PDA

View Full Version : Battery

STTICH
30-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Havent driven my car since christmas (just a few days), this morning when i went for a start up the next thing i find is i have a flat battery :(

so i went to several shops trying to find a replacement battery, but all the batteries tat suits a jazz (according to their list) have those 'yellowish caps' on top of the battery. the stock battery is a flat top which allow the stock plastic cover to go on top of it to secure it in place. but all the batteries tat i find available atm have caps..which i couldnt then use the plastic cover to secure the battery in place..wat can i do? :o

stock battery taken out:
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/886/a6gl.jpg

also ..at the bottom right of the battery it has a reading tat says when the circle turns white and red, 'charging nessecery' , does tat mean its rechargeble? so i can just charge it up without buying a new one?

mrwillz
30-12-2005, 05:58 PM
charge it up using a car battery charger n go for a drive round the block
i did that after a full flat battery n overnight charging... a few mths back.... batt is still fine..
all batts are rechargeable , correct me if im rong.

STTICH
30-12-2005, 06:04 PM
tat'll b good if the battery is rechargeable..can anyone confrim?

mrwillz..how long did the overnight charging go for?

|N|
30-12-2005, 06:14 PM
yup can be recharge ... my mate did taht.... he did it at a local mech... cost him $14

michael shan says ' eleyfing is a circle'

Zdster
30-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Not sure if all are rechargable, but have done it to my old mans car a few times. Not sure of exact time that it takes but have always just put it on 'overnight' and the next day just run the car for a good few km's to make sure everything is good.

A few links:
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43835/article.html
http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/carfaq.htm

Zdster
30-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-12V-CAR-JUMP-START-CHARGER-AIR-COMPRESSOR-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ4599909923QQcategoryZ29716QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

STTICH
30-12-2005, 06:23 PM
thanks all :)

one more thing..will the battery last long after its been recharged? this battery...it only lasted 1.5+ yrs..i thought they should last longer hehe.

string
30-12-2005, 07:04 PM
All batteries are rechargable. Otherwise, slowly over time from the starter and coil draining every startup, it would die all the time; Alternator gives it some juice while your driving to keep it full.

Certainly no need to buy a new battery when its flat. Would have been cheapest to find a friend with jumper cables, next would be buy a set yourself and find a friend, third would be buy a battery charger yourself, then finally if none of those are possible, buy a new battery.

Good times :)

mrwillz
30-12-2005, 07:18 PM
i used the battery charger
it indicated to me wen it was 'full'
but i left it a good 10-12hrs

i dun fink my battery has never been changed since new (2000 model)

STTICH
30-12-2005, 07:33 PM
thanks again...

string: i hav a jumper cable myself and another car, so jump starting the car is never a problem, which i already have. wat im concern wth is tat from my understanding, jump starting is just a temporary thing, the flat battery will still die out quite soon?

so this makes me thinking..a charger nowadays cost as much/more than/almost as much as a new battery, so should i just get a charger or get a battery?

since i like my current (flat top) battery, i really just wanna get a charger and charge it up..but then if the battery won last long, buying a new battery will be a better option?

Zdster
30-12-2005, 07:55 PM
thanks again...

string: i hav a jumper cable myself and another car, so jump starting the car is never a problem, which i already have. wat im concern wth is tat from my understanding, jump starting is just a temporary thing, the flat battery will still die out quite soon?

so this makes me thinking..a charger nowadays cost as much/more than/almost as much as a new battery, so should i just get a charger or get a battery?

since i like my current (flat top) battery, i really just wanna get a charger and charge it up..but then if the battery won last long, buying a new battery will be a better option?

As far as I know what you are saying is not a problem. Once you jump start the car and drive it for a while the alternater will recharge the battery back to full.

If you have a charger at home you can always recharge a flat battery, otherwise, whenever it is flat you need to buy a new battery. Just my thoughts.

mrwillz
30-12-2005, 08:16 PM
giv the battery at least another go...
mite of just been a one off going flat the battery shud last a good few more yrs

yes, jumping is temporary, jus for a spin like i sed n shud b fine.

STTICH
30-12-2005, 08:25 PM
cheers. :)

wat should i look for when buying a charger? 12v... and...?

mrwillz
30-12-2005, 09:30 PM
a gerneral 'car battery charger' will do fine...
one wif batt meter comes in handy, it checks the status.

STTICH
31-12-2005, 10:24 AM
i've charged up my battery, and took it out for a spin, everything seems fine now, but a strange thing i find, the battery indicator doesnt change to full...its still at the 'charging necessary' stage, but the charger indicates its full and will no longer charge anymore. is tat normal? :confused:

i will again put it to a test, not gonna start it up for a few days.. and see if it'll start up later :p

aaronng
31-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Wanted to add that your battery is a "flat top" because it is maintainence free. You don't have to add water to it, while those that you can buy at the shop with the yellow caps have to have their water level checked every month.

Your battery should last over 3 years without abuse. Abuse meaning that the battery is almost flat and then driven around. What happens is that when the battery is flat, the lead and sulphuric acid is converted to lead sulphate, which is brittle. Once it breaks off the plates and falls to the bottom of the battery, that amount is lost forever! If you have the lead sulphate still on the plate, then when you recharge, it is turned back to lead (which stays on the plates) and sulphuric acid in the battery water and all is good. :)

Do you have an aftermarket amp setup? If not wired properly, those things will consume electricity even when the headunit is off. With my stock audio setup, I've left my car in the garage for 1 month (about 30 days) and it still started as normal when I got back.

Edit: battery is flat, not the engine :p

STTICH
31-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Your battery should last over 3 years without abuse. Abuse meaning that the engine is almost flat and then driven around. What happens is that when the engine is flat, the lead and sulphuric acid is converted to lead sulphate, which is brittle. Once it breaks off the plates and falls to the bottom of the battery, that amount is lost forever! If you have the lead sulphate still on the plate, then when you recharge, it is turned back to lead (which stays on the plates) and sulphuric acid in the battery water and all is good. :)

i don have any aftermarket amps..im even using the stock HU, nothing really tat i can think of tat will drain the battery.

and wat do u mean by 'engine is flat'?

and how do i know tat i'll still have the lead sulphate still on the plate?

thanks. :)

mrwillz
31-12-2005, 03:28 PM
engine flat???

all the best if the battery comes thru ok which i think it shud after charging.
its gettin REAL technical now asking about the lead sulphate still on the plate

aaronng
31-12-2005, 04:22 PM
i don have any aftermarket amps..im even using the stock HU, nothing really tat i can think of tat will drain the battery.

and wat do u mean by 'engine is flat'?

and how do i know tat i'll still have the lead sulphate still on the plate?

thanks. :)
WHOOOPS! I meant battery is flat. :) Check if any of your lights are left on as well.

The lead sulphate will break off if you go over a pothole or a bump. Basically you shake it loose. Your alternator should recharge your battery while you are driving to prevent the formation of a significant amount of lead sulphate. If you find that your battery still goes flat with driving every 2 days or so, then I'd say check your alternator (hope you're under warranty)

Unfortunately, you can't really find out if the lead sulphate broke off and is at the bottom of your battery because the lead plates are arranged very closely together. You can't see it from the top, and the battery case is not clear enough, so you can't see inside from the sides.

STTICH
31-12-2005, 05:25 PM
this is getting abit technical for just having a flat battery :p

however its good to know more. :) Im not sure if i hav been driving wth an almost flat battery or not because recently the car has been driven almost everyday, its only this once tat i left the car undriven after christmas.

also, will having a bumpy/firm sussy make it much more easier for the lead sulphate to fall off?

and if it was the alternator, wat other symptoms would i hav noticed besides from the flat battery?

STTICH
31-12-2005, 05:39 PM
also... wth the battery indicator, after its been recharged, should it turn from white (charging necessary) back to blue (ok) ??

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1926/dsc035075aq.jpg

aaronng
31-12-2005, 07:10 PM
If you are going over potholes or fast speedbumps, suspension won't make much of a difference. But for normal lousy roads, stiff suspension will make it worse. And yes, it should change back to blue and red in the indicator. What colour is it now? Follow the instructions in that pic you posted.

STTICH
31-12-2005, 07:14 PM
it is still at the white stage after recharged, like how it was b4 rechaged.

i had it charged over night, kept monitoring until i go to sleep. started charging when it was white..after 5 hrs, still white..

then this morning, the charger indicated its full, but the battery indicator is still white. :o

and like i said..the charger won charge any further, so i installed it back, and took the car for a spin.

aaronng
31-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Did you check the water level?
How often has your battery been run flat? Could be that most of the lead sulphate is at the bottom of the battery.

STTICH
01-01-2006, 12:53 AM
its the first time it has gone flat since new, since i bought the car 1.5+ yrs ago.

the water level is between the upper and lower level, its not over and its not less, so it seems bout right there.

Zimp13
01-01-2006, 11:57 PM
i ll get a battery starter rather than a battery charger.... if flat, just use the battery starter to start the car... after a few trips, battery is full.... battery charger takes too long and u cant bring it anywhere (u need power point)... u charge up the battery starter and it acts as an extra battery that u can carry out and use it when in need

aaronng
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
its the first time it has gone flat since new, since i bought the car 1.5+ yrs ago.

the water level is between the upper and lower level, its not over and its not less, so it seems bout right there.
Hmm, the only thing I can suggest now is to drive around to let it charge. Hopefully you do drive at least once a day. And after a few days of driving, check the indicator again to see what it shows.

mrwillz
02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
i ll get a battery starter rather than a battery charger.... if flat, just use the battery starter to start the car... after a few trips, battery is full.... battery charger takes too long and u cant bring it anywhere (u need power point)... u charge up the battery starter and it acts as an extra battery that u can carry out and use it when in need

its a fairly new car, to start carrying around a battery starter is gettin ridiculous for a late model car. besides if it does die THAT OFTEN to need a battery starter around u wud b thinking of getting a serious check up on a late model car.

STTICH
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
started up the car today and it was fine ..woot~ :)

havent started the car for 3 days since it was recharged up, so its good to know tat it's fine now.. only thing is..the battery indicator still shows the 'charging necessary' symbol. :o ???

Zdster
03-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Have you put an km's on it yet?

STTICH
03-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Have you put an km's on it yet?

u mean hav i driven it?

civiceg9
03-01-2006, 06:19 PM
I have a new battery used for a few months
but it has been sitting for 2yrs
u think I can still use it?

Zdster
03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
u mean hav i driven it?

Yeah. How many km's did you put on it after start up? Just thinking that the light might go away over time after the battery gets a full charge from the alternator.

STTICH
03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
true i do hope so ..so i'll b checking constantly.

i went to and fro the whole eastern fwy. from springy rd to city and back.

vividjazz
03-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Battery will charge as long as some of the cells haven't died. Had 2 dead cells on my last cars battery when it went flat so pretty much had to buy a new battery.

When the NRMA came out they did volt and cell tests, can supply a replacement battery on the spot if needed and of course carry a jumper kit to get you started. I'm not under 21 but membership is completely FREE if you are under 21.
http://www.mynrma.com.au/free/freemembership.asp

I assume other states motoring bodies have similar offers.

Zimp13
05-01-2006, 04:08 AM
its a fairly new car, to start carrying around a battery starter is gettin ridiculous for a late model car. besides if it does die THAT OFTEN to need a battery starter around u wud b thinking of getting a serious check up on a late model car.

wat i mean is put it in the car for a few days when the battery is still weak just in case the battery flat again, not carry around a battery starter with all the time man.... dun tell me battery charger is more efficient and convenient than battery starter? if the battery does die THAT OFTEN both battery charger and starter would b useless anyway........:rolleyes:

STTICH
27-05-2006, 03:15 PM
alright. the batt charger has served me fine back in Dec and recent months..batt just keeps dying after not driving for few days.

and i still hav no luck finding a suitable batt tat has no caps (flat top). most of the flat top is simply not compatible wth the the +/- adapters for jazz.

my question now. is it save to upgrade a recommended 305CCA 48RC to a 360~370CCA 60RC batt? doing this, i will hav to change the adapters to larger size as well.

cheers!

bOoStn
27-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Why dont you go to your local Honda dealer, and buy one from their spare parts?

STTICH
27-05-2006, 08:53 PM
^^ my exact intention. getting quotes atm.

just not sure wat sort of battery they'll provide. keeping in mind that the factory batt came wth the car is an imported model. will dealers provide imported batt? or just simply supply local batt tats compatible (which in this case,most of them hav caps) ?

destrukshn
28-05-2006, 02:49 AM
they won't supply you with a import battery, it's just what they have used from factory.
They will supply you with a ACDELCO battery, which is honda tagged, a really good battery in this case i should say, and i'm quite sure it'll be a 400cca if not a bit more than that, and is also better than the batteries that came from factory.
they are maintenance free batteries, so they do not have those yellow caps, and are flat-top type.
they do come with a 1 year warranty!
rrp is about 110 or something like that.
you can always get a ACDELCO battery that is not honda branded, same thing, and cheaper as well.
another battery i may recommend is the SUPERCHARGE GOLD SERIES, they have a higher cca than the acdelco, and have a 3 year warranty! and i'm quite positive they have one that fits the jazz, as i've seen em in it before. it's around the same price as the ACDELCO batteries.

TRU32U
28-05-2006, 06:50 AM
most batts are rechargeable
onli dry cells arnt rechargable

RMN15N
06-06-2006, 05:35 PM
hey if your battery just died outta no where it is possible it isnt your batt
it could be alternator or starter motor. i had a flat battery prob.. i went to get a new batt turned out my alternator was stuffed.. so i replaced that after awhile my bat was flat again i was pretty pissed off.. turned out my start motor was loose to so we just screwd it down and away we go .

bOoStn
06-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Get whoever replaces it to do a voltage test when they replace the battery

drew41823
18-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Guys, I got honda jazz and I didn't use it for 5 days and didnt warm it up. Now the battery got flat, try to jumper up and didnt work.
Need suggestion, better buy a new battery or buy the battery starter or buy the battery charger?

And if need to replace the battery, do I have to reset the CVT?

TA