PDA

View Full Version : Buying 2nd hand Koni Yellow shocks??

joey_kev
09-12-2005, 09:46 PM
hi all,

I'm buying a set of Koni Yellow shocks off a friend of mine
Are those koni gas or oil shocks?

Because I pushed it and the shock did not bounce back. Does that mean the shocks are no good?

They have been used for about a year. How long do they usually last?

There is no sign of oil outside the shocks, shocks are very clean

quick reply please

bennjamin
10-12-2005, 01:13 AM
Arent koni yellows both gas and oil shocks ?
Try "pushing" the shaft in again with the damper adjusted to 0 ~ should come out slowly.
They should be good for atleast a few years of normal driving. They are totally re-buildable so its not such a issue.
Check for obvious leaks , funny noises as the shock decompresses and also for uneven "rebound" (when comrpessed by hand , watch to see that the shock pushes back out evenly and no jerkiness)

Domokun SPL
11-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Generally, i wouldnt want to be able to compress a shock with my own hands pushing against the ground. Even for a big bloke thats only ~100kg of weight, where 1/4 of a cars weight is what, 300kg.

Best if you were going to buy shocks to get them rebuilt anyway. AFAIK after a year of driving a shock should be fine with no problems, ive had many friends use 2nd hand shocks with no issues. But it all depends how they were treated... (aka, did they race over speed humps, live in the country etc)

joey_kev
11-12-2005, 04:40 PM
how much to get them rebuilt each one??

Domokun SPL
11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
KONI SHOCK ABSORBERS
2 Trade Pl Vermont 3133 (03) 9873 1722

"Hi, Just wanted to get some quotes on rebuild prices for some Koni shocks, just wondering if you could refer me on to some places that could help me out?"

bennjamin
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
KONI SHOCK ABSORBERS
2 Trade Pl Vermont 3133 (03) 9873 1722

"Hi, Just wanted to get some quotes on rebuild prices for some Koni shocks, just wondering if you could refer me on to some places that could help me out?"

:thumbsup: :D

also try www.yellowpages.com.au !

aozora
12-12-2005, 12:02 AM
www.toperformance.com.au

Ask for Marc I think it was... friendly guy :p

BlitZ
12-12-2005, 10:59 AM
always though..
koni red- oil filled
koni yellow - gass filled

diference - oil heats up and ****s itself

Push the shock down,,, if it doesnt come up smoothly or at all its **** itself

shmivic
12-12-2005, 07:02 PM
ive had koni yellows in my car going on 5 years and not one problem v good quality even better when setip with correct sprins ie jamex