PDA

View Full Version : dodgy lookn external coil

MRH-22A
25-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Anybody know if this kind of external coil thing is safe? Looks dodgy to me... but i wouldnt know.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/7619CIMG3010.jpg

And also... u can see here that the there's no cap or cover which leaves the connectors exposed. Is this safe?

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/7619CIMG3009.jpg

Ever since i got the car back there has been a whistling kind of sound when i accelerate. Could this external coil be the cause?

JasonGilholme
25-12-2005, 04:24 AM
looks dodgey to me man

especially if you get some water up under the bonnet there could be major problems with the ignition system. Im not sure what its meant to look like cause i don't have a honda but someone on here should know what its meant to look like.

I say dodgey tho

Merry christmas

Jason

toE
25-12-2005, 07:49 AM
It does look dodgy. Maybe tape it up temporarily and get your mechanic's opinion on it?

Why did you get your car back for?

That whistling sound...any chance it could be your intake? *shrugs*

SKREMN
25-12-2005, 12:12 PM
that looks like a charlie gpc job
i had the same set up also on b18a you will have an external igniter somehwere to go along with this
charlie did mine for me but then i redid it all, got msd ignition and msd coil
I did notice it went better and also got rid of my missfire after i redid it

i dont think that could have anything to do with your whistle
but from what i hear h22a's like to whistle its the throttle bodys
i had a h22a throttle body on my b18 for a short while and it also had an annoying whistle to it when i accelerated
once i swoped over to an s2000 throttle body direct bolt on I didnt touch my intake or anything else and the whistle was gone

MRH-22A
25-12-2005, 01:15 PM
too right... it was done by charlie at gpc.

thanks guyz. now i can tell off that dick charlie.

Spoon-Accord
25-12-2005, 01:50 PM
seriously dood..

did u get misfiring problems before?

cause i get it in my h22a.. its anoyying

MRH-22A
25-12-2005, 08:44 PM
seriously dood..

did u get misfiring problems before?

cause i get it in my h22a.. its anoyying

what is misfiring....?

SKREMN
25-12-2005, 10:22 PM
my stock internal coil and ignither was better then the externals set up charlie did it cant handle high comp at high revs
after revving endlessly at 9k for few mins it then started to overheat and missfire
it was the external igniter stock with preludes i think
the msd ignition and coil got rid of that problem

SKREMN
25-12-2005, 10:24 PM
what is misfiring....?
it when your motor misses a beat
one or more of the spark plugs will not fire and therefore havng an uncombusten cylinder making your car run shit
my car did it allways between 3/4000 rev range its like a bog bown point

i can spot a charlie job from a mile away i work with him nearly every sunday and my car lives there
if you go back to charlie will insisit its ok and not to worry but just get some tape and tidy it up your self not hard
also get a new lead from the coil to the dizzy he would of just found that lead in a box of old ones he gets from the wreakers
top gun made me a custom one to suite my car and also got a whole set from them
8.8mm hot RED
set me back $122.00

SKREMN
25-12-2005, 10:36 PM
also the coil is a high powered spark making device that what it looks like is located next to your fule rail and injectors
just incase the worse was to happend and you had a fule leak you could start a fire
my rail was leaking just the otherday
this is how it was set up originally in my car with the b18
keep it away from the motor trying to keep it cool and away from any fule sources
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/skremnLS/coil.jpg

stocky
25-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Get the original bracket for the H22A and it will look stock again, similar to SKREMN's. It looks like a crappy bracket there holding it in. The coil will then be pointed the other way with the coil lead pointing up.

GPC used a stock 91 prelude igniter by the looks of the car i have sitting here.

SKREMN
25-12-2005, 11:27 PM
we both have the same stock bracket but mine is modified a bit he has a bracket holding the bracket that holds it to the car thats why it looks so bodgy

stocky
25-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Yeah, maybe its missing the second bracket that goes from the coil bracket to the head.

Anyhow, it looks bodged.

MRH-22A
26-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Ok... so if i tape it up a bit and change the lead from the coil to the dizzy, then it will stop the misfiring?

i think i know what u mean about the misfiring... i fink i hav felt the bog down before around 3/4krpm.

Do you think it would be betta to have the stock internal ignition coil? or having charlie's setup betta?

iamhappy46
26-12-2005, 01:54 PM
The 'whistle' could be from the alternator, aftermarket car stereo's 10 years back used to get it bad.
Check the wiring, good clean wiring and connectors from the coil to battery and chassis should fix the whistle noise.

MRH-22A
26-12-2005, 02:03 PM
thing is... i onli started hearing the noise when i got the car back. and that was when i had the external ignition coil done.

iamhappy46
26-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Sorry, I meant the new ignition coil is causing the whistle, not the stereo.
Same principle tho

SKREMN
26-12-2005, 06:20 PM
the coil could be interfering with some of your other electrical components when i put the MSD ignition in it ***ed with my alarms sirens
if you have missfire its prolly not your coil but your igniter little square box 5cm by 5cm maybe dark red

2MPRSS
26-12-2005, 11:07 PM
mine and my mates old integra had the whistling noise it was the intake

MRH-22A
27-12-2005, 12:08 AM
so replace the little square box???

the whistle is not constant. when i accelerate, it whistles and then stops. what i mean is when im flooring... it only whistles for a bit and then stops.

2MPRSS
27-12-2005, 12:20 AM
yep sounds like intake to me ,when i push gas slightly it makes the sound and keep it going by accelerating at a certain pace

SKREMN
27-12-2005, 11:32 AM
thats exactly what my car used to do with i had h22a throttel body
also now i have a 70mm intake manifold but only running stock throttel body about 60mm its whistels like hell
it may need to be port mached
take off your intake pipe and run around the block without and filters or pipe and see if it still whistels if it does its your throttel body