PDA

View Full Version : What the difference in Gauges?

SAMBO456
16-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Looking into buying a water temperature and oil pressure gauges but unsure in which type to buy. Electrical or Mechanical.

Can anyone explain what the difference between electrical or mechanical gauges other than the price.

Thanks

ek4-guy
16-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Electrical gauges have a sending unit that goes into the engine, from the sending unit there is just a wire to the gauge inside the car. In mechanical gauges there is a sending unit that goes into the engine and from there in oil pressure gauge a small plastic or copper tubing goes to the gauge inside the car. For the water Temp. gauge there is a small tube with wire in it that goes back to the gauge inside the car. With electrical gauges there is just a small diameter wire going into the car, with mechanical gauges the things going into the car are bigger and more stiff.
all this is very true another thing to consider is that mechanical gauges like oil an petrol should never be put in the cabin of your car incase they spring a leak lol would be nice havin hot oil or petrol pumpin out into your cabin they even say on them to only mount on the outside of the vehicle most important thoe is that mechanical is more acurate

BiGANG
16-12-2005, 11:03 PM
most mechanical guages are defectable as well. But they are more accurate. I got a mechanical oil pressure guage in my car. If you install it properly you wont have any problems man. I would recommend the copper tube though. I dont really trust the plastic **** too much but thats just me.