PDA

View Full Version : exhaust rattle

[XsCaPe]
14-12-2005, 06:44 PM
hey guys

my resonator had a fair sized hole in it (damn lowered car and speedhumps) so i went to the exhaust shop and got them to just cut it out and replace it with a straight pipe.

now my car makes a rattle / tinny / vibrating sound under load at about 2.5k - 3k rpm.. it goes away and then comes back a bit later on in the rev range. at the 5800 cross over it either goes away or is drowned out by intake noise.

ive got the stock vtir exhaust on there still (although the guy at the exhaust shop said it looks like somebody has replaced the cat back but left the standard muffler on there... is stock vtir 2.25"?)...

i have no idea what the noise is, hoping you guys could help me.. seems to be coming from either out of the muffler or somewhere under the drivers seat. no heat shield on the cat.

could it just be that i need a resonator?

JRC
14-12-2005, 06:48 PM
have you got a short shifter???

[XsCaPe]
14-12-2005, 07:06 PM
no, stock shifter..

injektd
14-12-2005, 07:15 PM
had the same thing on my car, turned out to be the brackets holding the exhaust up front (not the one holding the muffler up)

should be easily fixed...

superR
14-12-2005, 08:41 PM
same , apparently they snap pretty regularly..... i just welded mine back up and bolted it into place.

newmski
17-12-2005, 01:02 PM
i have this noise too after getting new piping and muffler (and removed stock resonator). i just had a quick look at the weld and it seems to be ok on mine. Did your bracket snap at the weld between it and the pipe?

locote
18-12-2005, 03:50 PM
i got same noise, and a short shifter and i can feel the shifter rattling when i go into 2nd, got used to it.

TRU32U
18-12-2005, 04:55 PM
friend had it in her car when her car came bak frm smash repairers it was cause the pipe was hitting the body...
find out where its rattling and TRY bend it down or be creative and weld on another bracket that seperates it from the body
YO!