PDA

View Full Version : 99 Civic Grille

Silence11
16-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Hey all...

I recently bought a new grille for my car, but i cannot figure out how to get my original one off... Is there a need to take the whole front bumper off or something!?!? :confused:

So far i've managed to take the pins out of the top, and one of the screws that are slightly hidden, (and i know there is another one on the other side) but it still won't come out...

http://i8.ebayimg.com/01/i/04/87/2a/04_2.JPG

That is the grille, but without the 'Type-R' Badge...

Any help here would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

SLPJCooL
17-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Yes, you'll need to Take the Front Bumper off if you wanna do it properly. It'll be much easier anywayz!

Zdster
17-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Yes, you'll need to Take the Front Bumper off if you wanna do it properly. It'll be much easier anywayz!

Not just "do it properly", you will have to remove the bumper to get it off.

Silence11
18-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Damn it.. I'm not going to be able to do that...

Might have to find someone that will do it for me cheap...

Thanks guys.

Newcivic
18-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Where abouts you located in Melb?

Zdster
18-12-2005, 03:38 PM
It is so easy to take off the front bumper that it is not funny. Take off the top clips (above the grille) and remove the six nuts/screws under the bumper and it comes straight off.

DNYALL
18-12-2005, 09:34 PM
U don't need to take the front bumper off to take the grill out. Well i didn't on my 96' sedan, maybe it changed on the 99'

Silence11
18-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Newcivic: I'm in the northern Suburbs of Melbourne... Greensborough.

Apparently with my model the bumper is actually hard to take off. A mate of mine said that it you're not carefull you can brake the bumper in half if you don't take all of the bolts and clips etc off... So its something i'm not willing to do myself! He said you have to take the lights off cause there are bolts under there, plus ones underneath... I work opposite a smash repair place, i might ask them if they can do it for me.

aztrohonda
19-12-2005, 02:50 AM
where did u buy the grill, i've been meaning 2 buy 1. how much did it cost?

Zdster
19-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Newcivic: I'm in the northern Suburbs of Melbourne... Greensborough.

Apparently with my model the bumper is actually hard to take off. A mate of mine said that it you're not carefull you can brake the bumper in half if you don't take all of the bolts and clips etc off... So its something i'm not willing to do myself! He said you have to take the lights off cause there are bolts under there, plus ones underneath... I work opposite a smash repair place, i might ask them if they can do it for me.

Are we talking about a facelift hatch (99-00)? If so, there is nothing simpler in taking off the bumper. Six screws/bolts and a few clips on the top and you just take it off. No need to touch the headlights or anything else. If I was closer to you I would offer to come and show you how.

Silence11
19-12-2005, 10:44 AM
aztrohonda: I bought the grille off Ebay, was $90 plus delivery. Its just an aftermarket one...

Zdster: My car is a 99 hatch (not sure about facelift?) I have a few weeks off soon, so i might have a look see if i can do it.
I think there might be a few less screw holes on this grille though... i hope it sits in there ok...

Zdster
19-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Undertake this at your own risk. I or OzHonda take no responsibility if you damage anything (or yourself).

Ok, since I am such a nice person here is a walkthrough (by the way yes your is the facelifted model):

Start by openning the bonnet and removing the clips along the top (there are roughly four on top of where the grille sits and two on either side next to the headlamps). To remove these get a flat headscrew driver, push the head in horizontally and twist to a vertical position (the top will move up and you can remove the entire clip).

Now move to the front wheel wells. Look up where the front bumper meets the front quarter panel. There is a gap and when you look inside you should be able to see the rear of the headlamp. There should be one bolt in there that connects the front bumper to the front quarter panel. Remove it and do the same on the opposite side.

Now you are almost there (only two screws and two bolts to go). On the underside of the bumper there are two philips head screws. Remove them. A little further back and closer to the centre you will see two bolts. You will need a socket set (as I cant remember what size the bolt is) and take these two bolts out as well.

Now carefully take the bumper off making sure that nothing is caught or attached to the bumper (the edges near the wheel well hook around so just take care when removing the bumper).

Hope that helps.