PDA

View Full Version : to EG or to EK...that is the question

jay-bee'z
16-09-2003, 08:20 PM
hey all...wondering what your opinons are on what civic to get.

as im looking to buy a slightly modded civic quite shortly (trying to keep insurance down), and i had my heart set on an EG sedan (lowered on 17's, stereo, tints etc.) but driving past the carpark yesterday a silver EK hatch caught my eye, and now im leaning towards that, thinking well maybe the EG is getting a bit old now (no offence to any EG owners out there, I love those cars) but maybe something newer would be better, like a 96 or 97 Cxi or Gli, or VTi if the budget stretches...but just wondering what the power is like on the cxi/gli version, i heard there only 88kw...wondering if this is gonna leave me feeling empty hearted as I got a 92 pulsar atm and its 105kw supposbly...

but what am tryin to ask is, which would you choose if you had a choice, and why...EK or EG, what u rekkkon ayyyy?

thnx

Jnr Teggy
16-09-2003, 08:43 PM
EG for me thanks!

Teggy-Vtir
16-09-2003, 08:44 PM
EK vtir for me

jay-bee'z
16-09-2003, 08:47 PM
umm can i get some reason why u choose what ya choose, as dont want it to end up like a poll...need some pros n cons to decide which model to get..ta

A'PEXi
16-09-2003, 08:49 PM
cxi/gli ek's use the d16y4 - sohc 1.6 non-vtec.... 88kw flywheel stock... and yeh its going to be slower than the pulsar... if you go up to the vti model then you will have a d16y8 i think which is a sohc vtec about 96kw... i've currently got the 88kw version with zorst, cai and extractors... there has been a slight gain over stock, tad more responsive... alright for daily driving i guess... depends what you need the car for... something like a eg vti would give you more power and at a lower cost than a ek vti. vti-r by all means would be the most powerful but it might blow your budget... cosmetic wise both look very good i think, imo i would prefer the interior of an ek though.

just my 2c.

Teggy-Vtir
16-09-2003, 08:50 PM
wats ur budget?
well if u wanna spend around 15k -16k u can get a decent Ek vtir

CXI and GLI are basically d same..
go look in the sticky section.

jay-bee'z
16-09-2003, 08:58 PM
yeh i like the EK interior better too yeh...

well i should point out budget about 13g's and well its going to be used for daily driving, not a speed freak just looking for sumthing with moderate performance (dont wanna get caught with something gutless) and well my factors for buying is...1st looks, 2nd reliablity 3rd performance...

keep the comments commin :)

Teggy-Vtir
16-09-2003, 08:59 PM
i reckon the EK looks better.

Setanta
16-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Neither - get an EF instead ;)

Ok - I'll stop being biased - I just think it's a prettier car ;)

EM VTiR coupe would be my choice.

I certainly wouldn't get a CXi etc - B16A powered is your best option - unless you find a EG6 SiR - there are one or two around.

Spunkymonkey
16-09-2003, 09:21 PM
Neither - get an EF instead ;)

Ok - I'll stop being biased - I just think it's a prettier car ;)

EM VTiR coupe would be my choice.

I certainly wouldn't get a CXi etc - B16A powered is your best option - unless you find a EG6 SiR - there are one or two around.

you mean EK don't you pete :p

EM is 3rd gen.

For that amount of money I would look for a EG SI. You would be hard finding a EK VTIR for that price.

Oh...and insurance for an EG is a killer!! a bit better for an EK.

Setanta
16-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Ummm... check your alphabet Q EM does not come before EF, EG, EK etc :P EM is the US designation for the Si/VTiR coupe (unless I'm going senile - I just got home from HSC marking).

3rd gens were under the ED designation (you posted this a while back ;) ) and run an EW motor - just to confuse the issue.

genesis
16-09-2003, 09:32 PM
my EK is forsale for 17k with stock rims

jay-bee'z
16-09-2003, 09:37 PM
well basically its EG Vti (vs.) EK CXi/Gli hatch or sedan, perhaps a VTi if budget allows yeah..

EG's killer for insurance ay, thats good to know, as thats a factor in my decision for sure..

thanx

wynode
16-09-2003, 09:47 PM
EG costs more to insure than an EK? I find that hard to believe.

If you are going to get an EK, then you will have to get a vti-r if you are after power. The EK civics (Gli, cxi, vti) are are pretty gutless.

If you are going EG then get either the VTi or Si and nothing else (as the GL, Gli are all gutless).

Build quality on the EGs are good so the interior (provided it has been looked after) should be in good nick and last a few years easily.

Please take the time to check the Sticky in this forum for additional info.

Spunkymonkey
16-09-2003, 09:52 PM
[quote="wynode"]EG costs more to insure than an EK? I find that hard to believe.

quote]

my sister's boyfriend has an EG civic. When he was getting quotes for it he was astounded as EG is one of the most frequently stolen hondas. His premiums were all around the $2000 mark. My sisters EK vtir civic was cheaper...just over 1K because it had more safety features.

Spunkymonkey
16-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Ummm... check your alphabet Q EM does not come before EF, EG, EK etc :P EM is the US designation for the Si/VTiR coupe (unless I'm going senile - I just got home from HSC marking).

3rd gens were under the ED designation (you posted this a while back ;) ) and run an EW motor - just to confuse the issue.

my bad...its late..and I'm still at work :oops:

Trust-Me
16-09-2003, 11:31 PM
if i had that amount of money, i would definately get a EG Si, twin cam motor and it has more potential than the vti and abit more torque (vti only single cam vtec)...which leaves plenty of money left over too...maybe a kit, wheels.....but i prob nitrous it for extra power and fun...

but its all up to you dude...its your choice in the end

laters

Setanta
17-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Both the EG VTi and EG Si run similar output stock. The US aftermarket favours the SOHC VTEC engine - mostly because they didn't get the ZC in any of its guises. Both engines are "D" series, meaning the a B16 or B18 swap will require custom mounts - but there are turbo setups available for both.

I still think if you are looking for performance out of a box, the EK VTiR is the way to go.

Cheers

wynode
17-09-2003, 09:34 AM
I still think if you are looking for performance out of a box, the EK VTiR is the way to go.

True. Only that there is atleast a 5K difference :)

bennjamin
17-09-2003, 10:03 AM
the D16a8 out of our aussie delivered EG5 Si is no bad thing mind u....stock it eats the Vti SOHC due to a lump more torque thanks to 2 cams instead of one....with minor mods ( see semi-interior strip, exhaust, filter, semi slick tyres :D ) u can beat a stock VTiR no worries. Just dont take on a worked B16a LOL...

IF u can find a clean example, let alone a Si ( they seem to be rare nowadays) get it for under $9k and u are cheering.

But yeah, for the extra $5k or so u probably are better off gettin a stock VTiR - its cheaper and more reliable than gettin a EG and doin a conversion :D

Ben

jay-bee'z
17-09-2003, 12:58 PM
ok...i need to sorta set it straight here, im not after a VTi-R, as its too dear i think...(would be nice thou), and im not into engine conversions or anything im looking for 'out of the box' power...and im thinkin u guys are focusing too much on power, when i say power, i mean, something that won't act sluggish & slow up hills...and as im an everyday driver, only looking for good respose basically like 0-70 speeds n that, past 100 i dont give a fluck how good or bad it is..

so thats the run down, keep ya comments coming, its good to hear opinons...im leaning towards EK at the moment, but hopeing a cxi/gli/vti will be addiquite....is their much difference between the vti & gli/cxi models?

(PS: ive read the sticky on civic models heaps...not looking for tech answers, just personal experience)

thxn heaps

wynode
17-09-2003, 01:27 PM
OK I will restate:

The EK Gli, Cxi and Vti are all pretty guteless.

Given that info you just posted i'd point at either the EG Si or Vti. Also, given that you are not planning on 'reving it' much i'd go the EG si as it make a bit more torque lower down the vti.

Can't make it any simpler than that.

Weq
17-09-2003, 01:48 PM
EG VTi - cause its got a eletric sunroof! Seriously, the most used component of my interior is the sunroof. Its designed flawlessly, gives u a gentle 'fresh air' feel when u want, or a gushing breeze if u need.

Sorry, i'm very biased.

Stock as a rock, i love my VTi sedan. The interior rocks, and it has every honda quality u could ask for. SOHC VTEC gives it good fuel efficency, which some balls when u wanna get up a hill fast.

A good condition manual will set u back around 10-12k, depending on K's rego etc.. autos seem to be a bit cheaper.

I grabbed mine for 11.5k about 7 months ago, stocker 127k.

ps. make sure u get one with a spoiler. I'm not usually a fanof spoilers, but i hate the ass of the eg sedans without spoilers.

eknine
17-09-2003, 01:50 PM
jay,

contact me if you are interested.

i know of 2 guys selling civic.

one is a civic vti-r(i saw ur budget and its going to stretch only by a little), for that price you will know that you r getting a good price becoz alots of other goodies comes with it, if you don't like those goodies you can take them out and sell them. the current owner has not time to revert back to stock. but i think you'd be a happy man and if you decide to revert it back to stock, chances are you can own a vti-r for less than your budget. there is a catch though,because the owner will be leaving town soon.
its a 96 vti-r, with stocks rims...thats all i wanna say. if you r keen and in sydney , let me know.

one is a civic cxi with an engine swap (this may stretch, becoz its a 1.8L)

so far i have assist in all my mates in purchasing their cars, no one has yet left a unhappy man/lady. i'm not charging a fee. and i'm doing this coz i am currently scouting for honda for 2 of my mates. just let you in, since you are keen and on abt the same budget. btw you will not see those cars that mentioned on the market as yet, coz they are a preview from the owners, esp the civic vti-r.

eknine
17-09-2003, 01:59 PM
the D16a8 out of our aussie delivered EG5 Si is no bad thing mind u....stock it eats the Vti SOHC due to a lump more torque thanks to 2 cams instead of one....with minor mods ( see semi-interior strip, exhaust, filter, semi slick tyres :D ) u can beat a stock VTiR no worries. Just dont take on a worked B16a LOL...
Ben

:?: are you comparing a mod EG5 Si vs a stock civic vti-r?? :lol:

AP1 F20c
17-09-2003, 08:11 PM

I beg to differ, there is not much possibility of a worked Si taking on a VTi-R. Both are DOHC and the EK4 is equipped with the most important thing, VTEC. This cam of VTEC is way stronger compared to an Si without any form of engine work. You can have an entired stripped interior, a full exhaust (headers + catback) and a high flow filter + whatever tyres. You still would not walk an EK4 on acceleration. The cornering/handling improvement is held out almost entirely by the SS tyres and THAT itself puts the entire statement to question. :roll:

Wynode edit: Black text only thanks

Teggy-Vtir
17-09-2003, 08:23 PM
on a straight drag the eg(worked with those mod listed) will beat the ek vtir (stock)

Teggy-Vtir
17-09-2003, 08:25 PM
actually come to fink of it.. i dunt fink it can =)

AP1 F20c
17-09-2003, 08:34 PM
You contradicting yourself? Unfortunately with no engine work, it's just not happening. The VTEC cam/kick-in will walk the EG with no hesitation. What sorta power increase we're talking about from an EG Si? 10 max 15 bhp? And that's still no where close to the basic power output of the B16A. :roll:

Setanta
17-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I gotta agree with that. Compare an EG Si to an EF CRX (a fair bit lighter) as both run the same engine. I've seen a stock VTiR totally walk one unmodified - the CRX ran I/H/E. My SiR by virtue of being lighter than a VTiR then walked it as well - stock. A stock B16A is between 30 and 40 bhp ahead of a stock ZC/D series DOHC. I/H/E will NOT make 30bhp - no matter how optimistic you are :) Gut the interior? Who does that on the road? Gut both interiors and I have a feeling it will remain on a par.

Teggy-Vtir
17-09-2003, 09:37 PM
ah i dunno,
ive seen an EG beat a EK vtir
dunno wat mods he had in his EG but

LatinoHatchCrap
17-09-2003, 11:35 PM
EG4sho!!! :wink:

Trust-Me
17-09-2003, 11:54 PM
ive been in an EG Si hatch back before and that thing can go....but ive seen EG Si with mod beat a stock VTi-R..

and remember the EGs are quite litter than the EKs...which is why they can be really quick with some mods.

ive seen some EG Si come with sunroof too...

basically ur goina waste ur money with any of the EKs (except for the VTi-R) they are slow and gutless just like wynode said.

RAYTDR
17-09-2003, 11:59 PM
I have owned a EG and EK civic and, if u don't really care about power then i would go for an EK Gli. The reason being is that it's a newer car, it would be silly to buy an older car if u just want it as a reliable daily driver. What i mean is if u have $13,000 and u wanted performance then i would say EG and mod the bitch or try find an SiR but for what u want i would say EK.

My friends mum has a manual EK Gli and my mate raced his cousin a few times who has a Ford SR2 Laser and the Civic won every time. So for what they are they are good.

Also the EG i had was a Gli and had beaten my mate several times who had a TX3 with I/H/E, I only had a exhaust cat back. 1.5 vs 1.6.

So they are both not slugish i would just go EK cus like i said earlier its a newer car and i like the shape better.

Cheers,
Matt :D

LatinoHatchCrap
18-09-2003, 12:04 AM
if i was you i would get the ek with the b16a,,,IMO that guy that loss to the si was a chit driver or sumting,,,but head to head a SIR EG will scrape the floor with a EK VTIR...

bennjamin
18-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Hmm...i alomost started a stir there lol...

sorry if i shocked sum people...maybe i am "jumping the gun " myself.

All i know is - with my current mods - i have had 2 traffic light races and 4 liverpool exhuast drags agains vtirs - 5 /6 i beat all way thru to 3rd - equal at end of 3rd. So , sum hwere modded too , sum were weighed down by stero gear etc. Or just a fat driver.

Well, on paper these 2 cars shoudl be around equal...aroudn same power to weight ratio.

Anyway, get a EG5 Si !

Ben

vti-2
18-09-2003, 12:42 AM
EG's are lighter... :mrgreen:

AP1 F20c
18-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Still wouldn't justify anything if you ask me. A comparison with something that's modified and something that's stock is virtually pointless. Howabout the comparisons of 2 similar displacement engines/specs before raising a point? Ala the Mirage/Lancer Cyborg R vs the Civic SiR/VTi-R ... ?

I've seen this and I've seen that = Absolutely nothing. Wanna make a real comparison? Save it for the offline work. Anyone can be an armchair expert online. :roll:

wynode
18-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Yeahh sorry Ben. The Si is quick but its not that quick.

The vti-r has a bigger (and larger) powerband above 6000 RPM.

A'PEXi
18-09-2003, 11:51 AM
The EK Gli, Cxi and Vti are all pretty guteless.

in a way yes if you are comparing it to the b16a, d16a8... but against your everyday lancer you would get a bit ahead... also cheaper :P

Trust-Me
18-09-2003, 12:31 PM
in a way yes if you are comparing it to the b16a, d16a8... but against your everyday lancer you would get a bit ahead... also cheaper :P

yeah thats true if you compare it to an everyday lancer, ive seen a EK cxi with pod and a no cat exhaust beat an N15 Pulsar SSS....but that guy can drive...

wynode
18-09-2003, 12:44 PM
yeah thats true if you compare it to an everyday lancer, ive seen a EK cxi with pod and a no cat exhaust beat an N15 Pulsar SSS....but that guy can drive...

I hightly doubt it.

Chances are the SSS driver couldn't drive.

AP1 F20c
18-09-2003, 01:01 PM
The N15 SR20DE's power output is even higher than an EK4 SiR/VTi-R, there's no way a DOHC VTEC can beat it both in stock form, let alone the base model CXi. I agree with Wynode, it's either the N15 has a bad driver or it's simply the N15 didn't even wanna bother.

This is simple displacement talk, not even talking about technological differences. How can a 2.0 litre lose to a what? 1.6 SOHC non-VTEC block? Impossible if you ask me, absolutely impossible. The power figures just don't match. Why is there always talk about I see this beat this and that beat that? Maybe there should be a "KILL/Challenge Encounters" forum instead. It's not impossible but definitely most pointless at times.

:roll:

wynode
18-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Correction.

The Pulsar SSS makes 105kW from 2.0L while the DOHC VTEC makes 118kW from 1.6L

A EK Vti-R WILL beat a SSS and thats a fact. Even the SSS guys have admitted this on pulsar.org.au

An integra GSi 'may' (pure speculation based on power specs) beat a SSS but all DOHC VTEC hondas will swallow a SSS.......esp. when in their powerband.

ANd yes I agree.....all this "I saw this do that, and that do this".....people shouldnt belive everything they see *sigh*

bennjamin
18-09-2003, 02:29 PM
i sigh too....but i did it * puts on flame retardent jacket lol*...

maybe these guys girl in da passenger side are too fat :P . ( i am going to get smacked again by a few friends lol)

Anyway ! who cares !!! i know what i did - it wasnt that hard - the vtir must be rice or just poo at driving!

But yes. AGAIN...get a EG5 Si....or a VTiR ! ! ! Just make sure its stock !

Ben

weezer
18-09-2003, 03:09 PM
from what i've heard.

EG's were made in Japan and EK's were made in the US. So i'd go for the EG :D

Setanta
18-09-2003, 04:03 PM
from what i've heard.

EG's were made in Japan and EK's were made in the US. So i'd go for the EG :D

EGs and EKs were made in Japan for our market - the EM Coupe (same time period as the EK and same nose cone shape etc) was built in the US :)

Some people will dispute the US vs Japan build quality - dunno how much of an issue it really is

AP1 F20c
18-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Don't bother asking who told you which is made where ... All Hondas made in Japan begin with "JHM" on the chassis code. Anything else, is not.

Setanta
18-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Don't bother asking who told you which is made where ... All Hondas made in Japan begin with "JHM" on the chassis code. Anything else, is not.

Not all Hondas... mine doesn't and it was bulilt in Japan :P

Nice location - wish I was there to go shopping for factory parts :wink:

eknine
18-09-2003, 06:24 PM

Not all Hondas... mine doesn't and it was bulilt in Japan :P

Nice location - wish I was there to go shopping for factory parts :wink:

Although i cannot be certain if yours is japan made, but i do know for sure that all my family cars is made in japan and their chassis no all start with "jhm".

this is just for info, don't mean to start senseless debate and if you have to pick every detail- yes, the nsx and likes of the new generations(MDX, jazz, hybrid) are the only cars that my family has not own as yet.

ps: i didn't say that yours is not japan made. :)

apologise, have to repharse and do editing, coz ppl do get jumpy at every word. cheers!

last edit-remove sensitive para

eknine
18-09-2003, 06:29 PM
although, i'm not keen to give you every detail of our chassis nos. you can be sure if it starts off like

JHMAP1......
JHMEK4......

don't quote me, but i tend to see that the relation of "JHM" stands for japan honda made...correct me if i'm wrong.

Setanta
18-09-2003, 06:51 PM
I AM certain where mine was built :P:P:P

My car was built in Japan - for the Japanese market and starts with EF9. :)

Setanta
18-09-2003, 06:56 PM
This is the original VIN on my car - yes it's masked and it means nothing anyway since it's been superceeded by its new numbers on import

http://home.iprimus.com.au/cuchulainn/ef9/jdnvin.jpg

eknine
18-09-2003, 07:05 PM
ps: i didn't say that yours is not japan made. :)

see how i say "jhm" and not "JDM".... :twisted:

nice JDM ride....bragging rights :thumbsup:

AP1 F20c
18-09-2003, 07:30 PM
JDM Hondas don't have the "JHM" tag which is used for export - Chassis identification. While JHM is stuck on export Hondas made in Japan only with the simple meaning Japan Honda Manufactured.

eknine
18-09-2003, 07:40 PM
my bad on the meaning of "JHM"... :) :thumbsup:

jay-bee'z
18-09-2003, 08:55 PM
so yeah anyways, back to me and my choice of car ... :P hmm where were we?

Trust-Me
18-09-2003, 10:41 PM
I hightly doubt it.

Chances are the SSS driver couldn't drive.

beleive me or not but its true, a group of us use to go late at nite to a long stretch of road and test our cars and drag. both cars were dead even until the cxi pulled away slightly, they went twice and second time round they were even all the way!!! both drivers were good driver but the guy with the cxi was a really good driver and he knew his car plus he didnt even have a tacho..(cxi dosent have a tacho).he get second and third wheel spin!!!...i think hes car was pretty light took spare wheel and stuff out but full interior....

its kewl if u guys find it hard to beleive but it shocked everyone that was there...

wynode
18-09-2003, 10:44 PM
The reason I said that is beacuse I have raced a gli civic and I know how quick they are.

I'm willing to give him a run though ;)

Anyways, back on topic.

Trust-Me
18-09-2003, 10:51 PM
yeah its all good i dont expect people to believe that but for everyone that was there they know exactly what happened..

sorry wynode but he sold and we havnt seen him since.. :cry:

but yeah sorry back to the topic, i still say the eg si preferby a hatch would be the best choice unless he gets a few more Gs for the EK vti-r...ill prob save a bit more and get the vti-r....

[[d a n n y]]
19-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Eg i got for Eg

hehe i love the shape

looks a bit more angry than EK

well to my taste only

anwayz

connorling
23-09-2007, 11:37 PM
i have to say EG, please have a look at the head light for EK, i think it is a bit...lot too big. i have seen some really nice looking EK, because they have a nice body kits, otherwise EG is very nice looking. i have a white EG with 17" rims on it, every one come by at my work like it, soneone even call it a white beast. but at the end of the day, it is up to u, interior is quite similar anyway.

steve88
24-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Convert Him To Ek!!! Join The Dark Side

1996ek1
24-09-2007, 01:39 AM
i have to say EG, please have a look at the head light for EK, i think it is a bit...lot too big. i have seen some really nice looking EK, because they have a nice body kits, otherwise EG is very nice looking. i have a white EG with 17" rims on it, every one come by at my work like it, soneone even call it a white beast. but at the end of the day, it is up to u, interior is quite similar anyway.

I'm pretty sure he's already decided, seeing this OP dates 16-9-2003 ?

aowwllan
24-09-2007, 02:47 AM
ek FTW buy RaySIR's one its hot look through the cars for sale section

1996ek1
24-09-2007, 11:05 AM
ek FTW buy RaySIR's one its hot look through the cars for sale section

Another one that can't read lol. Post is from 16-9-2003

bennjamin
24-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Another one that can't read lol. Post is from 16-9-2003

atleast he uses the search function i guess.

Closed.let it die.