PDA

View Full Version : what type of nut is it?

nickiipoohz
15-12-2005, 04:24 PM
hey guys, got a 96 accord here. The nut that is used to hold the top control arm to the knuckle ( the piece that holds the rotors) is missing where my front driver side wheel is. Just wondering what it is called, size and where i can find one in melbourne. I went to Astoria Honda Spare parts but they say that it is a discontinued item. I saw that EK civic hatches uses the same nut so hopefully someone can help. THANKS HEAPS :D

LowEk
15-12-2005, 04:46 PM
try your local wreckers or nut and bolt shop.

iamhappy46
15-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I assume you are after the ball-joint nut?
If you have any trouble, buy a new ball joint(like under $30 from repco), fit the whole ball joint(or just the bolt) and make sure you use a split pin or something to keep it on.

ek4-guy
15-12-2005, 09:12 PM
if you cant get one with a split pin from the wreckers you could also take the one off the other side get a lift down to the bolt shop an get two new nuts to fit but make sure they have the same metal strength some times nuts or bolts have little numbers like M6 an such that is the strength rating of the metal also dont just get any nuts its very important if you cant get the same slotted nuts make sure you get a nylock nut the ones with the small nylon locking ring in them

nickiipoohz
15-12-2005, 09:21 PM
if you cant get one with a split pin from the wreckers you could also take the one off the other side get a lift down to the bolt shop an get two new nuts to fit but make sure they have the same metal strength some times nuts or bolts have little numbers like M6 an such that is the strength rating of the metal also dont just get any nuts its very important if you cant get the same slotted nuts make sure you get a nylock nut the ones with the small nylon locking ring in them

do you know what size roughly the nut is? cos im gonna be driving my car down so i dont think i'll be taking the nut off. thanks

ek4-guy
16-12-2005, 09:50 AM
No sorry but sometimes the size head of the nut like the spanner size will only give a few options for thread size. If you turn it full lock when you get there an can get at it the guys should let you try a few without mutch hassle. Another way would be to ring or go to a friendly spares shops that has a ball joint an ask then to measure the thread with verners but if you got a wrecker nearby that may be easiest way straighof d same car but yeah like was said before make sure you line up the slots in the nut with the hole in the bolt an insert a split an bend it over id say thats why you lost your nut if your car is lowered maybe someone forgot to put pins in might be an idea to cheak the other side for a pin aswel