PDA

View Full Version : Bumpstops

pinklady
23-12-2005, 01:40 AM
question with sussy..

if a sussy wth low spring is sitting on its bumpstops (ie: no more travel left), is it wise to cut the bumpstops? as this will allow a little bit more travel ..but will this also b hurting the sussy as the stroke is going in/ sitting deeper?

bumpstops are there to prevent the stroke to hit the bottom of the sussy am i right?

thanks.

steve
23-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Do not cut bumpstops
If car is being driven DO NOT have it so low that it is close to bumpstops

You have effectively chucked any ride quality, handling, body control, and shock life out the window...

If you want low, do it properly with either coilovers or bags

faijai
23-12-2005, 07:15 AM
i have to cut one of the lobes of my bump stops off due to the same reason as yours. shocks werent getting enough travel. Do you run the stock shocks? if you lower anything form its standard height it puts stress on the shocks.

bennjamin
23-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Do not cut bumpstops
If car is being driven DO NOT have it so low that it is close to bumpstops

You have effectively chucked any ride quality, handling, body control, and shock life out the window...

If you want low, do it properly with either coilovers or bags

You cut bumpstops , on KONI yellow setups as per guided via the actual instructions. Even then , the suspension stroke shouldnt come close to hitting them ~ doesnt this mean regardless of bumpstop length the ride/handling/body control will be the same as per norm ? ;)

But yes - with any suspension if you lower it to a degree ou are shortening the shock life , even with coilovers etc.

egSi
23-12-2005, 09:25 AM
instead of being ghetto and cuttin stock bump stops, get a set of these:

http://undergroundimports.com.au/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=368&osCsid=52de4b6e67ca167bdfd1954205d1cc62

these were designed for low cars and i mean LOW. i have a set in my eg on my konis, work a treat. gives me peace of mind for sure :thumbsup:

wynode
23-12-2005, 09:48 AM
LOL@free plug :p

They looks like OEM bumpstops cut down and spray painted :p

egSi
23-12-2005, 09:51 AM
LOL@free plug :p

They looks like OEM bumpstops cut down and spray painted :p

lol nah man, these r made out of some poly-something stuff not camping bed matress foam like the stock ones :p

good **** ;)

ek4-guy
23-12-2005, 10:26 AM
shortend or lowerd bumps stop are very impotant as when driving along and you hit the bump stop witch its not designed to do. It can bounce you of the road so if your car is hittin then id look at having them cut or buying lowerd ones

aozora
23-12-2005, 12:00 PM
e-lolz @ cutting bumpstops

pinklady
23-12-2005, 12:25 PM
thanks guys. i have felt the bumpstops from both stock and coilovers, and found tat the stocks once are quite soft whereas the once off coilovers are so firm. ( ie: holding 2 bumpstops on hand, the stock once are so easy to compress just with my 2 hands, but the coilover bumpstop is hard as rock :o )

when the sussy is sitting on its bumpstop ( no travel ), apart from it'll bounce u off the road like 'ek4-guy' has mentioned, will it have any other adverse affect on the sussy/coilover?? (yes, keeping in mind tat any lower height will have streess on the sussy)

ek4-guy
23-12-2005, 12:33 PM
lolz @aozora sorry if cutting is not up to your high standards but as we are not all you and i am just here to learn about my car an maybe help a few others im not here to complain about people doin things a cheaper way as long as it is safe to do so witch as bennjamin said earlier koni instructions is to cut them so um lets see should we listen to koni or aozora

saxman
23-12-2005, 01:06 PM
the instructions that came with my springs from progress auto and my shocks from tokico both had instructions that said to cut the stock bump stops

aozora
23-12-2005, 08:28 PM
lolz @aozora sorry if cutting is not up to your high standards but as we are not all you and i am just here to learn about my car an maybe help a few others im not here to complain about people doin things a cheaper way as long as it is safe to do so witch as bennjamin said earlier koni instructions is to cut them so um lets see should we listen to koni or aozora

Edit: *snip*
Why are you getting offended (e-lolz in itself)? And why are you only having a go at me?
Steve pretty much got it in one go and I agree with him.

Only in certain situations/setups would you cut them (ie. ones with stroke room?). I don't think you know the reasoning behind cutting them honestly. So before you "help" other people... make sure you know what you're going on about and the theory/application behind it (I don't claim to all the time and I will say so if I don't personally).

So if only ME has high standards when it comes to being dodgy and just dumping the crap out of a car so it sits on the bumpstops, you think it's going to be enormously better by cutting one "ring" out? Especially if the spring rates are soft?
Do it properly, don't take something that could affect safety lightly. Safety isn't a high standard, it's a necessity on these roads.

Domokun SPL
24-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Cutting bump stops is fine, i may have to do it to my car too.

However, as said, cutting bump stops shouldnt be done when the car is almost sitting on them, but should be done if the car is being lowered to a point where the travel will be long enough to produce a quality ride but still you want that extra 5cm of travel "just in case"

That doesnt really make sense but say, the car has 100mm travel standard, and on max compression it goes down to 20mm before bump stops, well if you lower the car 30mm, then it will go into -10mm bump stop area, meaning, you should cut the bump stops 10mm to comensate

...that kinda makes sense. Though, you should compensate with a slightly higher springrate so the car shouldnt travel as much as std.

pinklady
24-12-2005, 03:26 PM
However, as said, cutting bump stops shouldnt be done when the car is almost sitting on them....

thansk Domokun SPL, may i ask ..wat will happen if u cut a little out of the bumpstop (to gain some travel) when its almost/is sitting on them?

also any comments/help on this?

when the sussy is sitting on its bumpstop ( no travel ), apart from it'll bounce u off the road like 'ek4-guy' has mentioned, will it have any other adverse affect on the sussy/coilover?? (yes, keeping in mind tat any lower height will have streess on the sussy)

cheers

aozora
25-12-2005, 02:36 AM
It'd be better ever so slightly but really not worth the effort imo... better spend your time/money on something with alot better results... ie. raised springs :p

Domokun SPL
25-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Well, the shock is made to work in the range of full extension to say 80% compression compression, not 100% as obviously the bump stops are there.

So now, think, lowering the car you have made the shock only work in the area of 70%-90% (cut bump stops). I just wont handle and act as if it was working its full length.

As aozora said above, invest in some raised springs. If you think your car still looks too high, get some bigger wheels to compensate (plus a speedo recalibration if needed)

To be honest, if you have so little travel in your suspension that your car is "almost sitting on the bump stops", you REALLY need to raise the car as every day that goes by you are causing premature wear.

ek4-guy
26-12-2005, 10:24 AM
thats funny i dont understand the reasoning behind bump stops is that your car will hit them lowerd or not an if you lower your car you run the risk off bottoming out on them an havin them bounce your whole wheels of the ground an your car of the road another thing most of yous are not considering is that hondas have a very low centre of gravity an for every inche your car is lowered you lower your centre of gravit witch puts major stress on suspension i must admit ive only owned my honda for 3 months but i do have a commodore with over 7 grand worth of adjustable suspension an i have it lowerd 4 inches witch puts the centre of gravity 1 metre under the road surface witch means the car is less likly to roll over but the weight on the shocks an springs nearly 3 times as mutch during corners an as i was sayin before well my car has only the best an would not touch cut bump stops but im not goin to get on my high horse about it an if you want reall lowerd bump stops go to a place that at least knows what they are made of few hint would be noeprene or nolothane

tRipitaka
26-12-2005, 10:31 AM
thats funny i dont understand the reasoning behind bump stops is that your car will hit them lowerd or not an if you lower your car you run the risk off bottoming out on them an havin them bounce your whole wheels of the ground an your car of the road another thing most of yous are not considering is that hondas have a very low centre of gravity an for every inche your car is lowered you lower your centre of gravit witch puts major stress on suspension i must admit ive only owned my honda for 3 months but i do have a commodore with over 7 grand worth of adjustable suspension an i have it lowerd 4 inches witch puts the centre of gravity 1 metre under the road surface witch means the car is less likly to roll over but the weight on the shocks an springs nearly 3 times as mutch during corners an as i was sayin before well my car has only the best an would not touch cut bump stops but im not goin to get on my high horse about it an if you want reall lowerd bump stops go to a place that at least knows what they are made of few hint would be noeprene or nolothane
that's gotta be the longest sentence i've ever seen..

Domokun SPL
27-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Well, dont cut your bump stops if you dont want to, but bottoming out is not a fun scenario. Cutting the bump stops helps to maintain the correct ammount of needed travel.

If you lower a car, generally the spring rate will increase to compensate for the reduced travel in the suspension. Nobody lowers cars with springrates the same as std (or, similar to chopping) as that will just make the car bounce all over the place off the bumpstops.

Its generally a good idea to get shock absorbers that are made for being lower too, meaning they have a higher damper rate. Also, you will find differences in valving etc in shock absorbers that were ment to be lowered.

What does $7000 worth of suspension in a commodore get you?

Please explain to me exactly how your centre of gravity (COG) is 1 metre below the road surface. From what i knew, COG was definated as the point in any object about which it is in perfect balance no matter how it is turned or rotated around that point.

I hope that isnt an indication that you got ripped off.

Cheers