PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shafts??

LowEk
14-12-2005, 05:03 PM
hey my car is well...... i spose VERY low im just curious cos ive been reading on Honda-Tech that a few guys have broken a few cv boots and joints but mainly cv boots with there car being so low but im not to sure on what they call low cos there was no pics. they have been saying that they have been replacing them every few months whould i not have too much of a problem cos my car is not boosted i thought it may be cos its low and running more power hence more pressure on the boots/joints?? here is a few pics of my car anyway...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/MPR55/DSC00891.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/MPR55/DSC00894.jpg

cheers.

shmivic
14-12-2005, 06:51 PM
your height is fine
the boots usually split due to age

Limbo
14-12-2005, 07:09 PM
boots also split due to things catching on them. Just check how high the boots are from the ground. Usually you don't have a problem unless you hit a large rock or object right in the middle.

CVs generally break from too much power or unless your in an accident they last over 100,000km

bennjamin
14-12-2005, 07:34 PM
the "height" of the boot is unchanged at its largest / most relevant part ( right at the hub) ~ the other side of the CV boot would lower somewhat compared to stock tho.

Since CV joints work in a range of angles i cannot see how lowering the car actually affects them ? Maybe at such a lowered stance the the driveshafts are actually FLAT in comparison to the diff housing , and more stress is put on them ? Or other forces come into play thru the suspension at that lower angle ?

LowEk
14-12-2005, 07:42 PM
yeh thanks i only ask cos ive been reading H-T and they said cos there car is low but they must be breaking them thru power then being to low. i dont think the angle of my shalfs are a problem at all i cant really see thou cos the car is to low and cant see em.

Rgds.

SKREMN
14-12-2005, 10:22 PM
The angel of the shaft effects it dramatically
i changed 2 left and 2 right shafts last year all within 12 months and one boot due to my car being so low
after all this i raised the car 10mm and then the problem stopped
i had it raised like this for 6 months and it never failed

since then i got my cv's upgraded to ones from a prelude they are larger and then lowerd my car back down to the original hight
i have adjustable sussy

to acually prove the point as i left the susspention joint as i just got the car dropped from stock to 3 1/2" all round i did the traditional burnout up the street or tried to
as i droped it in first gear the whell spun for 2 seconds and then snapped the shaft
so it changed the angel and then ceated more pressure on the cv's

LowEk
15-12-2005, 06:12 AM
yeh thanks scremn im not to sure how much ive lowered my car from stock i would say it would have to be atleast 3 1/2' ive got coilovers too ive still got 5mm left to go down at the front but its low enough now. from what i can see you have had a few vtec's in your car ive only got a D16 at the moment till next year when i upgrade. i might try today to measure how much my cv's are off the ground and what angle they are and ill let you know.

cheers.

bennjamin
15-12-2005, 10:39 AM
first hadn experience there - So , the lower you go ~ the slower you should go !

Domokun SPL
15-12-2005, 10:56 PM
How do you turn a corner fast without rubbing gaurd onto wheel?

LowEk
16-12-2005, 06:25 AM
i have coilovers that are sota stiff i dont have that much trouble with scrubbing.

Domokun SPL
16-12-2005, 06:42 AM
Well at least its good to see that you are keeping in line with your username, "LowEk" :)

LowEk
16-12-2005, 08:41 AM
yep yep La...........