PDA

View Full Version : Muffler question

dudeling7
29-12-2005, 05:42 PM
I am going to be getting a muffler soon and i was wondering if any of you can reccoment some good cannon exhausts. I will not be doing the cat back piping for now so just a good cannon will do.

I really dont want a farting buzzing noise, i heard the xforce twinloop and it sounds great just a little too quiet for me. How are xforce cannons like? Any one know good cannons that have a deep tone through the rev range and not killer loud?

I am not sure how to go with size of muffler too? the biggr the tip the more deep? the more farty? any hel woul be greatly appiciated. Thanks! :D

VT3C
29-12-2005, 06:41 PM
man have you ever actually HEARD an X-Force Twin loop ? they're prob the MOST farty muffler i've ever heard on a honda !!

basically if you get a 'thin' cannister it will be farty - get a 'fatter' walled canister and it SHOULD have more ability to muffle the sound. Larger diameter = deeper note.

Limbo
29-12-2005, 11:05 PM
if your after a canon all you have to look out for is if the canon is a solid construction. If you tap the exhaust the exhaust should have a solid sound to it. That way you will not have that cheap sounding canon. It depends on the metal they use. Try for a more solid one.

btw.. i've got one if your interested. 2.5" inlet 4" outlet. PM me if you want.

aimre
29-12-2005, 11:13 PM
egsi (jone of the traders 'underground imports') sells some nice soundin mufflers, im sure helll link it soon, im so lazy.

ACTI0NMAN-1
29-12-2005, 11:14 PM
you need to match your resonator chamber pipe to your exhaust, thats what helps to minimise, your exhaust noise, not just the muffler.

supersamEK
30-12-2005, 08:42 AM
i put a Drift 'Fatboy' muffler from autobarn on my stock civic piping and it sounds wicked. is not too loud and has great sound. is silent at idle and when under no load, but screams when revving. i love it and it looks the part too and was only $200. i recomend it.

aimre
30-12-2005, 02:07 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25396

travs lazy.

Put it this way, if i wasnt happy with it, i wouldnt be linking it

VT3C
30-12-2005, 04:14 PM
actually.. a good test is to pick up the muffler and YELL like a mofo through it.. mine cut out almost all my voice (and i'm LOUD).

mrwillz
30-12-2005, 04:29 PM
i've only got a axel back n a baby cannon tip is 3in
it was pretty solid n heavy for a muffler but it sounds ****
deeeeep growl

vtek
30-12-2005, 04:31 PM
if you want something that last and would not sound farty in time is a japanese brand exhaust such as

Trust
apexi
HKS
5 zigen

for a N/A you should go for something with an inlet of 2.5 inches. cut and paste the link below because there is one for sale. Its well priced for a quality muffler with a nice sound to it.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34486

dudeling7
30-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys. That 5 zigen mufler loks good. anyone used 5 zigen mufflers before that can comment on the exhaust note? I heard they are very loud.

VT3C
31-12-2005, 06:30 PM
if you want something that last and would not sound farty in time is a japanese brand exhaust such as

Trust
apexi
HKS
5 zigen

that's a bit naive yo.. I've seen a used ('good condition')JDM 5Zigen cat-back system that was the loudest and raspiest I've EVER heard !! hey Adri..

KB
31-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I had a farty N1 Muffler on my car until the exhaust tip blew off when i TAk'ed onto a FWY on-ramp. Now its this Bio-canister of death. Sounds good but looks like a Stainless steal anus.

VT3C is correct on the fact that the thicker the wall of the cannon and tip, the deeper the note.

Wrapping the cannon with Exhaust Header Wrap will deepen the tone too.

-KB

Limbo
01-01-2006, 11:53 PM
wrapping is not as good as getting one that is already thicker as the muffling is done inside.
I tried wrapping once, almost no difference. A good reasonator or two works better.
Also a sliencer is also good on a canon so that you can remove it for track days easliy

dudeling7
15-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Well i got my 5zigen muffler and is sounds great apart from one area. When reving between 2000-3000 rpm it sounds a little buzzy and diffrent to the rest of the rev range. What could this be? Will a hodog resonator help keepthis down and give an overall quieting and deeper note? BTW i have stock piping. Thanks

T-onedc2
15-01-2006, 07:44 AM
I've just fitted a Spoon Street silencer muffler (from JDMYard) and couldn't be happier with the top quality sound. Very quiet, has some bark as you open the throttle and volume doesn't increase at all really throughout the revs, no nasty sounds whatsoever. Deep sporty tone and looks classy. See my car specs for pic.

dudeling7
15-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Would a resonator or hotdog help quiten down a system and alo make it deeper?

Car is lookig real good T-onedc2 good work! :thumbsup:

T-onedc2
16-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Would a resonator or hotdog help quiten down a system and alo make it deeper?

Car is lookig real good T-onedc2 good work! :thumbsup:
Thanks mate!:D A resonator/hotdog will help eliminate raspiness or tinny sounds and lower the volume but it's well worth researching the qualities of a good muffler and getting the right advice, coz you really do get what you pay for.
If you get a straight through muffler like a cannon then you may want 2 resonators if they can be made to fit.

Farkis
16-01-2006, 06:05 PM
I know thread jumping but it still about mufflers.

Are there emissions laws on mufflers??
whats a good length and overall diameter if you've got 2.5" piping.

dudeling7
17-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Can i add a resonator to the stock piping to quiet it down more? i went to an exhasut shop and the guy told me my coupe has a stock resonator and an aftermarkter one wont be better....then i went to another shop and the guy said there is no stock resonator lol...do you guys know?

mj3610
17-01-2006, 11:29 AM
whatta u mean theres no stock resonator ofcourse theres a stock resonator on ur car if u havnt changed anything...
take my word and dont buy a cheap muffler, save ur money, pay $100 more and buy a good muffler, my mates got a catbak xforce on his and with a 4" tip and it sounds good and really loud, but go for somehting bigger like a 4.5" tip or something it'll look better :)
i think theres this guy on ebay that sells all xforce mufflers at cheap prices u might wanna have a look...

[[d a n n y]]
17-01-2006, 11:35 AM
whatta u mean theres no stock resonator ofcourse theres a stock resonator on ur car if u havnt changed anything...
take my word and dont buy a cheap muffler, save ur money, pay $100 more and buy a good muffler, my mates got a catbak xforce on his and with a 4" tip and it sounds good and really loud, but go for somehting bigger like a 4.5" tip or something it'll look better :)
i think theres this guy on ebay that sells all xforce mufflers at cheap prices u might wanna have a look...

dude u must have a hearing problem or sumthing
4" tip sounds good? lol..
4" tip is way to big for any honda.
and then u recon 4.5" tip will be better? lol
it does not sounds good trust me been there done that.

if u want a quiet power making exhast just get a JDM Jamsa exhast (Trust ) fujitsubo HKS etc
they make quiter streetable versions
or even a Spoon Street type muffler

Zdster
17-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Can i add a resonator to the stock piping to quiet it down more? i went to an exhasut shop and the guy told me my coupe has a stock resonator and an aftermarkter one wont be better....then i went to another shop and the guy said there is no stock resonator lol...do you guys know?

1. You should have a stock resonator (long hotdog shaped thing) if you havent changed anything.
2. You can always add another resonator while keeping your stock one (ie have to resonators).
3. You can replace your stock one with a longer aftermarket one to reduce sound levels.

My suggestion is ONLY deal with people who know what they are doing in this area. Even those classified as experts who do exhausts for a living can be bad. Make lots of enquiries as to who people suggest (if you are in vic. let me know and I can suggest someone) otherwise you can end up like my car with an expensive mess to fix.

mj3610
17-01-2006, 11:39 AM
]']dude u must have a hearing problem or sumthing
4" tip sounds good? lol..
4" tip is way to big for any honda.
and then u recon 4.5" tip will be better? lol
it does not sounds good trust me been there done that.

if u want a quiet power making exhast just get a JDM Jamsa exhast (Trust ) fujitsubo HKS etc
they make quiter streetable versions
or even a Spoon Street type muffler

??? watta u goin on about 4" tip doesnt sound good? its not too big for civics and yes i have heard it my mates car and it sounds good, but hes got a b18c7... if u get a muffler too small it'll sound like a tin can...

[[d a n n y]]
17-01-2006, 11:43 AM
??? watta u goin on about 4" tip doesnt sound good? its not too big for civics and yes i have heard it my mates car and it sounds good, but hes got a b18c7... if u get a muffler too small it'll sound like a tin can...

lol u define getting 120DB+ sounds good?
4" tip for a honda hm..
what's that look like a rice mobile.
B18c7 or what ever doesnt make a diff
if the tip is way bigger than the exhast exhast piping dimeter
then obviously the exhast notes going to get very very bassy.

i had a 4" tip on my car bloody pulled out 117db @ 4K rpm.
and then 142DB @ 8K rpm.
not a smart move mate.
and it sounds shit. well should i say sounds too artificial

mj3610
17-01-2006, 11:51 AM
]']lol u define getting 120DB+ sounds good?
4" tip for a honda hm..
what's that look like a rice mobile.
B18c7 or what ever doesnt make a diff
if the tip is way bigger than the exhast exhast piping dimeter
then obviously the exhast notes going to get very very bassy.

i had a 4" tip on my car bloody pulled out 117db @ 4K rpm.
and then 142DB @ 8K rpm.
not a smart move mate.
and it sounds shit. well should i say sounds too artificial
so then thats ur taste that u dont like loud, i've got a 4.5" tip hurricane muffler on my breeze and its not loud at all cause of the small engine and piping, but the note is really good people are often surprised how my car sounds.
but this guy mentioned xforce twinloop is a lil too quiet for him so i thought he likes loud...

rickyboy
17-01-2006, 12:14 PM
I've just fitted a Spoon Street silencer muffler (from JDMYard) and couldn't be happier with the top quality sound. Very quiet, has some bark as you open the throttle and volume doesn't increase at all really throughout the revs, no nasty sounds whatsoever. Deep sporty tone and looks classy. See my car specs for pic.

ive been looking out for a muffler similar to that ..

did you fit in onto your stock piping or what ? whats the inlet and outlet size ?

does look classyyy ! :thumbsup:

btw could you link the thread for the muffler ? thanks

Zdster
17-01-2006, 12:23 PM
did you fit in onto your stock piping or what ? whats the inlet and outlet size ?

All of that will depend on what car it is going on, the exhaust note you prefer, performance gains etc.

rickyboy
17-01-2006, 12:26 PM
so then thats ur taste that u dont like loud, i've got a 4.5" tip hurricane muffler on my breeze and its not loud at all cause of the small engine and piping, but the note is really good people are often surprised how my car sounds.
but this guy mentioned xforce twinloop is a lil too quiet for him so i thought he likes loud...

mate you're a tool,, danny here has a good logic point..

the legal sound emission from your exhaust is petty its like at 90dB in NSW can someone confirm ..

you'll be rewarded with a defect notice while your just going into maccas for lunch idling with 110dB. i give you no credit for a great sounding car, use common sense, loud car moving at 20kph GG :wave:

[[d a n n y]]
17-01-2006, 12:36 PM

the legal sound emission from your exhaust is petty its like at 90dB in NSW can someone confirm ..

you'll be rewarded with a defect notice while your just going into maccas for lunch idling with 110dB. i give you no credit for a great sounding car, use common sense, loud car moving at 20kph GG :wave:

thanks mate

u understood my point exactly

mj3610
17-01-2006, 01:32 PM

are u remedial or something? then what ur saying is everyone on this forum is a tool cause i dont suppose everone with a muffler here does less than 90db, has 35% tints, is higher than10cm off the ground, has a sub box secured to the boot and the list goes on, you'll also be rewarded with a nice defect while going down to the corner shop to buy bread...
just get the defect cleared up and go with whateva ur taste is and his first post sounded like he wanted something loud with a deep note so dont make a issue out of of sik kent...

[[d a n n y]]
17-01-2006, 01:41 PM
are u remedial or something? then what ur saying is everyone on this forum is a tool cause i dont suppose everone with a muffler here does less than 90db, has 35% tints, is higher than10cm off the ground, has a sub box secured to the boot and the list goes on, you'll also be rewarded with a nice defect while going down to the corner shop to buy bread...
just get the defect cleared up and go with whateva ur taste is and his first post sounded like he wanted something loud with a deep note so dont make a issue out of of sik kent...

lol wow settle down boy.
but i aint a tool
my cars got stockish exhast sits higher than 10cm off the ground and i have no sub box
and my tint is 25% :p

rickyboy
17-01-2006, 01:47 PM
lol lets not get off topic ..
danny i think i saw your GTR when we were ripping shit out of the banged up civic ..
i was getting the interior trim :D
guys his skyline sounds like it could tear up a cow while the turbo is spooling

HOW IRONIC (off topic)

his wanted a deep growl not a aeroplane for an exhaust

[[d a n n y]]
17-01-2006, 01:52 PM
lol lets not get off topic ..
danny i think i saw your GTR when we were ripping shit out of the banged up civic ..
i was getting the interior trim :D
guys his skyline sounds like it could tear up a cow while the turbo is spooling

HOW IRONIC (off topic)

his wanted a deep growl not a aeroplane for an exhaust
lol on a saturday ? lol
anywayz back to the topic
i can suggest few muffles that will give u bassy notes but not loud bassy notes.
try a magnaflow oval muffler or a E's muffler
u can check out benjamins car.
it's deep but not bassy.
also the muffler it self is pretty quiet.
but on open throttle it growls. :D

ZeForce
17-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey Im not sure if this is any help....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=349978878465807520&q=Best+Motoring
Jump to approximately 1 hour 18 mins and 30 secs
Its a sample of various mufflers....

T-onedc2
17-01-2006, 09:00 PM
ive been looking out for a muffler similar to that ..

does look classyyy ! :thumbsup:

btw could you link the thread for the muffler ? thanks
Yes it fit's directly onto stock piping, vtir and type r. The stock vtir muffler pipe is slightly smaller in diameter than the stock B pipe whereas the Spoon muffler pipe is identical to the B pipe and also mandrel bent. The flange with the 2 bolts is identical to the stock item and has no issues fitting. Sorry don't know measurements.
Here's some pics of the where the 2 pipes now meet.
I want to post a sound file when I figure out how!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Tykie/Integra120.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Tykie/Integra117.jpg

rickyboy
18-01-2006, 12:15 PM
www.putfile.com go here mate they host different sorts of stuff..
awaiting the sound file !!

btw what was the thread that sold this item ?

T-onedc2
18-01-2006, 06:11 PM
oh sorry here's the link http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34510Will post sound as soon as I get a chance, thanks.:)

T-onedc2
24-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey sorry I took so long, finally got a chance to record the muffler so here's the link. :D http://media.putfile.com/Spoon-Street-Muffler :D

rickyboy
25-01-2006, 03:17 PM
sounds beautiful mate .. thats an awesome muffler you got there :D

edit: noticed that youve got abit of water still in the muffler, thats not too good .. i thought that the angle cut would eliminate all that .. its gonna rust up and eat through if you're not careful ..

T-onedc2
25-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Cheers mate! Yeah I'd had it running for a five minutes before I turned it off to start the video, so it looked pretty bad. As soon as I drive down the road it all blows out or evaporates quickly so nothing to worry about unless I do very short trips.

leemo
03-10-2007, 10:38 PM
haha lol i put a 3.5inch cannon on mine with a 2 1/4 inch inlet and god it is louud so now im gonna upgrade to a high flow exhaust system soon it annoying

but hey that just me