PDA

View Full Version : Quality wheel brand (your opinion)

jimbooh
23-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi all,

i am just wondering what is the general perception with wheel brands.

what brand have you heard are known to manufacture Quality/Durable/Lightweight wheels at reasonable price.

i am talking about ranges like ROH, Speedy, BSA, Lenso,Advanti etc... not top shelf BBS/OZ

and if you could include an idea of cost, place of manufacture would be great.

thanks

McChook
23-03-2004, 11:09 PM
geezus christ, how general do you want to be

Look, pick what you want. use any brand you want. use webites, but don't ask general questions. i could go on for hours over which are good, which are bad and how much they are, where tog et them

This is just insane

jimbooh
23-03-2004, 11:14 PM
geezus christ, how general do you want to be

Look, pick what you want. use any brand you want. use webites, but don't ask general questions. i could go on for hours over which are good, which are bad and how much they are, where tog et them

This is just insane

woops, sorry man, i am new to the forum. :oops:

didn't mean to start an argument.

VTEC16
23-03-2004, 11:15 PM
its ok jimbo! mc chicken is actually a nice forumer....

your question is far too general to anwer....find a set of wheels you like and we can go from there....

McChook
23-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Not an argument, its just such an open general question that I don't have to time to answer myself. It would take days to explain them all.

Basically, they are all good brands.

jimbooh
23-03-2004, 11:24 PM
could the admin delete this post ?

i don't want other forumer to waste time reading this, (& to further embarass myself...)

sorry guys, i will do some more research and make another post when i am ready.

McChook
23-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Look, to be nice I can say this

Most of those brands have lightweight wheels from about $250 a wheel. then, you ad the price of the tyre of your choice.
What specificially were you looking at achieving?? what car?? what style

Another brand to ad should be Speedy wheels, they are nice and cheap, and have some lightweight wheels too

jimbooh
24-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Hi again.

let me try again, i will make it as clear as possible. :oops:

Firstly, i don't actually own a Honda, i drive a Mazda Astina ('02) it came with 14inch steelies. i have been trying to get some 15" that are standard from earlier cars or off MX5's as they came with the correct offset and are made by Enkei.

Without much luck, i decided to turn to aftermarket. i found this http://www.donnellans.com.au/images/cars/mercedes/blkmercsml.jpg that actually look like stock ones, and am sure they came with 4x100 PCD and suitable offset (have seem them on few EK Civics too).

But i have no idea how much they weight and the build quality of those (eg, easily crake etc...) that is why i started this silly post. As Hondas are more popular with modify scene, so i was expecting to get few more feedback from here then other forum.

Secondly, would anyone know if standard Honda rims could accept Hub rings like aftermarket ones ? (again for the same reason Honda being more popular, i might have greater chance of getting them second hand then Mazda's) do they make ring size this small (from Honda's 56.1 to Mazda's 54.1 ?)

that's what i had in mind.

thanks guys and sorry for the trouble. :oops:

joneblaze
24-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Dude why be so harsh? He's got 3 posts to his name, would have had ONE when he started this thread. He just basically wants a general run down of quality mid range priced rims.

We could break it up into generalised segments,

such as "Lightweight/track style brands", "Show/Bling style brands", etc all with decent build quality and low-mid range price.

Jimbooh, it'd be alot better if you simply edited your thread to word your question more concisely. Maybe start by stating the make/model/etc of the car these rims will go on (if any, you could be asking a general q), what you would like out of your wheels (show or go or both?) and your price range. There are, as McChook and VTEC16 mentioned, plenty of brands and styles to choose from. Just modify your inital post abit and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions and replies! No need to delete your post, everyone starts somewhere. If any internet know it all smartarses ever give you shit for not knowing something just tell them to shove it, because nobody knows everything about everything! :)

Jon

McChook
24-03-2004, 12:15 AM
OK

Those wheels look pretty heavy IMO. Can;t tell really without a scale or a close up picture - they look chromed?? If so, chrome is heavy. Those wheels are way bigger than 15in. I recomend you go to the wheel manufacturer's websites and have a browse there for sizes and styles. Start with

www.speedywheels.com.au
www.bigotyres.com.au - a shop, but has the lenso catalogue
www.rohwheels.com.au

Start there. Donnelans seems to display a lot of wheels that are no longer made - dangerous.... makes you sad hen you like a wheel you can;t buy

I can't answer the hub ring question though.

jimbooh
24-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Hi all

http://www.donnellans.com.au/images/cars/mercedes/blkmercsml.jpg

sorry i forgot to mention, those wheel are called Advanti B, that picture is in 18 inch i think. if you go to donnellans.com and under picture gallary there are quite a few Honda Civics with them too.

Basically that is the style i am after, standard looking that are easy to clean.

i also noticed Lenso has one called "P6000" (hopefully not designed to mount Pirelli only ;) ) which are similar also.

thanks everyone.

LatinoHatchCrap
24-03-2004, 01:07 PM
why not give rotas a try? they're light/strong/affordable and you can choose a style/colour which is *jdm-style*...

Creative
24-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Have a look at momo rims - donnelans have GREAT prices for 16" Momo sports so Id imagien they can only be cheaper for 15" :)

other may not like momo, but i do :D

Setanta
24-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Enkeis will always be my top choice, followed by Mugen wheels (if I could get the damn ones that came out on the gen2 CRX) followed by rotas. But the first choices are for street use.

joneblaze
24-03-2004, 06:48 PM
A few ppl have strenously tried to impress upon me that Rota (slipstreams in particular) are quite dodgy and prone to cracking under "heavy use".....
Anyone else have good things to say? I'd love a set of slips... :)

TODA AU
24-03-2004, 07:20 PM
I love WORK wheels & my pewrsonal favorites...
The REGAMASTER EVO's
(Way cool... manufactured by ex-soviet space agency)http://store3.yimg.com/I/ntnsracing_1784_102425206
:P

Slugoid
24-03-2004, 09:21 PM
You get what u paid for, simple as that.

The more expensive wheels not only look better, but are also lightweight. For example, Rays (Volks), Enkei, BBS, O.Z. etc.

wynode
24-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I love WORK wheels & my pewrsonal favorites...
The REGAMASTER EVO's
(Way cool... manufactured by ex-soviet space agency)http://store3.yimg.com/I/ntnsracing_1784_102425206
:P

Especially the white ones!!

http://www.regamaster.com/RegaMaster_EVO17WH01.jpg

joneblaze
24-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Desmond is your friend... ;)

Nuttz
25-03-2004, 12:18 AM
where can u get cheap set of rotas or REGAMASTER EVO's ?? in vic?? the slips look cool and USDM.. i mean JDM :)

Nuttz
25-03-2004, 12:22 AM
http://www.donnellans.com.au/wheelsfolder/speedy/RaceMode_Silver_Charcoal.jpg

are these rotas?? :)

LatinoHatchCrap
25-03-2004, 08:18 AM
A few ppl have strenously tried to impress upon me that Rota (slipstreams in particular) are quite dodgy and prone to cracking under "heavy use".....
Anyone else have good things to say? I'd love a set of slips... :)

I did a lot of reserach before buying my c8's and the only incident i read about was in honda-tech where a guy hit a curve at 45km after he tore the fender/hub/tyre, the wheel (which was a rota c8) turned and bent but it did not crack. Now thats contact!! LOL

Now it is true that you get what you pay for but have a look at the price difference 2000 bucks for f*cks sake! Im sure you and I will agree that for that price saving its not only a steal but a kick in the ass to anyone arguing that NEW light/strong/good looking wheels cant be had for under 1000.

IMO if anyone is hating on rotas is because they're pissed off they cant afford to buy *real* wheels but still cant get over the fact that there are cheaper options outthere which perform just as good on the street/track. Personally I dunt give a f*ck as I always get compliments about my c-8s but thats not why i got them in the first place.

Choongas
25-03-2004, 10:26 AM
expensive but lightweight,
maybe Volk and SSR?