PDA

View Full Version : Suspension tuning - coil overs

euGeR
24-03-2004, 06:35 PM
:shock:

My question about coil overs....

To me, Adjustability can be a good thing, but also, it's more for me to screw up hahaha
a good example is my stero with bass focus and delays... once I played with it, I couldn't get it back to the way it was before!!
(remind me not to touch anything again) - this would be the only thing in my opinion when looking at coil overs vs pre-tuned spring/damper package

So my question is,

What are the type of things we would have to do to "tune" our suspension? Obviously, company's spend alot of time and money on this type of thing.
Any step by step guides?

One thing would be corner weight balancing .. but there are other things that would affect traction, such as centre of gravity (though height adjustment) .. spring rates (one's that are adjustable) etc...

I guess, I'm worried about stuffing up the balance rather than improving it.
You can tune to personal taste but how do you measure if it is an improvement? (other than improved laptimes) - looking for a more accurate baseline?

What other things can you do/test to tune it, and any guides to things such as...
less understeer --- a. stiffer rear b. lower rear kinda thing?
ie. so what have the guys with coil overs done so far?

Jim80y
24-03-2004, 07:36 PM
There's a lot you can do without touching the coilovers, e.g. tire pressures. swaybar sizes, castor kits, camber kits, wheel alignment. All of these things can really change how your car behaves.

LatinoHatchCrap
25-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Jim80y is correct. start by learning the simple-to-adjust things such tyre psi and body reinforcement.
Coilovers its of those things you either learn from experts and learn from them watching adjustting them. However most of the time the equipment necessary to adjust coilovers can be expensive as each corner weights differerent.
At first you should start experimenting with the adjustable dampening and leave height adjustability for the time being; that is, set it a good level and leave like that :thumbsup: