PDA

View Full Version : how to get this part off? (eg shape)

Dr4g0n
21-03-2004, 10:46 PM
the part that goes around the head unit, the heater/ac controls, over the top of the steering wheel and around a few other buttons...

i felt behind it and i felt some screws...does this mean i'll have to take the whole dash out to get that part off?

[[d a n n y]]
22-03-2004, 07:45 AM
i dunbno but anything concerning with the dash or near it get it all off

incoming
22-03-2004, 08:47 AM
when i took mine off i had to take off the WHOLE dash!!.... its unbelieveable how many screws are holding that thing

A'PEXi
22-03-2004, 10:32 AM
ummm yeh, ive got the same question but for ek's, couldnt find a place to take the black surround off :P

CAT_SPEW
22-03-2004, 03:41 PM
I ran into this problem when I was painting my interior. We ended up painting it on their :P

bengbear
22-03-2004, 07:05 PM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SR30_H03.gif

Good luck

LatinoHatchCrap
22-03-2004, 07:18 PM
I actually believe that its *clipped in* from behind the actual dash...

incoming
22-03-2004, 10:04 PM
I actually believe that its *clipped in* from behind the actual dash...
trust me man its screwed in :P

Krim
22-03-2004, 10:39 PM
So how can you install a new HU ?

With great difficulty i imagine? ... cant be as bad as a VN Commodore, those cars are bitches to get the HU in :(

vuvu
22-03-2004, 11:27 PM
nah head units are easy
take the bottom thing off under it which holds coins and ashtray+lighter.. 4 screws on the side and then look under the h/u which has a few screws.. take it off and there u got it
peace

wynode
23-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Do you want to take the black bit around the instrument cluster off as well? I can tell you that but I haven't done the bit around the AC cluster.

That's funny stuff bengbear :)

[[d a n n y]]
23-03-2004, 08:44 AM
AC is a bitch it's really hard

u get ur hands cut as well

if ur not carefull

Krim
23-03-2004, 09:01 AM
nah head units are easy
take the bottom thing off under it which holds coins and ashtray+lighter.. 4 screws on the side and then look under the h/u which has a few screws.. take it off and there u got it
peace

cheers ... gotta save up for an mp3 player and put it in ... im guessing running cables for an amp to battery and the back of the car should be a breeze also ? :)

(if ive got half an idea how to do it)

A'PEXi
23-03-2004, 09:32 AM
bengbear got one for ek?

incoming
23-03-2004, 09:51 PM
if ur talking about stock HU...
theres a bolt that holds the deck to the "chassis" part of the car..

vuvu
23-03-2004, 11:12 PM
nah head units are easy
peace

cheers ... gotta save up for an mp3 player and put it in ... im guessing running cables for an amp to battery and the back of the car should be a breeze also ? :)

yeah very very easy
don't need to take nethign else out
just the four screws on the sides.. unplug the ciggy lighter and yank it out
and a couple more screws off the bracket that holds the stock h/u

just remember to not do a dodgy wiring job.. i.e strip wires and twist together plus electrical tape... not good.. they can fall out and short circuit and make a spark and blow up your fuel tank :D
use the bullet things and crimp em onto the wire.. guranteed not to fall out in hard cornering, hard handbraking, hard stopping, hard thumping and anything else hard thats goin on in the car haha :shock:

hmm did i say too much? i must be bored
cheers

Dr4g0n
24-03-2004, 10:40 AM
the fact that it's so easy to get to the head unit is what scares me...it's all too easy for the thief to crack it up with a big screwdriver and he's got it...

can't really secure the head unit in any way... :s

LatinoHatchCrap
24-03-2004, 12:58 PM
detachable face HU :P

Krim
24-03-2004, 03:23 PM
nah head units are easy
peace

yeah very very easy
don't need to take nethign else out
just the four screws on the sides.. unplug the ciggy lighter and yank it out
and a couple more screws off the bracket that holds the stock h/u

just remember to not do a dodgy wiring job.. i.e strip wires and twist together plus electrical tape... not good.. they can fall out and short circuit and make a spark and blow up your fuel tank :D
use the bullet things and crimp em onto the wire.. guranteed not to fall out in hard cornering, hard handbraking, hard stopping, hard thumping and anything else hard thats goin on in the car haha :shock:

hmm did i say too much? i must be bored
cheers

Thanks for info ... hopefully have some spare cash when i get paid next and go out and get one. Will post back how it goes, even a small writeup for other noobs like me 8)

Dr4g0n
24-03-2004, 09:01 PM
it's pretty easy to get the face plate for some brands nowadays...

vuvu
24-03-2004, 10:34 PM
nah not that easy to steal the h/u actually
mines not even screwed on and u can't take the bitch out... but thats cz i got the bracket that came with the h/u
just screw it in real tight with black screws
it'll take the fuker 20 minutes to find it and another 10 minutes to try and unscrew it
peace

Mitch M
25-03-2004, 03:34 PM
nah head units are easy
peace

it isn't too hard man.

mines wired through under the floor.

through behind the pedals, then down the side under the floor and onto the parcel shelf. the floor holdings pop off from memory.

if your wondering why over the parcel shelf, its because my amps are roof mounted ;)

Krim
25-03-2004, 04:23 PM
lol pics plz ? :D

geo41e
18-04-2004, 10:35 AM
bump
l'm doing the EG civic hatch, l've managed to take off the bottom sectio underneath the head unit, but i can't get the head unit out, the previous owner installed a pioneer deck..looks nice..but i need to hook up the RCAs and the sys remote wire.

how do i take out the head unit? do i have to rip out the dash, i can't see any bolts or screws?!@$?!

please help

geo41e
18-04-2004, 11:49 AM
vuvu wrote:
nah head units are easy
peace

what do u mean by 4 bolts on the side?
the side where?
i have an eg hatch

-MuGen PoWer-
18-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Do you want to take the black bit around the instrument cluster off as well? I can tell you that but I haven't done the bit around the AC cluster.

That's funny stuff bengbear :)

hey can you tell me how to take the black bit around the instrument cluster that goes to the airvents in the centre??
i got the same car as u

thanx

Nuttz
18-04-2004, 09:10 PM
bump
l'm doing the EG civic hatch, l've managed to take off the bottom sectio underneath the head unit, but i can't get the head unit out, the previous owner installed a pioneer deck..looks nice..but i need to hook up the RCAs and the sys remote wire.

how do i take out the head unit? do i have to rip out the dash, i can't see any bolts or screws?!@$?!

please help

the head unit is probably in its cradle and you will need the 2 clips to pull it out. They are meant to go down the sides of the head unit and un hook it.

Mitch M
18-04-2004, 10:38 PM
its a piece of piss, its about 8 screws AT MOST

but i think its only 4

it will just take out the center console section ;)

did it when installing my system