PDA

View Full Version : safe to remove heatshield above cat?

insouciant
16-12-2005, 09:36 AM
got my exhaust done yesterday. at first the shield was hitting the cat and making it vibrate as i turned, took it back and he beat it a bit and now no hitting.

but now i have a suspicion that it may be making contact with my shift links now because from time to time the gear knob will vibrate a lot more than usual and i haven't had this problem prior to the exhaust install.

so the question is, is it safe to remote the heatshield alltogether from above the cat? or do i have to make it fit without touching a thing?

DynoDave
16-12-2005, 09:49 AM
got my exhaust done yesterday. at first the shield was hitting the cat and making it vibrate as i turned, took it back and he beat it a bit and now no hitting.

but now i have a suspicion that it may be making contact with my shift links now because from time to time the gear knob will vibrate a lot more than usual and i haven't had this problem prior to the exhaust install.

so the question is, is it safe to remote the heatshield alltogether from above the cat? or do i have to make it fit without touching a thing?
Take it back to the shop that did the exhaust and get them to fix there mistake.
Regards Dyno Dave

Limbo
16-12-2005, 12:44 PM
yeah i agree with Dave if they did a dodgy they should fix it.

If you take the heat shield off there could be heat in that area and it may affect performance.

insouciant
18-12-2005, 08:37 AM
actually its not really his fault, installed aftermarket cat and its a little bigger than the stock cat so we had to bend it a little so it wouldn't bump the cat and make it rattle, but i think its bend itself back and somethings rattling there

mini_s2000
18-12-2005, 09:35 AM
then thats a hard one... have a look at it yourself first and see if the problem is an easy fix. if not, then take it back to the exhaust shop for them to work out th problem!
there should be NO vibrations anywhere!

Steer^Gimic
18-12-2005, 04:35 PM
just take out the shield.

Newcivic
18-12-2005, 04:56 PM
^ what he said :)

SKREMN
18-12-2005, 05:39 PM
i had the same problem hitting my shifter
i removed the shiled and now i feel the heat in the cabin but all is good

Steer^Gimic
18-12-2005, 06:12 PM
there you go, best of both worlds
save weight and added feet/seat warmer :P

mini_s2000
18-12-2005, 07:40 PM
^ lol...thats funny

insouciant
18-12-2005, 11:25 PM
will try removing it then, not too worried about a little heat ;)

anyone know whether its easy to remove? can i just plop my car on jack stands and unbolt away?

egads
18-12-2005, 11:32 PM
anyone know whether its easy to remove? can i just plop my car on jack stands and unbolt away?

should be ok, but can you get your hand+tools in there with the cat in the way?

insouciant
21-12-2005, 10:42 PM
got around to doing it today, only 2 bolts :)
the tinny/vibrating sound is gone
though the gear knob shaking more than usual from time to time is still there..