PDA

View Full Version : help broken bolt

ICV 73C
15-12-2005, 04:04 PM
hey guys i was cleaning my engine and i realised that there was a broken bolt. http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/HON-91E/Image051.jpg http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/HON-91E/Image049.jpg

the bottom piece is broken and is stuck in the hole http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/HON-91E/Image052.jpg

where or how can i get this fixed and is my car still drivable ?

ICV 73C
15-12-2005, 04:29 PM
the oil is visible and i'm very paranoid about it spitting or spilling. by any chance do you know where i can get it repaired ?

ek4-guy
15-12-2005, 04:57 PM
there is a small tools you can buy called easy outs they have a chucky bacwards thread an you drill the required size hole in the an thread thid small bolt like tool in backwards they r tapperd so that once in so far they will bite an should turn the broken thread out just make sure you get the best quality drill bits u can get for metal as it does help with acuracy as you need to stay centred an not drill into the thread hope that fixes it dude the tools shouldnt cost more than 60 bucks except the drill or just ring a shop an ask them do they have bolt remover tools dont go to one that doesnt as you will just be buyin the tools for them aswell as payin for labor

ICV 73C
15-12-2005, 05:35 PM
ohnestly i trust my self. because i won't really know what i'm doing. unless you can help me out. CAN ANY DO THIS ? i rather pay $50 or whatever to get it fixed PROPERLY. i'm just paranoid i may do something wrong and then Screw it up even more.

KB
15-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Hey man i have personally snapped 4 of these bolts!!

first off i paid 80$ to have it replaced.

then i tried easy outs but you run the risk of getting metal filings in your valve train.

the quickest method....
- take off all your other bolts holding on the valve cover.
- locate snapped bolt
- simply by pushing down with a flat head screwdriver and turning you can wind the **** out. or see if there is enough poking out to grab with pliars then rotate out. they are very loose in there.

BE CARFUL WHEN TIGHTING BACK UP!

they snapp hella easy. just till you can feel it start to get tight is enough.

ICV 73C
15-12-2005, 06:19 PM
unbolting the rest IS A B***H they are so tight, i'll guess i'll try that tomoro. can i just simply replace the bolt ?

ek4-guy
15-12-2005, 07:25 PM
if there is a lil hangin out an up cant get in with pliers u you can also get a hacksaw an cut a little slot to put a screw driver in or of not yeah u can also trie the shovin a screwdriver in method some time depending on how hard the bolt is you could tap the swcrew driver in with a hammer just lightly the see if it gets a bit more grip or you could aslo do the same with a tiny cold chisel the a screwdriver to turn it out

ek4-guy
15-12-2005, 07:31 PM
sent pm

ICV 73C
16-12-2005, 07:21 PM
is it ok to silicon up the bolt on ? (slastic) or whateva it is called.

steve
16-12-2005, 08:06 PM
is it ok to silicon up the bolt on ? (slastic) or whateva it is called.

:cool: dodgy man... jus go to your local mechanic n get them 2 get it out, simple.
There wil be no harm done in driving ur car, if left for a while tho oil will leak out/under of rocker cover

ECU-MAN
16-12-2005, 10:43 PM
no dont use silicone based sealants

this will damage your oxygen sensor then this will cost you much more than a broken bolt.

you will not need to use an easy out to get it out. when you take your rocca cover off, you will find the left over bit in the head will just screw out with some gental perswaition. you have to be very very unlucky if its in there tight. 99% of times its will just unscrew. no mess

its a piss easy job to replace.

bennjamin
16-12-2005, 10:51 PM
ive used a smallish flat-head screwdriver on these type broken bolts ~ place the screwdriver firmly on the broken bit and give it a light "tap" with a hammer to indent it into the bolt. Should be as easy as screwing it back out

ICV 73C
16-12-2005, 11:30 PM
this one issernt that easy ive tried. theres no bits hanging out and its about 1-2mm deeper then flush. suckz hard man ! :(

ECU-MAN
16-12-2005, 11:53 PM
yeah, thats useually the go. did you try what Ben said.

I use a pointy pin type of tool. and screw it out.

fatboyz39
17-12-2005, 07:10 AM
if you have a dremel, cut a lil slot in the broken bit and use a falt head screw driver and screw it out, works everytime. goodluck

aimre
17-12-2005, 06:00 PM
^^^ bout to say the same thing

Cant u just drill it out, like use a drill buit slightly smaller than the bolt. (plz dont try this until others have given pros and cons as i have no idea if this can damage other things)

PAPZ
12-10-2006, 10:16 PM
im havin the same problem as this guy though the bolt snapped while fittin my carbon bonnet....

if i get this tool peice will it damage the fibre glass surroundin the thread where the bolt is stuck in to???