PDA

View Full Version : NEW engine checklist! b16

ToFuBoi
16-12-2005, 09:01 PM
i found a front cut without any front damage.. wanting a checklist of things i could go through myself to check to see if the engine is in good condition..

so far i was told to do the following things:

1. check sparkys for any moisture/corrosion and general condition
2. general conditions of hose seals
3. check oil on the stick

im sure there are plenty more so please post up so next time i go see it i can run through it all

cheers, tofooey

ToFuBoi
16-12-2005, 09:11 PM
by the way the frontcut i found has on the engine blue plate thing "eg9" whereas on the engine block it is stamped "b16a2".. found this kind of weird.. isit possible it is from another market??.. the seller said it was sposedly shipped from japan...

EuroDude
16-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Does the front-cut include the dash? How many KM's has the engine done?

I think the amount of rust/wear/oxidization on the engine metal plating (around the dip-stick) is a good way of determining the age of the engine. Also check the timing belt for cracks.

But you never know somtimes - its possible the owner drove on near-empty oil for 2 months, causing excess wear'n'tear :o

ps. How much are they offering?

ToFuBoi
16-12-2005, 09:57 PM
sposedly 70xxxkms and yes includes dash... cant really say price just in case someone in steals this from me ;)

EuroDude
16-12-2005, 10:07 PM
70,xxx is still young for a Honda engine :) If its less than $2000, I would probably go for it.

Are you able to test the engine before purchase?
Not sure exactly what is required, obviously a temporary fuel tank needs to be rigged up, and the gear kept in neutral :P

hoonda
16-12-2005, 10:19 PM
by the way the frontcut i found has on the engine blue plate thing "eg9" whereas on the engine block it is stamped "b16a2".. found this kind of weird.. isit possible it is from another market??.. the seller said it was sposedly shipped from japan...

EG9 would make it from a Ferio- Basically from an SiRII sedan.

Although as far as i am aware JDM EG6/9 only has 'B16a' on block. Export models had 'B16a2'...

I know alot of Ferios ended up in Malaysia for some reason..

As far as checking things out go, IMO when first fitting the engine you should change all hoses, seals and spark plugs anyway..

KB
17-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Robert.

A JDM EG9 SiR would be stamped B16a. I think you might be buying a dodgy.

ToFuBoi
17-12-2005, 07:55 PM
noooooooooooooooooooo :'( ... you have broken my heart kay-bee-son..... hmmm the search continues...

sifoo
20-12-2005, 03:37 PM
do a leak down and compression test

check for gasket leaks

look into your valve cover for signs of wear to your head

smell your oil cap and check on the sides of the cap for white deposits = water/contamination

check radiator/cooling system for excessive sludge build up

hope that helps

ekslut
20-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Robert.

A JDM EG9 SiR would be stamped B16a. I think you might be buying a dodgy.

why's it a dodgy? Maybe the old engine broke, so it was replaced. It doesn't really matter as long as the engine is in good condition. Get a compression test done and follow some advice from what others are giving.

incoming
20-12-2005, 04:50 PM

my mate had the same problem
he called the place and asked them what happened

PM DjRob and ask