PDA

View Full Version : Check My $5 Bored Throttle Body

kimo
21-12-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi,

I have bored my throttle body at my friend's machine shop. I have found out the TB is not all the same thickness from top to bottom, it's like thick, less thick, then thinner. Told the guy at the machine to take off 3 mm all the way but he said he can't do it because it's very thin blow so he start to take off like 0.5mm and if you see at the photos there is a big bulk at the end of the TB he took it all the way to the surface, although have told him to take a lot more at the top but he was afraid as hasn't bored TB before, he usually works on cylinder heads, block, pistons, anyway I think he did a good job, as for the back I left it stock like the Spoon one, as a friend told that theory why back part is not bored is that if the ventuli plate is not change, a bigger back will not benefit the air intake flow. Just imagine, wider opening will allow more air to be suck in and with the tapered design it actually create higher pressure of air to the ventuli area(higher air flow), n so how does the bigger opening at the back helps except dispersing the pressure. But again, I'm not saying that the latest experimental mod are no good but have to dyno the cars fitted with both TB to find out the facts. After the work is done I cleaned the TB with air, and used carb cleaner to take off all the carbon deposit, oil. Now the most import part what are the results, will first I didn't didn't feel anything so I reset my ECU, later found that car feels a lot lighter you just to press very little and feel the car is moving fast and I feel it's better high end but still didn't test it, and all that on the stock filter, so with open filter will gain more as it will suck a lot more air. I think the FC will get a little high. The best part of this story how much did I spend. I just spend $5. The machine shop owned my friend they didn't ask anything and the worker worked like 1/2 hour, so I just gave a tip :). the $5 is the cost of the carb cleaner and the transpiration cost to my friend shop, and the worker tip.

Here are the photos, take in consideration it's the first time it has been done and I am sure doesn't look like Spoon TB but again for just $5 and I gained power. :)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eskania/album?.dir=4282&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Banana
21-12-2005, 06:28 AM
wow, how mads that, for free. dyno provened?

08ESE
21-12-2005, 07:24 AM
does it have a bigger butterfly than standard?

kimo
21-12-2005, 10:16 AM
No the stock butterfly

Fizz
21-12-2005, 10:45 AM
do you have any 'before' and 'after' pics to show the difference?

kimo
21-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Imge 542 is before and the rest is after.

fried
21-12-2005, 05:16 PM
looks worse than a bottle neck...
the air is just hitting a wall now. the oem design is for the air to smoothly pass through. now the bored out area is allowing more air to pass through, but it is still hitting a wall at the butterfly plenum - because the butterfly is still oem sized and still allowing the same amount of air through at a given time point.

racinghonda
21-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Yeah it should have been tappered smootly like a funnel

SiR JDM
21-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Have you put it back on the car yet? any noticable change? +ve or -ve?

kimo
21-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Why you think I lost power, if I gained yes I feel the car is lighter now don't have to push the pedal much and all that with stock filter, with POD will gain even more. Btw there was a big metal pcs inthe middle of the TB I shave it all the way, so eben the stock TB wasn't smoth, but I am sure mine is better than the stock at least I paid $5 and I gained power.

bennjamin
21-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Why did you do that ? Im sure the only performance gain was the weight of the metal bored out , removed off the car lol.

BUT meh ~ no one here can actually say until we see this dynoed or flow tested etc etc etc.

08ESE
21-12-2005, 09:12 PM
no point unless u put in a bigger butterfly

kimo
21-12-2005, 10:04 PM
No sir the Spoon has the stock butterfly

kOncept
21-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Sorry but is "venturi" the word you're looking for?

Nice try with the mod tho, I wouldn't try it on my car but according to your butt dyno it seemed to work :thumbsup: now to get some dyno charts happenin! :D

Hi,

I have bored my throttle body at my friend's machine shop. I have found out the TB is not all the same thickness from top to bottom, it's like thick, less thick, then thinner. Told the guy at the machine to take off 3 mm all the way but he said he can't do it because it's very thin blow so he start to take off like 0.5mm and if you see at the photos there is a big bulk at the end of the TB he took it all the way to the surface, although have told him to take a lot more at the top but he was afraid as hasn't bored TB before, he usually works on cylinder heads, block, pistons, anyway I think he did a good job, as for the back I left it stock like the Spoon one, as a friend told that theory why back part is not bored is that if the ventuli plate is not change, a bigger back will not benefit the air intake flow. Just imagine, wider opening will allow more air to be suck in and with the tapered design it actually create higher pressure of air to the ventuli area(higher air flow), n so how does the bigger opening at the back helps except dispersing the pressure. But again, I'm not saying that the latest experimental mod are no good but have to dyno the cars fitted with both TB to find out the facts. After the work is done I cleaned the TB with air, and used carb cleaner to take off all the carbon deposit, oil. Now the most import part what are the results, will first I didn't didn't feel anything so I reset my ECU, later found that car feels a lot lighter you just to press very little and feel the car is moving fast and I feel it's better high end but still didn't test it, and all that on the stock filter, so with open filter will gain more as it will suck a lot more air. I think the FC will get a little high. The best part of this story how much did I spend. I just spend $5. The machine shop owned my friend they didn't ask anything and the worker worked like 1/2 hour, so I just gave a tip :). the $5 is the cost of the carb cleaner and the transpiration cost to my friend shop, and the worker tip.

Here are the photos, take in consideration it's the first time it has been done and I am sure doesn't look like Spoon TB but again for just $5 and I gained power. :)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eskania/album?.dir=4282&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

kimo
21-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Too bad we don't have dyno back here.

Jus-10
22-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Butt dynos are worth about as much as what comes out of them....SH*T!

Nice try but I'm with Benji on this one....at least you saved some weight!

08ESE
22-12-2005, 06:12 PM
not if u have a before and after on the same dyno

panda[cRx]
22-12-2005, 06:55 PM
sounds gangsta, now you can take on WRX's like half the other jazz dreamers (-_-)
(i drive a jazz vti-s almost every day so i know what i jazz can do)

bumography
22-12-2005, 07:04 PM
you woulda been better off spendin $5 on an air freshener

kimo
22-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I am happy what I did, so now I know will do it in all my cars in the future, as it will cost just $5.

bumography
22-12-2005, 07:12 PM
as long as you're happy..
personally i'd spend $5 on an air freshener to increase my own personal pleasure performance.

kimo
23-12-2005, 10:53 AM
You spend on $5 on your car freshener if it makes you happy, any I am happy with my $5 mod, don't need freshener as my car smells good.

VTEC16
23-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Everyone is being a little mean - and kimo is obviously defensive.

In my understanding of fluid dynamics - you probably hindered the efficiency.... but then i only got a 50% for that subject.

good job for giving it a go, but maybe next time do some research before cutting.

racinghonda
23-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I think you would have gotten some gains from it. Quite a lot of machine shops will bore out the TB whilst leaving the stock butterfly. But what they do is that tapper the bore to the size of the butterfly so there isn't a pronounced step. Basically the TB will look like a trumpet. This smoothes the airflow into the plenum and also causes a stronger pressure buildup on the buttlefly which improves throttle response. I plan on doing this to my lude.

For $5 its a good mod, does hell of a lot more for performance than a sticker.

VT3C
23-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Why did you do that ? Im sure the only performance gain was the weight of the metal bored out , removed off the car lol..

:thumbsup: thats about right !!

if you're using your stock butterfly, then effectively you HAVE NOT increased the diameter of your TB.. so no gain from extra air.. i'd suggest less HP from extra turbulence.

credit for EXPERIMENTING though !! but I think your big gains you're feeling are purely placebo.. even fitment of an enlarged aftermarket TB the gains would be minimal without ecu tuning etc.. go change your oil ang you'll prob get a bigger 'power gain'..

kimo
23-12-2005, 04:06 PM
The Spoon TB is bored without changing the butterfly plate for Fit. It is borer at the opening n tapered to the ventuli plate. I think they understand more than us. If people think that I didn't gain anything that's fine with me. Most important thing I am happy with what I did, and like other say maybe I gained from some metal weight lost.

kimo
23-12-2005, 04:07 PM
The Spoon TB is bored without changing the butterfly plate for Fit. It is borer at the opening n tapered to the ventuli plate. I think they understand more than us. If people think that I didn't gain anything that's fine with me. Most important thing I am happy with what I did, and like other say maybe I gained from some metal weight lost. Last thing this was written in other Fit fourms

Basically very simple lah. You need tools like a socket wrench, screw driver & some spanners to get the TB out with just in a few minutes( must disconnect the neg terminal from batt ). Then start cutting with a high speed reamer tool in a funnel like contour shape inside out, thus creating about 58mm on the TB adaptor end. & the inside remains stock inner diameter with the butterfly. Lastly polish the rough cuts with a high speed abrasive mop wheel for smooth finish and thats it. The whole process takes about an hour. After fixing back & hook up the batt, start the engine & wait for about 10 mins before moving off.
The verdict for this mod is that the car definately feels much lighter at high revs, & rpm actually decreases around 100-150 rpm than before. Also didnt felt any unstable rpm during idle too. Couldnt tell how much i`ve gain from this, but basically mods like this will give you around 5-6 bhp increased & thats nothing to brag about loh, unless have dyno to prove. Overall very happy with my own acheivements, especially it costs not even a single cents for me! Laughing. :D

racinghonda
23-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Kimo, mostly with a TB bore out the way you did it is a very common way. You WILL gain some power up top but the most noticable difference will be throttle response. I'll bet the car is much more responsive to small throttle movements now.

kimo
23-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Yep total right, I felt there is more top end, and very true the car is very responsive.

Kimo, mostly with a TB bore out the way you did it is a very common way. You WILL gain some power up top but the most noticable difference will be throttle response. I'll bet the car is much more responsive to small throttle movements now.

JasonGilholme
23-12-2005, 08:10 PM
nice work man. great job for only 5 bucks. I wouldn't be complaining. and the only dyno that really matters is your personal but in the seat one.

Don't let these other fellas get you down. if you think its made an improvement then smile.

Enjoy your mod

Jase

kimo
24-12-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks Jason :)

kOncept
24-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Butt dynos are worth about as much as what comes out of them....SH*T!

Nice try but I'm with Benji on this one....at least you saved some weight!

Heard of street tune? :p

JasonGilholme
24-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks Jason :)

No problem bro.

GD1 Jazz
24-12-2005, 08:47 PM
The Spoon TB is bored without changing the butterfly plate for Fit. It is borer at the opening n tapered to the ventuli plate. I think they understand more than us. If people think that I didn't gain anything that's fine with me. Most important thing I am happy with what I did, and like other say maybe I gained from some metal weight lost. Last thing this was written in other Fit fourms

Basically very simple lah. You need tools like a socket wrench, screw driver & some spanners to get the TB out with just in a few minutes( must disconnect the neg terminal from batt ). Then start cutting with a high speed reamer tool in a funnel like contour shape inside out, thus creating about 58mm on the TB adaptor end. & the inside remains stock inner diameter with the butterfly. Lastly polish the rough cuts with a high speed abrasive mop wheel for smooth finish and thats it. The whole process takes about an hour. After fixing back & hook up the batt, start the engine & wait for about 10 mins before moving off.
The verdict for this mod is that the car definately feels much lighter at high revs, & rpm actually decreases around 100-150 rpm than before. Also didnt felt any unstable rpm during idle too. Couldnt tell how much i`ve gain from this, but basically mods like this will give you around 5-6 bhp increased & thats nothing to brag about loh, unless have dyno to prove. Overall very happy with my own acheivements, especially it costs not even a single cents for me! Laughing. :D

Gee...thanks for advertising the above for me Kimo( aka eskania? ). Well, i should say that theres visible changes in the engine`s rpm as its running lower after the mod apparently( no such changes before when i switched to pod ), meaning that the engine is running less rich than stock form as more air is given to it whenever the butterfly is open or closed( unmodified ecu ). Whether is there any power gained or not, the felt is not really significant, but at least it does helps saving some fuel afterall as the engine rpm is slightly lower than before at it`s specific cruising speed and thus, a $5 mod with improved fuel consumption and engine`s response is a kinda cheapest mod you can get( provided you have the source & as for me, my own D.I.Y ) compaired to those after markets air filters, grounding wires, magnets, power ignitions, etc... which could costs you a few hundreds!! If you never try, you will never know.

Tofu
25-12-2005, 01:46 AM
um...
does the Spoon throttle body mod give any gains? has anyone tried it?
what Spoon has done doesn't make it all "correct"

kOncept
25-12-2005, 03:52 AM
tofu the Spoon throttle body will give gains, on a stock engine i'm not so sure but if the engine was modified to a certain extent where the standard throttle body was no longer adequate that's where it would give most gain...:)

kimo
25-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Spoon Will give gain in stock engine, like mine gave gain on stock engine.

kimo
27-12-2005, 08:10 AM
How come sometimes I feel the throttle very responsive and sometimes not.

racinghonda
27-12-2005, 08:35 AM
How come sometimes I feel the throttle very responsive and sometimes not.

I'm guessing that will depend a lot on the gear you're in, rpm, temperature?