PDA

View Full Version : Chipping a Civic

KB
23-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Hey guys.
I currently have installed minor mods on my D16Y8 such as axel back exhaust and pod filter. Is it worth getting a chip to increse power if any. I don't care if i only get like 5kw out of it (every kilowatt counts). Iv'e seen one on the hondata site its called the s100 i think. Is that chip good? and how much and where can i source one here in australia(perth)?

Also if the chip enables you to turn off the rev limiter. What mods must i do to the engine to let me rev it more without damaging the insides. I ask this cause it would be handy to rev it just that little bit more so when i change gears at full revs , in the next gear i am already well in the VTEC range.

All help appreciated
:o Kyle

joneblaze
23-03-2004, 10:29 PM
PM "blkcrx" aka James from Hondata on these forums. He can give you a little more info on the S100 and local Hondata installers/tuners.

KB
23-03-2004, 10:29 PM
thanks buddy

McChook
23-03-2004, 10:33 PM
and you can only get S200s in australia

KB
23-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Well what ever model or make doesn't really matter. Cheaper the better. I don't want some flashy $2000 super duper user laptop programmible bloody replacement doovee. im just after something cheap that will give me a bit more power and a few more options such as rev limit changing ect ect

:)

Kyle

McChook
23-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I don't want some flashy $2000 super duper user laptop programmible bloody replacement doovee.

Cost you about that much and doesn;t have flashing lights and a laptop....

BLKCRX
23-03-2004, 11:19 PM
None of Hondata products are just “chips” Hondata is a full standalone ECU, Period.
The s100 is a cut down version of the s200 that fits nicely inside the ecu without a external interface.
There is NO tuning differences between any Hondata products, they all are fully tuneable ECU’s.
The only difference is the s100 has no ability for datalogging, no ability for g sensors or full throttle shift or launch RPM, not everyone requires these features which is why the s100 was made.

Having said that the s200 is only approximal 50$ more than the s100 and I always recommended the s200 rather than the s100, its not the fact we don’t sell the s100 out here, because we do, its just I end up convincing everyone to sped 50$ more on the s200 which gives the user more “upgradeability” to extra features.

The 50$ also increases the resale valve of the product, and allows the user to one day update it if they so require.

Regards James

A'PEXi
24-03-2004, 02:10 AM
if your talking about chips, rather then a full ecu, then the options are probarbly, unichip, chiptorque chip... or a piggy back such as the safcII.... should allow you to adjust some minor things, add that little bit of power, but dont expect too much from a d16y8... :P

KB
24-03-2004, 05:00 PM
but dont expect too much from a d16y8... :P

yeah thats true... but its not like the D16y8 is totally crap. apart from the DOHC VTEC 1.6 civics, theres not many 1.6L n/A cars out there which are faster than it.....i can beat most of tose crappy hyundais and lancers and even my friends 2.0 liter silvia. i reakon give it a few more mods, a service, and a bit off tuning itll go alright... and i can't really afford a turbo just yet... thanks for ur input anyway APEXI

:) kyle

TODA AU
24-03-2004, 07:12 PM
KB...
For good results... Do the following...
Get a super lightweight flywheel & HD clutch... (Toda of course... LOL)
Remove your cylinder head... Have it ported if you can afford it...
You can even take about 0.050" off it too to bump the comp up a bit but this will mean you'll need a cam gear too so weigh up the costs...
Then fit a Crower camshaft PN: 63443
You'll also need valve springs & Ti retainers... Kit PN: 84166
Combine this with a good intake, header & good exhaust...
Add Hondata & you'll be running head to head with a lot of B18's if not beating them...
Use a WRX or 200SX stock fuel pump & get an adjustable pressure reg - fuel.
You'll have strong power to around 8000rpm with onlt a slight burble at idle... (Don't go much past 8000rpm with a stock bottom end though...
Have a hunt around & see what you can find...
(The part numbers you need are above)
If you have any trouble sourceing the bits yourself, let me know & I'll get them in for you...
You should expect to pay $1100 or less for the Crower parts (landed)
For Hondata... Just ask James...
Hope that helps...
Cheers

incoming
24-03-2004, 10:15 PM
None of Hondata products are just “chips” Hondata is a full standalone ECU, Period.
The s100 is a cut down version of the s200 that fits nicely inside the ecu without a external interface.
There is NO tuning differences between any Hondata products, they all are fully tuneable ECU’s.
The only difference is the s100 has no ability for datalogging, no ability for g sensors or full throttle shift or launch RPM, not everyone requires these features which is why the s100 was made.

Having said that the s200 is only approximal 50$ more than the s100 and I always recommended the s200 rather than the s100, its not the fact we don’t sell the s100 out here, because we do, its just I end up convincing everyone to sped 50$ more on the s200 which gives the user more “upgradeability” to extra features.

The 50$ also increases the resale valve of the product, and allows the user to one day update it if they so require.

Regards James

how much are these s100/200??

A'PEXi
24-03-2004, 11:57 PM
but dont expect too much from a d16y8... :P

yeah thats true... but its not like the D16y8 is totally crap. apart from the DOHC VTEC 1.6 civics, theres not many 1.6L n/A cars out there which are faster than it.....i can beat most of tose crappy hyundais and lancers and even my friends 2.0 liter silvia. i reakon give it a few more mods, a service, and a bit off tuning itll go alright... and i can't really afford a turbo just yet... thanks for ur input anyway APEXI

:) kyle

yeh mate :D i share the same engine hehehe... lancers/hyundais arnt much of a hassle hahahah

KB
25-03-2004, 11:22 AM
thanks everyone for ur replys they really help.....

hey TODA AU... beating b18's that sounds like fun. i might investigate about what ur talking about.

Kyle

Civic Type R
25-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Toda AU,
whats the best you can do for me with a spare B16 light flywheel u must have lying around wanting to go into a Civic showcar ? :)

TODA AU
25-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Toda AU,
whats the best you can do for me with a spare B16 light flywheel u must have lying around wanting to go into a Civic showcar ? :)

Gosh... Just for something completly different... Someone wants a cheap price... LOL...
Ok... How does $560 shipped sound ? (Flywheel alone)
Or $1200 shipped for flywheel & HD clutch kit (Balanced)
Just drop me an email if you want either one...
(Btw: Don't forget to remind me who you are)
Btw... I can do the same for all you guys on OZHONDA...
Once I pay for access to the traders for sale forum,
You guys will get some pretty good deals... ;)
Probably next week, I guess...

KB - No worries... I'll answer PM later when I get home from work...
Aaaaaaaaaahh... Still at work... WRX's... Hate hate, vomit vomit..

ginganggooly
25-03-2004, 06:31 PM
your kidding :o the ammount of trouble i've gone to, to get myself that stuff and i had no idea i could get it that cheap brand spankers, officially.

ah well, my own stupid fault for not asking :?

fuxxing awesome price btw. anyone that doesn't buy it here will want to shoot themselves later :)... well maybe not, but i'm considering it at this point in time.

onabuzz
07-05-2004, 12:25 AM
heey.. im a n00b to this site... got my beast not long ago.. hav a look @ my avatar... but a filter on there, sounds hektic.. revs out hard.. not vtec.. i was look @ www.powerchip.com.au and there chip for my civic is $1200 for a 13kw increse... any one know where i can get one of these alot cheaper!! im on on my p's cash is scarse these days!!!

also what am i lookin at for a turbo conversion running low 6psi boost, was told can do a bolt on job with a computer?????

cheers