PDA

View Full Version : EK Civic fuel filter install problem

ek
10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey everyone,

Got around to replacing the fuel filter on the EK today, although one thing that suprised me was how hard the top bolt needed to be screwed in, or else fuel would leak out.

Has anyone had a similar experience when changing the fuel filter? I just nipped it up, which I thought would be sufficient, although I needed to screw the thing on like a bastard, or else the fuel would leak out.

When I removed the old filter, the top bolt was on quite tight as well.

Is this just the norm?

VTi-R Civic
12-12-2005, 09:43 AM
I'd say it is. I've did mine weekend before last and that is exactly what I found. Thought I had done it up tight enough (but it wasn't). I tightened it up some more an no worries. Keep an eye on it initially and if all is okay after the first decent drive you should be fine in my opinion.

shmivic
12-12-2005, 06:56 PM
yeh mine was v tight too

did you replace the crush washers underneath

i cut my old filter in half afterwards and the paper filter was pure black quess the 11 years of driving took its toll

ECU-MAN
12-12-2005, 08:27 PM
the crush washers need to be replaced like shmivic said. and they do need to be a bit on the tight side.

ek
13-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Yeah the crush washers were replaced. Originally thought I might have got **** crush washers, so I tried the old ones with the same result (fuel pissing out of the filter), but put the new washers on, and did it up real tight and no worries.

Limbo
13-12-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah needs to be on tight because of the fuel pressure in the fuel injection system.
Last time i didn't do it up tight enough and the fuel sprayed around. hehe not good.

btw.. what are people paying for the filter i think its time i changed mine also.

shmivic
13-12-2005, 06:44 PM
around $40 from honda

clikz
15-12-2005, 07:45 AM
Yup paid about $40 for the filter
And I broke the bolt cbecause I torqued it on too tight so let that be a warning. Luckily I got it from a local industrial supplies man for less than $1 or else would've had to wait a good 2 weeks for delivery from Honda for a nice $12 :thumbdwn:

krasyvy
15-12-2005, 07:58 AM
i've bought one of those generic white plastic fuel filters from the auto store, can i use this or do i need the one with the banjo bolt etc...?

shmivic
21-12-2005, 01:14 PM
better to stay with oem parts,, the plastic generic unit prob wont fit the filters holder

ek
21-12-2005, 10:15 PM
You need the metal filter dont you or else the fuel lines will not screw up to the filter?

[ricer]
22-12-2005, 12:55 AM
needs to be an oem part/ or equivilant z463 (ryco part number)
i usually only see the plastic ones on really early model cars