PDA

View Full Version : D16Y4 turbo

WANKFACTR
11-12-2005, 06:42 PM
hey guys i need some advise

i have a 1998 civic cxi hatch and well i stuck on a ecu as not sure which is the best for my motor mods are
t3 turbo from rb20det
rb20det fuel pump/might upgrade to a walbro
ca18 injectors/thinking of gettign bigger ones
20 thou over sized low compression pistonsthinking of upgrading to forged
forged rods
600x300x75 front mount intercooler
blow off valve
and thinking of getting a 75shot of nos later on
electronic boost controller
heavy duty clutch
light weight flywheel

anyway i know that most of the ecu comes down to who is tuning it but is there one ecu out there that stand out from the rest with my motor and set up

i am getting a cam middle of next year to

i am looking at running 12psi daily and for those times when i want a liltle more i wanna put in 15-18psi. i am hoping for a 14 second quarter mile.

Weq
11-12-2005, 09:45 PM
u will need atleast 550cc injectors for 18psi.

440cc injectors can do 14psi but thats pushing it.. the CA injectors arnt even close to that.

walbro's are cheap, no idea about the rb pump though. never seen one run.

The T3 wont support over 12psi of boost though. its a ceramic wheel. id recommend a T28 or some sort. but thats upto u :) piston wise, jimmeh on here can hook u up with some wiesco pistons. great product.

*bennjamin edit Dont hijack dude*

flywheel id go ACT streetlite and ECU id go hondata *breath* or microtech. boost controller, turbosmart, greddy, apxi its upto u and ur budget. leave the NOS to the NA guys :)

yourfather
11-12-2005, 10:39 PM
why bother with forgies if you're going to run a ****ty old turbo.

string
12-12-2005, 10:33 AM
why bother with forgies if you're going to run a ****ty old turbo.
a) Better safe than sorry. Plus they aren't very expensive.
b) If he is going to upgrade to a larger turbo in the first place, then why not get the forgies now and save any hasles which may come about from weak as **** stock pistons.

superR
12-12-2005, 07:32 PM
i dont know why you call your self wank factor....thats just weird. Most ecus will be able to handle your set up and be able to accomidate for future mods such as nos
autronic is a great ecu and comes highly recomended to me by a nuber of tuners....however it also comes at a resonably high price too which is why i dont have one :o .
As you said above it will come down to the preference of who is tuning the car..... most tuners have differing opinions of which ecu is the "best".

yourfather
13-12-2005, 02:34 AM
a) Better safe than sorry. Plus they aren't very expensive.
b) If he is going to upgrade to a larger turbo in the first place, then why not get the forgies now and save any hasles which may come about from weak as **** stock pistons.

yeah of course better safe than sorry, but if he's using a T3 out of an RB20, whats the point. spend how much on the turbo, and then how much on the engine, wouldn't you be better spending like MORE on the turbo first time round, and getting it done RIGHT the first time, than having to upgrade turbo later down the track, with a re-tune.

duh

LVNIT
13-12-2005, 08:17 AM
Been in a car with the T3 turbo from an RB20? Its highly likely that you havnt

I ran one on my b16, spools up nice and early, holds boost all the way to redline. Fine turbo if you are not going to push it over 12psi

yourfather
13-12-2005, 11:37 AM
i am looking at running 12psi daily and for those times when i want a liltle more i wanna put in 15-18psi. i am hoping for a 14 second quarter mile.

so its still not suitable

LVNIT
13-12-2005, 11:46 AM
If he wants a 14 second quarter mile then I dont see why not

You might want to add a twin cam head too, the SOHC heads struggle, valve size restricts them greatly, props to Dyno Dave for that information ;)

EDIT: If you just wants a 14 second mile, why are building the engine up? No need..

yourfather
14-12-2005, 04:18 AM
oh yeah of course mate, thats what I was saying at the start man. :D

but I mean, Weq said T3's from RB20's can only run 12psi, cuz they're ceramic etc... blah blah, and he said he wants to run up to 18 pound.

:D

so, we do agree

jimmeh
14-12-2005, 05:20 AM

but I mean, Weq said T3's from RB20's can only run 12psi, cuz they're ceramic etc... blah blah, and he said he wants to run up to 18 pound.

so, we do agree

weq doesnt have a t3:D:D

LVNIT
14-12-2005, 08:48 AM

so, we do agree

Maybe he wants to run 18psi for the wankfactor? :p

On a serious note, if you only want to run around a 14 second quarter mile then honestly I dont see the need in spending all that money on an engine build up. The same can be said for spending all that money on the engine set up and only spending $200 on an old turbine, unless its been rebuilt/highflowed etc

This all goes on experience aswell, do it right the first time or spend more money later

yourfather
15-12-2005, 05:01 AM
YEAH! which was exactly what I was saying at the start of the thread, why spend thousands on your engine if you're going to spend 200 bucks on a ****ty turbo

WANKFACTR
17-12-2005, 01:50 PM
ok guys i have the turbo and pistons already and the turbo is fully rebuilt and it came off a car running 18psi for drags (which is the only time i wanna use that much boost) with no problems and my name is what was on my number plates cause the car use to look good have all the wank but none of the go.
and putting a twin cam head on would defete the perpose of what i wanted to create i want to prove that you dont need to put much into a d16y4 to make them go hard. i going to use a ems stinger full aftermarket computer.

Weq
17-12-2005, 02:03 PM
well i know a guy who just did exactly what u wanted with a d16y4. the head just doesnt flow and maxed out at 170kw at 21psi. He is going to do a mini-me now with a d16 y8 head. Alot of aftermarket support for them.

Unless u get some serious headwork going, and a custom camshaft, ur gonna struggle to pass 180kw. with any street turbo.

LVNIT
17-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Weq is right here mate, the head just struggles to make that much power, its very restrictive. Ever seen the size of the valves?

yourfather
21-12-2005, 04:21 AM
they're like the size of a KFC straw.

DynoDave
21-12-2005, 06:53 AM
The cyl head will restrict outright power even turboed and the intake manifold is the MAJOR restriction as they are designed for low rpm torque and the STD TB is only 54mm.Wankfactor your choice of ECU is ok but you will need someone that knows how to get the best out of them,fuel pump go the Walbro much better and a direct bolt in,injectors I would only ever use MSD or RC in a Honda but your ECU choice will also allow you to use other types and really need to be around the 550cc as a min.

Regards Dyno Dave

menace
07-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Guys my mate has a turboed EK Cxi.

He has spent allot of money on the thing actually. He bought the car new btw...

I can't remember every single mod he has done but i'll list what i can remember...

Microtech
550cc Injectors
9.1:1 Forgies
Eagle Rods
Turbo Spec cam from the US.
Ajustable Cam Gear
Stiffer valve springs
T3 turbo not sure of A/R ratios.
Oil Cooler kit
Upgraded Radiator
Hybrid Cooler with 2.5" piping...
Elec Boost Controller
2.5 Mandrel zorst (Turbo back)
Standard inlet manifold...

He is currently making 187kw atw on 18 psi

menace
07-03-2006, 01:59 PM
His got a external wastegate as well...

terroristone
12-03-2006, 04:11 PM
its worth doing. i put an AVO turbo kit on my friends 97 civic. but with a microtech ecu.
on street tyres on friday night at calder i ran 13.885 @ 98.11mph.
The only problem at the track was trying to get good traction. i couldnt better a 2.273 60 foot. thats also with standard suspension. in the future will look at some coil overs and possibly some slicks....and maybe leave the gearbox on the start line...but will deal with that when it shows itself.
Regards Andrew

Weq
12-03-2006, 05:13 PM
just launch from redline. thats how slicks and civic's like it :)

terroristone
12-03-2006, 05:16 PM
on standard tyres there was no chance of that, god knows i did try.
but when the slicks come into play believe me i will be doing just that.
im prepared to leave the gearbox on the start line, if it dosn't break then there will be some better numbers on the board.
Regards Andrew.