PDA

View Full Version : Jazz high speed trip report

claymore
14-12-2005, 01:55 AM

jazcivic
14-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Greetings to everyone, this is my first posting on the Forum.

Claymore, thanks for reporting on the interesting test run. Long drives certainly expose any little quirks and annoyances– high-speed wind noise and the ‘tolerable’ noise from the Mugen exhaust.
Could you notice any performance improvement after installation of the Mugen exhaust, beside the change in exhaust note?

Water temperature readings - you must have installed a temperature gauge to be able to provide us with readings. The Oz Jazz only come with a cold-hot indicator on the dash instruments– unless your hot chilly Thai version is different.
I wonder where I could purchase an engine temperature sensor kit with a small LCD readout (non intrusive + ergonomics) in order to locate it close to the instrument cluster?
Any suggestions from the Oz Honda forum would be most welcome.

11.29 Km/litre is good considering the high cruising speed you were maintaining. My Jazz gets 14km/litre with city driving and have achieved 17km/litre on country driving at 110kph (with 4 on board) at a more leisurely pace, would love to cruise at 140-160 with impunity, but couldn’t afford the speeding fines and demerit points.

I sympathise with your predicament being so close-up and personal with the water buffalo at 160kph – 5 times the weight of a full-grown kangaroo + humongous horns to boot!

Cheers for the coming festive season and safe driving.

MRFIT
14-12-2005, 12:01 PM
fantastic report Claymore, *thumbs up*......

last year i did a trip and cruised at around 160km mark for about an hour..... and u r right, the wind noise it is starting to annoying after a while, but the car felt great at that speed, the fastest i did was 187km and had to stop due a bend coming up.....

and when u say cutting out the mesh section of the grill...... wouldn't your engine bay covered in dead bugs??? :D i had mesh put in the front bar to cover the radiator, just to avoid bugs and loose stones damaging the radiator.....

panda[cRx]
14-12-2005, 08:42 PM
what an essay of a thread. just a word of advice: don't mention any illegal street driving on these forums in the future

ie. "The 190 blast was in 5th (manual trans) and done while travelling at 170 and just stepping on it (no downshift) it gets up to 185 fairly quickly then it takes awhile to go faster than that, but it was still pulling when I let off"

bennjamin
14-12-2005, 09:01 PM
keep the silly speeds to the track.

fitboy
14-12-2005, 09:13 PM
What did u guys have done to ur cars to have such high speed?? i want to know more.
thanks

Catcha
14-12-2005, 11:30 PM
keep the silly speeds to the track.

Well in the Northern Territory is basically no limit on a certain stretch or the Stuart Highway :D

Catcha
14-12-2005, 11:33 PM
What did u guys have done to ur cars to have such high speed?? i want to know more.
thanks

My car is stock :D

Catcha
14-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Well just one thought, I wasn't in OZ ???

Must be the Thailand model that is faster :D

ACE888
16-12-2005, 10:02 PM
187km/hr? how? i think your car is a manual model

bcos i can only hit 150-155km/hr or maybe a bit more at the end of Wakefield.... but then maybe it's bcos I'm scared shi7less of that 1st corner kink when you have to break very very hard, the car just wobbles like jelly.......

vividjazz
17-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Well in the Northern Territory is basically no limit on a certain stretch or the Stuart Highway :D

All of NT is speed unlimited except built up areas. ie towns and Darwin.

You cross the border from Queensland and it announces that it is speed unlimited except where sign posted and for road trains then another sign announces that speed and red light cameras are used throughout the Northern Territory.

bennjamin
17-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Well just one thought, I wasn't in OZ ???

but this is an australian forum , and australian rules and censorship apply.

EDIT ~ regardless of what speed limits apply in NT either - this forum is national based and the general speed limit is 110 km/h :)

Still , you are talking of silly speeds in ANY car... Seriously , in future either make "subtle" hints of indicated speed or just keep this crap out of our forum thanks.

vividjazz
17-12-2005, 09:46 AM
187km/hr? how? i think your car is a manual model

bcos i can only hit 150-155km/hr or maybe a bit more at the end of Wakefield.... but then maybe it's bcos I'm scared shi7less of that 1st corner kink when you have to break very very hard, the car just wobbles like jelly.......

Wakefield main straight is like only 1km long. The Fit has to still be speed limited to 180km/hr in Japan like all cars in Japan and 200km/hr for all bikes. It is obviously capable of over 180 but the Northern Territory is the only place to find out or a much longer straight than Wakefield. An airport runway or Conrod straight (when public road closed).

We used to hit 160 at the end of Wakfield in the Holden HQs but could wind it fully out down Conrod at bathurst limited by the 3 speed manual gearbox.

As Dick Johnson used to say - The road is not a race track. Despite attempts by Holden and Ford to draw some sort of similarity between showroom cars and V8 supercars, track cars are properly setup for their purpose.

Catcha
17-12-2005, 11:03 AM
All of NT is speed unlimited except built up areas. ie towns and Darwin.

You cross the border from Queensland and it announces that it is speed unlimited except where sign posted and for road trains then another sign announces that speed and red light cameras are used throughout the Northern Territory.

Half the red light cameras here in Darwin don't even work and from what I know they are only set up at 3 major traffic lights. don't know about alice or Katherine etc.......only gotta watchout out for a speed cams in populated areas :thumbsup:

Certain parts of the Stuart Highways is unlimited, I haven't need to venture off the Queensland border to see reach the unlimited section. :D

I would say most people that own performance cars have at least taken car into this Zone for quick fang . But there has been debate is what is an acceptable limit in the Northern Territory and with tourist that are unfamiliar with our roads adds to the death toll here. You can still get booked for doing stupid speeds BUT usually there is no to really enforce it out in that area.

Andys
17-12-2005, 06:59 PM
Nice high-speed trip! But, claymore, please do yourself a favour and get your transmission fluid changed twice as frequently as the manual states. Trust me, its cheap insurance. The engine's fine, but I think the tranny is the weak point in the Jazz. Thats assuming you have CVT. But even changing tranny fluid in a manual is a good idea.

Felix
17-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Nice write up

But remember you are driving a Jazz.. LOL.

but as I blast along at speed of sound

muli
18-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Nice write up

no trolls wanted here

vividjazz
18-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Nice write up

WOW 7 year old car. Bit like still using a 286 computer. Would be absolute vintage material in Japan where is costs a fortune to register cars older than 5 years.

kimo
19-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Does the stock grille have mesh

The most effective "modification" I made was done for FREE but cost an hour of my time. Before cutting out the mesh sections of the grille it would run at about 185-190f on long sections and in traffic it would rise to about 210f (sorry I don't know the centigrade). By just cutting out the mesh and leaving the rest of the grille in place the temperature dropped to a steady 180 and never gets above 200 even in heavy traffic.

Why this way you fan will start lower and be on more time.

That is a good deal for free but the last thing I want to modify is to install the Spoon 160 degree thermostat and fan switch for an even lower running temperature. And yes I know the lower temperature will result in a slight decrease in fuel efficiency but as I blast along at speed of sound do you think I am concerned about using fuel NOT.

The one thing that bothered me the most with the Jazz on the whole trip was WIND NOISE. At any speed above about 25m/s the wind rushing over the mirrors would start making a slight "whistling" noise and for short lengths of time if was no bother but running along for 2-3 hours in a stretch at whatever it became a pain in the ass to listen to.

One more slight pain in the ass is the position of the window switches. I drive with the seat almost all the way back and if I drop my hand off the wheel to open the window without looking my hand ends up on the switch for the REAR windows and I end up lowering the rear window a small amount before I realize I am opening the wrong window. It gets some strange looks at the tollbooths.

The final section of this report is to say there are some good advice posts in the forum. I had never heard of using a "Clay Bar" on your paint to clean off spots before reading a submission in the appearance section that talked about "Clay Bars" and how to use them. After a 1600 km trip at night the front of my car was covered in dead BUGS of all sizes, colors, and shapes and on my old car they left slight "spots" in the paint, from the acid in their bodies, even when I washed them off right away. When I was at the Bangkok Motor show last week I bought one from Japan and I can't tell you the brand because the writing on the box is in Japanese it was only 300 baht ($7.50US). The first thing I did when I got home was to wash my Jazz and even after hard washing and rubbing the "spots" from the bugs were still there. I broke out that "Clay Bar" and started to work. It was amazing in a short time with very little work the spots were GONE. They are very easy to use and it was the best investment in car products I have made in a long time. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that if you are interested in keeping your ride looking good buy one today and use it.

Well that's the end of this trip report I hope you enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Felix
19-12-2005, 04:30 PM
WOW 7 year old car. Bit like still using a 286 computer. Would be absolute vintage material in Japan where is costs a fortune to register cars older than 5 years.

Yep thats right my car IS an old piece of ****... Vintage, what ever.
Guys I was just playing around, why do most Jazz drivers have to be so serious, and can't take a simple little joke.

An F1 doesnt even travel at the speed of sound.....

And why would I care what my car is like in Japan! I Don't live in japan, and never plan to.... :D

kimo
19-12-2005, 06:48 PM
You mean you cut only behind the H logo not at the grill itself
With what did you cut it, as it looks diffcult to do that, and is it worth all that, as the opening will be small, so I don't think these will help much flow and what benfit just few air at the radiator.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/6316logo_gold-med.jpg

If you look closely at the photo you can see the grille type around and behind the gold "H" logo that is gone now, and the rest of the "X" type insert in the rest of the grille that is what I cut out.