odb2 and odb1 honda's hardly use AIT correction. Just serach honda-tech.

This is a load of CRAP, sorry!

IAT correction is definately present in the ECU, there are tables allocated as correction factors within the code.

What makes honda-tech the be and end all honda resource?

iamhappy46
16-12-2005, 10:50 AM
No i mean....... on the stock setup..... there is one hosing that goes from the rocker cover to the intake piping, then there is another which runs coolant into the throttle body!!!!

Ive been told you can bypass this to the back!!! into another piping.

does anyone understand what im talking about????

If your talking about bypassing the throttle body, so that coolant is no longer warming the TB...

NO, it is not a good idea

Newcivic
17-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Duc Tape!