PDA

View Full Version : Best amp for my Kicker DC12

Rico
13-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Ok I know ive talked about this ages ago, but now I need some advice. Currently I have a Kicker DC12 (Two 12" black subs in the box)
Sub specs (http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5946/specs9nx.jpg)
Before I ran it off a pioneer amp for like 2 weeks before I just took them out. The amp was meant for speakers not sub, the idiot being me, bought it for the brand anyways.
I was just about to purchase the $900rrp kicker amp from JB (my friend was discounting it to $690 for me) cause I was told this would be the best amp for my system. Just wondering if this is a good price for this amp as I really need something good if not awesome, but also need to spare some money for future rims.
Anyone recommend amps, prices and locations in Sydney at affordable cheap uni student prices lol, thanks.

EGB16A
13-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Ok I know ive talked about this ages ago, but now I need some advice. Currently I have a Kicker DC12 (Two 12" black subs in the box)
Sub specs (http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5946/specs9nx.jpg)
Before I ran it off a pioneer amp for like 2 weeks before I just took them out. The amp was meant for speakers not sub, the idiot being me, bought it for the brand anyways.
I was just about to purchase the $900rrp kicker amp from JB (my friend was discounting it to $690 for me) cause I was told this would be the best amp for my system. Just wondering if this is a good price for this amp as I really need something good if not awesome, but also need to spare some money for future rims.
Anyone recommend amps, prices and locations in Sydney at affordable cheap uni student prices lol, thanks.

If they are 300rms like specs say, i'd be wanting a kicker 600.1 :D If budget is an issue, i'd get the Jcar mono block. JB hifi is a rip off! I only take my business to one audio shop in sydney, cause they consistantly have great prices... PM if your interested

IN73GZ
13-12-2005, 05:44 PM
they are 300rms together, they are only 150rms EACH, JB have a mono amp made by Coustic which is perfect for these subs, im looking at gettin them myself soon.
it retails for around $420 and ur mate should be able to discount ontop of that.
they coustic amp is around 400rms too.
Coustic is actually made by the brand MTX it just have a different cover on it

Fhrx
13-12-2005, 06:20 PM
While Kicker is a fantastic brand I would suggest that you chose carefully because there is better equipment around for similar money. Let me know if you want me to elaborate. :)

Rico
13-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Well Fhrx, your last post in my last thread was mind blowing lol overload of info, all I am asking is for someone to recommend an amplifier solemly for my pair of subs that will power it substantially. I am considering going up to paying $700 but only on a rare occasion. I would prefer to get an amp somewhere in sydney pick up or delivered, for a cheaper price. So any information relating to that, feel free to tell me, where and how.

Thanks.

EGB16A
13-12-2005, 09:03 PM
they are 300rms together, they are only 150rms EACH, JB have a mono amp made by Coustic which is perfect for these subs, im looking at gettin them myself soon.
it retails for around $420 and ur mate should be able to discount ontop of that.
they coustic amp is around 400rms too.
Coustic is actually made by the brand MTX it just have a different cover on it

I thought they were 300rms each.... my bad...

in that case kicker 400.1 :D i'm a little bias, but i've been through a fair few amps, and my kickers have been the best bang for buck IMO.

I picked up a 400.1 for around $400 if it helps

Bluish
13-12-2005, 10:08 PM
if they can handle 300wrms each, i think Alpine MRD-M600 would be suitable, check them out

IN73GZ
13-12-2005, 10:35 PM
naa definately 150rms each, but its 300rms combined so u need a monoblock amp capable of that, u can buy the kicker 400.1 as EGb16a has recommended or just get the Coustic one which will do the exact same thing just save u some money. ive already done the research for this pair of subs so u can take onboard wat i have to say or disregard it, up 2 u

Rico
13-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Alright I might go for the Kicker 400.1 aslong as that'll be good for the subs, $400 retail? I'll look around first, otherwise anyone know any cheap places to pick this up?

J-MuN
14-12-2005, 12:04 AM
The DC12's will be sufficiently powered by the Kicker 04KX400.1 but also mentioned the Coustic AMP800DB which is rated at 400rms @ 2ohms will also run them very well.

Rico
14-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys, I might stick with the Kicker for the kicker sub to kicker amp aspect and I'll see if I can get a deal on them from my mate at JB, otherwise go to the Coustic. But thanks for the help, looks like you guys saved me like $200+ which I can spend on my rims =D

Fhrx
14-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Always remember to compare the specs (http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#21) when buying an amplifier too. ;)

EGB16A
14-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Alright I might go for the Kicker 400.1 aslong as that'll be good for the subs, $400 retail? I'll look around first, otherwise anyone know any cheap places to pick this up?

that wasn't retail price, but you should be able to pick one up for similar money.

and as Fhrx stated, compare specs before you take the plunge.
Let us know how you go man.

J-MuN
14-12-2005, 09:36 PM
The retail of the 04KX400.1 is $589 at JB. You should be able to pick it up for around $450 (give or take). If you bargain them hard enough, you'll be able to get it just under, I know this cos I work at JB. :)

Rico
16-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Well I checked out fhrx but the amount of amps they had was too much lol, anyways my friend hooked me up today pretty good with the 400.1 and I got it for $423.50 hahaha whereas JB has it going for $600? RRP is 585 anyways very weird, mounted it in the boot, its pretty good, sound quality is pretty much the same, if not worse than the pioneer amp however it pumps 4 times as loud, basically it hasnt cut out yet (got it up to volume 58 before speakers got distorted, and the pioneer usually cuts out at volume 22.). and it comes with a seperate switch that allows you to control the sub power from where ever you place it!! Overall I'm happy.