PDA

View Full Version : need help....mods for cxi??

green_machine
16-12-2005, 08:49 PM
picked up 96 civic cxi for cheap...wat mods can do to make it abit faster and handle better??name parts ??tyres??brands?

Zdster
16-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I think most people will ask, what is your budget and what exactly are you trying to achieve?

I think a key handling upgrade would be a rear sway bar. From there you would/could go with a suspension upgrade a range of other strut/chasis bars.

Check the tyres thread for a range of tyres people suggest.

To make it a bit faster . . . depends on budget and what you mean by 'a bit faster' (ie what sort of power output you were looking to achieve with the car - could be from a set of headers to an engine swap).

Try searching through the site a bit, but I hope that is a start.

bennjamin
16-12-2005, 09:02 PM
concentrate on making that car quicker in the turns with suspension work. As said above , rear swaybar , perhaps aftermarket shoicks and lower springs all help out.
Lighter rims with good rubber too.
Short or a turbo kit or alot of $$$ invested - anything else will make hardly any difference at all.

EGB16A
17-12-2005, 11:54 AM
concentrate on making that car quicker in the turns with suspension work. As said above , rear swaybar , perhaps aftermarket shoicks and lower springs all help out.
Lighter rims with good rubber too.
Short or a turbo kit or alot of $$$ invested - anything else will make hardly any difference at all.

^^agreed

to add to this, some nolathane bushes all round make for a good improvement, and maybe strut braces or tie bars.
Invest in some good braking, ie. X drilled rotors and some good brake pads

Zdster
17-12-2005, 11:59 AM
^^agreed

to add to this, some nolathane bushes all round make for a good improvement, and maybe strut braces or tie bars.
Invest in some good braking, ie. X drilled rotors and some good brake pads

As far as I have been told/read, there is no need for a massive brake upgrade - just a good set of pads should be fine. Maybe if you could really be bothered you would upgrade the rears to discs (but I am not sure how much of a difference that would really make :confused:.

P.S. I am happy to be contradicted if I have heard wrong :).

EGB16A
17-12-2005, 12:22 PM
As far as I have been told/read, there is no need for a massive brake upgrade - just a good set of pads should be fine. Maybe if you could really be bothered you would upgrade the rears to discs (but I am not sure how much of a difference that would really make :confused:.

P.S. I am happy to be contradicted if I have heard wrong :).

there may be no 'need' for it, but a brake upgrade is always a welcomed modification in my book, besides upgraded rotors is hardly a massive brake upgrade! Further more, IF he decides to go down the turbo road like people are recomending in this thread, then better braking would be a necessity.

I can't remember if cxi is rear drum or not, i'll take your word for it, but rear disk conversion would be an advantage. :D

egads
17-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I can't remember if cxi is rear drum or not, i'll take your word for it, but rear disk conversion would be an advantage. :D

cxi = drums :thumbdwn:

Paul1985
17-12-2005, 01:26 PM
i dont think there would be a need for a brake upgrade in this car as it is stock..
everyone has made good points though. I think you should get some things similar to these:
1. Whiteline swaybar kit
2. A lowering kit (coilovers/springs + shocks).. Many brands depending what you are after including.. Koni, Tein, King, Cusco etc
3. Intake, Headers and an exhaust.. can go custom, or get ones such as spoon, mugen, apexi etc.. or even cheaper systems that are similar to these such as x-force
4. Some new lightweight wheels + better tyres.. what wheels is all upto you, there are thousands to choose from, some brands i prefer are.. spoon, work, mugen, volk/rays.

I think these are a great starting point as your car will be looking awsome after these mods, will handle better and have a slight increase in performance (nothing huge though). I tryed to state a couple of brands as that is what you asked for, but there are so many around.. i just added a couple of know brands or some that i prefer.

IMO to get alot more performance, you would need to either go forced induction (supercharge/turbocharge) or rebuild the internals of the current engine or do an engine swap.. all very pricey.

Weq
17-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Cold air intake is a good cheap mod. check my sig :)

Otherwise handling exactly the way everyone else has said .

EGB16A
17-12-2005, 02:55 PM
picked up 96 civic cxi for cheap...wat mods can do to make it abit faster and handle better??name parts ??tyres??brands?

Before everyone tells you the wonderful things you can do to your car.... what is your budget??

fatboyz39
18-12-2005, 07:34 AM
first of all, what are you gonna try to achieve? build a 1/4 mile car or a circuit car?

1/4 mile turbo........... circuit racing suspension

|N|
18-12-2005, 08:04 AM
depends ur budget and wat u after .... but i suggest to start with handling ... i recently got a set of 20-22mm rear sway + tie... and love them .... kills aot of the body roll...