PDA

View Full Version : Calling all airbag experts

ginganggooly
28-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Anyone have a good understanding of the SRS deployment systems in obd1/2 b-series hondas?

Basically wondering if the electrical system that ignites the charge has a polarity... any input?
There are two wires leading into the SRS unit and for reasons known only to them, Honda decided to make both the wires red. heh :confused:

ECU-MAN
29-12-2005, 01:11 PM
yes

so you dont play with them.

it is illigle to modify/repair or tap into the SRS loom

dont ever solder any of its wires. replace the loom if its damaged.

the air bag it self is like a globe, any polarity will set it off. its a fues that ignights the explosive charge in the airbag.

EG5[KRT]
29-12-2005, 05:31 PM
i thought if there is a polarity diff it would blow so if u have those wires together they wont blow but if u try and connect it to something it would blow ??

wynode
29-12-2005, 06:01 PM
']i thought if there is a polarity diff it would blow so if u have those wires together they wont blow but if u try and connect it to something it would blow ??
That didn't make any sense toe me LOL

but basically what ECU-MAN is trying to say is that the polarity doesn't matter.

ginganggooly
29-12-2005, 07:16 PM
it makes sense, i thought it was like a fuse...
now, cam-corder time. i wonder if this will be popping up as a funny video on the net :)

*kaboom*

ECU-MAN
29-12-2005, 07:17 PM
put it this way

it does not matter which way your connect a battery to an airbag. it will deploy and rip your head off.

ECU-MAN
29-12-2005, 07:21 PM
dude be carefull

please make sure the air bag is really secure if you plan on deplying it.

I have had to do this in the past. It was a real buzz. but I followed the work shop manual and wrapped up the airbag in some rims and tied them all together.

when I deployed it I got 1 meter of air :) I also used a remote detonator I made, for saftey

be carefull, airbags are classed as explosives

also do not deploy it in the car if its the passangers airbag. it will crack your windscreen.