PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade-98 Cxi Civic Hatch

18INCH
20-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Guys i want to upgrade my brakes........not only cos i will be dropping a new engine (in the near future). But because the civic i own currently is the proud owner of DRUM BRAKES on the rear....can anyone say LAME.

I want to get bigger discs on the front, and i want to get disks installed on the back.

What i need is:-
•names of places
•price average (if you know)
•anyone who has done an upgrade.....how was it?? any major problems??

Cheers Guys,
dale

20-12-2005, 07:50 AM
dale bro.. use the search fuction on this forum.. their is heaps of info.

also depends how you wanna upgrade. ek4 brakes is enough. or aftermarket. or 5 lug integ brakes. or custom oem brakes ... eg: lude rotors with dc calipers or something.. + you need to upgrade your master cylinder too im pretty sure.

ek4 brakes would be cheapest. 5 lug about $1200 or so. aftermaket ... depends how far you wanna go can cost $2-4000 if you really want. so yeh...

** also. make sure you balance your brakes out. size front to back ratio. :thumbsup:

18INCH
20-12-2005, 08:05 AM
oh yeah i should of mentioned that when i said i want bigger on the front that i meant just bigger than i have ...i want the same size on the front and back for sure.

thanks heaps for the info Anton.

If i get the 5 stud i will need new wheels tho.....are all ek4 brakes 5stud???

barefootbonzai
20-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Hehehe. EK4 brakes are all 4 stud, they will provide what you what. 5 Lug converstion is a whole different topic all together, but it too will increase your brake size even further and get rid of them ugly rear drums aswell.

I've got a cxi too and did the conversion, this is the prices i was quoted during that time.

For a set of rear disc brakes of an EK4 will probably cost you around $350 - $500 depending where you find it. You could fit on some EG rear disc brakes for a little cheaper, they go for around $250 - $350.

I ask around for a set front and back upgrade and got prices of around $800 (DC2 & EK4)

Hope that helps.

18INCH
20-12-2005, 10:28 AM
hey thanks barefoot that helps heaps....im not a tech person i just know what i want hahah fine details are where i get caught.

But thanks that does help alot.

My next question would be where are the best places to look for them??

egSi
20-12-2005, 10:33 AM
eg5/ek4/dc2/dc4/da9 all have the same size brakes in the rear.

get em from a wrecker man, chuck em on, and upgrade your brake master cylinder

KB
20-12-2005, 10:54 AM
My Coupe out brakes alot of civics out there with 4 wheel discs. With 80% of all braking being done by the front brakes, you don't really NEED rear discs, unless you are thinking of tracking as discs would be more reliable in high stress applications. But we are all in agreence(is that a word?) that discs all round look SIK!

20-12-2005, 12:15 PM
yep... just make sure you get evrything you need for the upgrade bro..

hahaha 5 stud is integ.. as barefoot' said.... to be honest i fink ek4/em1 is enough if your on a budget. i plan to do it laters maybe... hahah if i do alot of others things too. hahahaha

just go to the obivous places for install... brakes places, good mod places, even hanny's could do it for you. search around and youll get a good price ...

gl... (btw still gonna see your car hahaha.. maybe next TGS meet. should come out mate)

18INCH
20-12-2005, 12:18 PM
yeah anton i might go the ek4 brakes hopefully get em in soon.

Yeah i still gotta see yours in person too......you can see my low ride (ive been told it sits crazy low...:S not really)

fusion_VTi
20-12-2005, 01:59 PM
i'd go for some big puppys if ur going to convert dude, going up to EG or ek stock discs prob isnt worth while seeing as ur upgrading anyways

[[d a n n y]]
20-12-2005, 02:46 PM
changing it to EG6/EK4/DC2 spec is good upgrade for any under spec car
but if your going for a B18c or bigger

i suggest ITR brakes ( 5 stud ) or prelude calipers with 4x100 disc

Paul1985
20-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Dont go 5-lug.. you certainly pay for that extra lug (unless u are willing to spend extra money?) and yes, you will need to get some wheels, often for a little higher price the OEM wheels come with the 5-lug swap.

I dont know if this will help, but im doing an Integra brake upgrade into my EG soon. These are the parts i will need (extrememly similar to 5-lug, just the cheaper way):
* Integra Complete Front Spindles
* Integra Complete Rear Trailing Arm
* Integra Brake Booster
* Integra (98+) 1" Master Cylinder
* SS Brake Lines
* Integra Handbrake Cables
* Integra (94/95 i think) NON-ABS Proportioning Valve
* New Brake Pads

From there if u want better, just get new calipers.. you could also bolt up prelude rotors later on too, this is a great starting point IMO (this is for EG though, im not sure if you would need something extra for EK?)

For the upgrade i plan on doing it should cost around $800, and ive seen the 5-lug version of what im doing go for $1500.

Hope this helps in some way?

[[d a n n y]]
20-12-2005, 03:19 PM
Dont go 5-lug.. you certainly pay for that extra lug (unless u are willing to spend extra money?) and yes, you will need to get some wheels, often for a little higher price the OEM wheels come with the 5-lug swap.

I dont know if this will help, but im doing an Integra brake upgrade into my EG soon. These are the parts i will need (extrememly similar to 5-lug, just the cheaper way):
* Integra Complete Front Spindles
* Integra Complete Rear Trailing Arm
* Integra Brake Booster
* Integra (98+) 1" Master Cylinder
* SS Brake Lines
* Integra Handbrake Cables
* Integra (94/95 i think) NON-ABS Proportioning Valve
* New Brake Pads

From there if u want better, just get new calipers.. you could also bolt up prelude rotors later on too, this is a great starting point IMO (this is for EG though, im not sure if you would need something extra for EK?)

For the upgrade i plan on doing it should cost around $800, and ive seen the 5-lug version of what im doing go for $1500.

Hope this helps in some way?

been there done that..
eventhough it is a good upgrade for a EG or EK
5 stud will give u bigger option in parts and the extra stoping power.
5 stud wont be a waste of money. but yes it is true OEM honda parts are pretty expensive

18INCH
21-12-2005, 06:35 AM
thanks heaps guys this helps alot

barefootbonzai
21-12-2005, 09:05 AM
yeah, if i had the bling. 5 lug conversion for sure!!!!