PDA

View Full Version : US vs AUS

d16tuner
16-09-2003, 04:38 PM
After checking out the model list, I still can't tell the Aussie equivalent of my EK. 98 EX (127hp, vtec, sohc, d16y8) sedan. Does your EK sedan have disk brakes all around? In the US we're stuck with drum in back. If yours are disk, I wonder how hard it would be to do a swap?

wynode
16-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Where abouts are you from d16tuner?

Looks to me like you have the SOHC VTEC engine from our EK VTI civic coupe (its in the civic model listing in the sticky!!).

The disk/drum conversion shouldn't be too hard, but I doubt you'd see a huge improvement. Maybe consider a front disk upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Teggy-Vtir
16-09-2003, 04:58 PM
our ek sedan comes with all 4 disc breaks =)

Weq
16-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Yer since 92, all the Honda VTi's have come with 4discs

A'PEXi
16-09-2003, 08:51 PM
i have a 98 sohc non-v, has 4 discs, so im guessing it wont be hard :) model number is EK1.

d16tuner
17-09-2003, 01:15 AM
Kentucky USA,

You guys suck. :) For that matter the whole rest of the world! We in the US get all the crap. Totally unfair. Don't we deserve cars that haven't been watered down?

Grumble, grumble...

Actually, some guys in another forum are saying it is an easy swap from a half-dozen US market cars with rear disks, even tho the cars have different bodies so I'll probably try one of those. Easier than sourcing cars parts from 12,000 mi away!

But thanks.

toE
17-09-2003, 01:46 AM
aww...dont just go yet...

stick around!!

indulge us with the US Honda scene matie!!

crx_16x
17-09-2003, 01:48 AM
Like your crx's man,

I find it so funny seeing websites where guys in the USA swap ZC's into their crx's and think it's the best thing when in Australia our cars came out with that engine (d16a8). hehe 8)

The reason why the USA gets shit all in the way of specifications (ie engines, brakes etc) is that generally people in the USA dont service their cars as well as people in other countries.
(I am quoting an ad from Nissan here so dont hate me)

Proper servicing in hondas especially is extremely important for engine longevity/reliablity etc. Thats why you guys dont get the good stuff!!!

When they realise the r35 gtr in the usa it is coming out with a v8 because that is easier to look after.

Regards,
James.

d16tuner
17-09-2003, 07:39 AM
R35? Doesn't ring a bell. Closest thing I can think of is the Infinity (Nissan) G35 which I'm pretty sure is an 280hp inline 6. And HEY part of it is the fact we don't have access to high-octane gas at the pump. Here in KY I'm lucky to have 93 if I need it. In a lot of states they don't have anything better than 91. Everything high performance sold here is detuned anyway because of the fuel. :x
But you are right, a lot of people think if they just put gas in it'll run to 300,000 miles no prob :roll:

I think I spend more time wrenching on my stock civic than I do driving it. I just like it, altho I can't say whether I'm doing more harm than good...

toE
17-09-2003, 10:38 AM
you got a pic of ur ride dude??

post it in the Intro...

XXpl0Sive
17-09-2003, 11:34 AM
crx_16x, Skylines are quite rare in the U.S..but surely you've heard of a 32, 33, or 34 'GTR'? It's only the KING of street cars :lol:

I think what you say may be true, eg. The 200sx in the states is the 240sx, it has 2.4ltr n/a engine which is a complete bummer :cry:

[G]
17-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Like your crx's man,

When they realise the r35 gtr in the usa it is coming out with a v8 because that is easier to look after.

Regards,
James.

Im pretty sure were getting the same...Cos nissan wanna compete with Holden and ford apparently.

VTi-RT
17-09-2003, 11:56 AM
The R35 will be sold under Infinity in the States, possibly called the G35....

Our EK Civic's come with Disc's all round, but our engines are slightly different hence the D16Y7 specification.

In the past you guys missed out on the VTi-R hatches etc... but it looks like you guys are getting the new 2 door hatches and maybe the type-r hatch.

wynode
17-09-2003, 12:15 PM
In the past you guys missed out on the VTi-R hatches etc... but it looks like you guys are getting the new 2 door hatches and maybe the type-r hatch.

Yeah but they were luckier than us because they got the DOHC VTEC coupe which is much better looking than the hatch.

The new skyline is a V8 and its going to be called the GTR AFAIK.

d16tuner
17-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Yep, same car. It is the Infinity G35 here. It is available with a 260hp (sedan) or 280hp (coupe) V6 (not v8). It looks like we are finally catching up with the rest of the world as far as Nissan is concerned.

We got the Mazda Rx8 this year - rated at like 238 hp if memory serves.
Also got the WRX STI (300 hp) and EVO 8 (270 hp) this year.
We didn't even have the base WRX until around 2002! Just the standard 2.0 Impreza and 2.5 liter RS.

I have to say, things are finally looking better here now... It's just too bad all I can do is look and drool!

wynode
17-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Is it a 2.5L WRX Sti? I read this somewhere but not sure!?!

one more chance
17-09-2003, 08:37 PM
okay, i gotta clear up a few things here.
the main reason why the US doesn't have many imports is basically because they are trying to look out for their own domestic manufacturers.
The US government has imposed many trade restrictions against foreign car manufacturers (especially japanese) and usually, the only model in which the US import in, are genrally the base models, because they are cheap! US are finally seeing the market dominance that Jap sports car have, hence the very, very late release of cars such as WRX's and EVOs. If you thought Australia's trade restrictions are bad, the US is even worse!

the new skyline that has been released in Japan is a R35 that basicaly carries the VQ30DE engine identical to the 350Z! This engine will be available for all skyline imports, although the name skyline may not be retained for all import models. Nissan is still to release a GTR variant of the skyline, but there are plans of either releasing a twin turbo of the VQ engine (VQ30DETT) or even a twin turbo V8 (most likely). Nissan are still playing around with engine ideas because of the new emissions laws that has been introduced in Japan.

toE
18-09-2003, 12:27 AM
the main reason why the US doesn't have many imports is basically because they are trying to look out for their own domestic manufacturers.
The US government has imposed many trade restrictions against foreign car manufacturers (especially japanese) and usually, the only model in which the US import in, are genrally the base models, because they are cheap! US are finally seeing the market dominance that Jap sports car have, hence the very, very late release of cars such as WRX's and EVOs. If you thought Australia's trade restrictions are bad, the US is even worse!

the new skyline that has been released in Japan is a R35 that basicaly carries the VQ30DE engine identical to the 350Z! This engine will be available for all skyline imports, although the name skyline may not be retained for all import models. Nissan is still to release a GTR variant of the skyline, but there are plans of either releasing a twin turbo of the VQ engine (VQ30DETT) or even a twin turbo V8 (most likely). Nissan are still playing around with engine ideas because of the new emissions laws that has been introduced in Japan.

how u know so much?? :P

d16tuner
18-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is 2.5. That is why the hp and torque numbers are higher than they used to be.

I don't fully buy all that about the import process. Sure, they tax like crazy on anything imported, especially luxury items (not sure if this applies to cars or not), but I doubt the US govt is actually controlling what cars can be sold here, or when. That is the impression you are giving at least. If it passes emissions and crash tests, and they are willing to pay the import tax, it'll be sold here. They tax em to give domestic companies an advantage, sure just like every other govt probably does, but it isn't AS competitive as you'd think. Remember, due to the crummy Japanese economy American car companies own LARGE shares of stock in the japanese ones. Ford owns a large part of Mazda, and Chevy likewise with Toyota. I'm not sure about Honda, Mitsu or Subaru. When Toyota benefits, so does Chevy. We've even got Toyota-powered chevy cars here I have a Chevy/Geo Prizm with a Toyota Engine, brakes, and pretty much everything else. I believe it was even assembled at a Toyota factory. I'm sure you don't see a lot of Fords or Chevys in Japan, cause they largely suck with or without the tax. Americans are good at building bombs, not cars. Altho the competition is finally making them build em better. The jap companies are finally seeing tho that Americans will buy their performance cars even at a premium. They finally gave us the WRX two years ago as a kind of trial, and it obviously succeeded. The WRX has been VERY popular here. So now they are upping the ANTE by unleashing the true MONSTERS :twisted: . Three cars in the 270-300 HP range this year alone! Good year for an enthusiast here.

toE
18-09-2003, 09:52 AM
sounds like great news for u guys over there.

VTi-RT
19-09-2003, 11:44 AM
I thought that the VTi-R Civic coupe was released in the States the same time as it did in Australia.

d16tuner
19-09-2003, 02:14 PM
If you are referring to what we call simply the Civic Type R, then no. It still isn't available here to my knowledge. We have the SI, but not the R. Alot of people have imported the JDM engines however and done swaps with the Civic or Integra type R engines.

wynode
19-09-2003, 03:29 PM
CTR is a hatch.

The USA got a variety of coupe models over a longer period of time that we did.

Also the Si civic coupe in the USA is DOHC VTEC. We only got the SOHC Gli and SOHC VTEC VTi in OZ.

Setanta
19-09-2003, 10:47 PM
Umm... the US Si (DOHC VTEC) is the same as our VTiR Coupe isn't it? Only LHD.

Maybe I just misread your post :?

wynode
19-09-2003, 10:49 PM
Umm... the US Si (DOHC VTEC) is the same as our VTiR Coupe isn't it? Only LHD.

yes thats right.

What I meant was, the Coupe in the US is much more common than here (I should have just said that!)

Setanta
19-09-2003, 11:00 PM
:) I was sure that you meant something along those lines.

Actually, I'd like the US EG coupe - then drop a B18 into it :)

aZZ
20-09-2003, 11:06 PM
yeh i saw an EG coupe for sale the other day up here on the gold coast, private import apparently. would be somthing tottaly difrent.

anyway, from what ive gathered from honda-tech forums is that the 92-95 Si civic is the same as the 93-94 VTi civic here. same motor, ECU ect ect. i think they only got the ZC in the CRX models we got the ZC in too. the 99- Si over there is B16A2.

while in the UK and europe the 92-95 VTi was the B16A2.

umm also the CTR is only really available for wide sale in the UK and Japan and the UK version actualy has more power belive it or not, also a little known fact the UK produces more CTR's in their own honda factories than Japan does.

so yeh, just though i would put in some info.

Setanta
21-09-2003, 12:43 AM
That could be because the current CTR is designed and built in the UK :P

MR CRX
21-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Yeah you guys are lucky a 2.5l STi.... :shock:

fozee
17-03-2004, 01:32 PM
The US government has imposed many trade restrictions against foreign car manufacturers (especially japanese) and usually, the only model in which the US import in, are genrally the base models, because they are cheap!

Now why does this not surprise me one bit.... :roll:

Im thinking the STi may just be a 2.5. Actually the GT Forester has a 2.5 soo its probably the same engine tuned up a bit

VTEC16
17-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Yeah but they were luckier than us because they got the DOHC VTEC coupe which is much better looking than the hatch.

What are you talking about wyn? we got BOTH hatches and coupes! We are luckier than them!

...as for the looks....its all subjective...

McChook
17-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Not in an EG... no EG coupes here

ah789454
18-03-2004, 07:12 AM
america might be getting watered down versions of the hondas but you bastards are importing all the jdm B18Cs........j/k ive call up nearly every importer in sydney and all of them say its hard to find those engines

bizee_1
20-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Not in an EG... no EG coupes here

yeh like those black EG coupes in Fast & the Furious.

aswell as 2 door coupe Accords as far back as the 92 model. [i think]

Aswell as their Acura line-up where you have that sweet looking Acura TL,
3.2L sohc vtec pumping 270hp & 320Nm of torque, thru a 6-speed manual LSD gearbox, slowed down by 310mm ventilated Brembo's [front], shielded by 17" wheels ! and you know Acura is the luxury [aswell as sport] division ! so you know that baby is loaded... :P
:x but we don't get it.

sorry kinda getting carried away there.....what makes it more interesting..
imagine aftermarket ecu & tuning for 98ron !