PDA

View Full Version : Help! - n00b with a civic

chuloopa
10-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey everyone... :wave:
I know i will probably get flamed for this.. But first of all, i dont know ANYTHING about cars. :rolleyes:
i really need some opinions from people who know what they are talking about.

I want to personalise my car a bit. Its a '93 Civic hatchback Gli. i will include a picture at the bottom for your reference. I just bought it off my boss recently. The only thing he has done to it is tinted the windows and put on bigger, custom rims.

I want it to both handle well, look good and sound loud and grunty.

So far, from what i have seen, i was thinking halo projector headlights, cold air filter, new headers and a new exhaust system....but dont know..

Can you guys please sugest what you think is best to do to an older civic like this.. i know this car has ALOT of potential... i just dont know what to do.

If you guys could also tell me around about how much each thing would cost me, that would help too. thanks heaps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/trozza/P11-20-05_15.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/trozza/P11-20-05_14.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/trozza/P12-11-05_15.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/trozza/26525.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/trozza/P12-11-05_1567.jpg

SiR JDM
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Hey everyone...
I know i will probably get flamed for this.. But first of all, i dont know ANYTHING about cars.
i really need some opinions from people who know what they are talking about.

I want to personalise my car a bit. Its a '93 Civic hatchback. can't remember the exact model at this time, but i will include a picture at the bottom for your reference. I just bought it off my boss recently. The only thing he has done to it is tinted the windows and put on bigger, custom rims.

I want it to both handle well, look good and sound loud and grunty.

So far, from what i have seen, i was thinking halo projector headlights, cold air filter, new headers and a new exhaust system....but dont know..

Can you guys please sugest what you think is best to do to an older civic like this.. i know this car has ALOT of potential... i just dont know what to do.

If you guys could also tell me around about how much each thing would cost me, that would help too. thanks heaps

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/trozza/P11-20-05_15.jpg

First of all, you shouldn't be gettin flamed for admiting you DONT know much and want some help, so dont worry about that.
Secondly, alot of it is personal preference. Alot of guys on here are really into japanese/american styling of theyre cars (civics inparticular) which is generally just extention lips (as apposed to body kits), some nice race-spec..ish rims (as apposed to big phat chromes rims)... etc

Best bet i think for you would to search the galleries, inparticular american websites and find a few pics of other civics you think look good.. then we can give u more advice on that specific look in regards to what, how, how much, where to get etc etc...

In regard to performance/loudness etc its best if we know your engine specs. From the looks of it to me it seems like a GL or an SI ... the difference is quite significant if your talkin bout intakes, exhusts and headers etc...

Regards to handling again it depends on your budget and what you want in the car. If your after a bit lower looks, and a bit stiffer ride for street handling etc, id recommend just gettin some nice springs (eibach or whiteline for example). If your planning on some track work, or hard street driving.. or just have the luxury of the extra dough to buy a set of coilover suspension (strut/spring combo) then id go for that. Gives you the advantage of adjusting the height pretty much to the desired height (within limits :p) and with minimal difficulty.

Get back to us on what your car is and with looks, find some pics of cars you think look nice and post them up so we can get a better of an idea in which direction you want to take your car interms of cosmetics. :thumbsup:

ACTI0NMAN-1
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
could yo take a photo of the engine, so i know what i'm dealing with?

chuloopa
10-12-2005, 11:55 PM
yeh sorry for the vagueness.

I'll take a photo of the engine in it and check the exact model tomorrow. I'd do it now, but its sitting out back of work at the moment. haha

thanks for the help at the mo tho. I'll get back to you tomorrow night on what i was looking at and the engine so you can recomend some stuff.

thanks again

SiR JDM
11-12-2005, 12:05 AM
No need for a pic of the engine, just which model it is Gl/SI etc will be enough for us to give you some proper advice...

You should post in the intro section to say hello say where your from etc =]

chuloopa
11-12-2005, 12:12 AM
You should post in the intro section to say hello say where your from etc =]

will do mate, thanks

mercury
11-12-2005, 02:10 AM
just dont "rice" it up.

u do know the term "rice" right?

all bling bling no show ..please specially on a civic, unless u want to get laughed at. These cars are great, good on fuel, lots of mod options, practical for any driver. You mentioned you wanted to get headers, exhaust... thats good get those first it will free up some HP. Also look into getting a cold air intake if you can. Oh unless its carbied. yeh take shots of the engine so we can see what we are dealing with.

cheers.

p.s dont put projectors.. i guarantee within a year.. they will go out of style. Spend the money on a cold air intake. If you are in sydney $250 can get one for ya installed.

notorious_ahmie
11-12-2005, 02:35 AM
another good mod to do as well man is to drop ur car like its hawt..makes a big diff..

uve got the black mouldings as well on the side...colour code them

well need to know if its carby or not..so u can get CAI..now ur car will have better response as well with that put on

when i had my stock civic..i got a full system put on which included headers and highflow cat with manderal bent pipin(which has better airflow than normal stock pipin) with labour for round the 800$ mark

i like halos..there sexy piked mine up for 330$

hope ive helped ya a lil

VTi_b0i
11-12-2005, 02:39 AM
yehh ahmie, whered u get ur halos from? :)
and whered ur exhaust go? hehe

notorious_ahmie
11-12-2005, 02:41 AM
got the halos from ebay from some guy in america and the exhaust...well it went to a special car vtc000 ;)

VTi_b0i
11-12-2005, 02:42 AM
haha thanks bro...
i want chrome halossss :'(

notorious_ahmie
11-12-2005, 02:43 AM
yeh they have em on ebay..check it out bro

chuloopa
11-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, just updated original post with new pictures of the engine and the rims incase any of you wanted to see..i think they look pretty cool personally :P pretty industrial, like myself.

Anyway it is a 93 civic Gli
I'm pretty sure it runs off a carby... you guys should be able to see in the pics tho.
So let me know what you think.
My boss's cousin also works at caulder park and a mechanic, so any upgrade iwant i can get pretty easy.. and without instalation costs, which is mad haha.

Also, thanks for all the awesome replies. You guys have been awesome. thanks.

EDIT: and i dont want a riced up car either... i dont like cars that are all bling... at all.. as i said, anything visual would be kinda minor, i just want somthing different than stock that looks, feels and sounds good. Somthing that will perform for me. I hate cars that are all looks and no go

EDIT EDIT: Its also auto, if that matter much

notorious_ahmie
11-12-2005, 11:25 PM
with the pik of eng bay..i think thats an airfilter..u can get a nice pod which gives ur eng more of a beasty noise!!but once u get the exhaust u dont hear it anymore

VTC-8OY
12-12-2005, 07:52 AM
i know it's been sed millions of times, n sick of hearing it but sersly.. not worth doing any internal mods to that engine, jus save the money for an engine conversion instead

DannyB
12-12-2005, 11:34 AM
there are heaps of cools things that have been suggested ...stuff like colour coding mouldings, debadging, slammin her on her arse, 2"inch zorst and yeah i dig the response bout the projectors.... what was the name of the dealer notorious?? Even stuff like aftermarket front and rear lips are an awesome mod too ....let us know how you go bro!!! And WELCOME!!!!

mercury
12-12-2005, 01:09 PM
that fuel injected. GLi motor.

u can put a pod filter in there if u want. Get a cold air intake though for performance.

chuloopa
12-12-2005, 02:39 PM
yeah i was definatly thinking a cold air intake would be good to slap in there.

and i wont even be bothered spending the money to replace the engine... I'll save that for my muscle car that i'm working on too lol. i dont see much point in replaceing the entire engine here. I just want to give it that extra little bit so that she will stand out just a little better. I dont like having cars that are all stock that much... a car's gotta have a hint of personality.
I already have her lined up to be dropped anyway. I forgot to mention that earlier.. i'm having some new springs imported and i'm going to drop it by about an inch or maybe a lil more.. depending....

thanks for all the sugestions so far guys! keep em coming! there are no wrong answers! haha