PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear on OEM 17 tyres

Shootingstar
06-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post and I bought a euro luxury about a month ago and noticed that the tyre wear on the front tyres appeas to be a little excessive on the outer edges especially on the driver's side front tyre....

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

I will be taking the car back to the dealer for investigation, maybe it's the alignment or something?

Thanks in advance.

EuroAccord13
06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Welcome!

Tyre pressure... Check them first before the alignment...

If it's on the outer edges, it normally means the tyre is under inflated...

yfin
06-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Get the alignment checked at your service. The dealer may be happy to pay for this if they can align in house - but they could say it is wear and tear. Some dealers do not have alignment machines.

My dealer wouldn't pay for a laser alignment at 1000kms - even though I knew it was off the day I picked up the car. When I got new rims fitted at 4000kms the tyre shop said the rear toe was out (surprise surprise).

IMO laser alignment is the way to go - eg Beaurepairs. It might cost you $55 but is worth it. A good knock at any corner is enough to cause your toe to go out - and this will lead to wear.

Shootingstar
06-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

Will probably see if the dealer can do the alignment and if not, will go to Beaurepairs to do it.

yfin, how can the alignment be out from day one, i.e. te day when you pick up the car? I may have the same issue but assumed that the car would be perfect and that an alignment does not need to be done till 10,000 kms or a good knock as you say?

Thanks again.

yfin
06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
yfin, how can the alignment be out from day one, i.e. te day when you pick up the car? I may have the same issue but assumed that the car would be perfect and that an alignment does not need to be done till 10,000 kms or a good knock as you say?

You need to remember that these cars are shipped from Japan, put on a truck carrier a few times etc. Alignment can be upset quite easily on the Euro.

Your wheel may point straight but on the freeway drift excessively - I knew within 10 minute of owning the car that the drifting to the left was not normal. Some movement to the left is ok.

I still have some movement but the car tracks much straighter now.

V205
06-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Yes... outside wear usually means under inflation. I go with the highest bearable pressure that doesn't cause uneven wear.

But I believe around 10-15% more than manufacturer's suggestion is a good guide.

The way I see it.. manufacturer's recommendation is possibly the lowest recommended setting.

Welcome!

Tyre pressure... Check them first before the alignment...

If it's on the outer edges, it normally means the tyre is under inflated...

aaronng
06-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Usually it takes longer than 1 month to see the effects of low tyre pressure. And the dealer should have made sure that tyre pressures were in the acceptable range before the car went into the buyer's hands.

Omotesando
10-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Just thought I will mention that in right hand drive cars where cars drive on the left lane - it might wear out the outer right hand tyre's edge a bit faster - due to the constantly tighter radius or circle of left turns, compared to the bigger circle during right turns.

Don't really think the standard 17" tyres (Bridgies 040) are that great - car understeers whenever the turning circle is pretty tight, so obvious in the wet!