PDA

View Full Version : TURBO OR ENGINE CONVERSION!!!!

raff
01-04-2004, 06:56 PM
hey all!

i seriesly dunno wat todo!
i got a EG VTi hatch............
should i turbo my d16 sohc vtec? or should i drop a b18 dohc vtec in it?what would have the best gains?
what would be better for everyday use?
which is cheaper?
which is more effective?

thanx fella's

vti-2
01-04-2004, 07:46 PM
I thought you were selling it.

CAT_SPEW
01-04-2004, 07:47 PM
My opinion, go for the turbo. Either go the same root as Weq and get a GReddy kit, then add extras for around $2500 or somthing I think.
OR
Go custom, this way you will get exactly what you are after, whether it is high boost with big power, or low end pwoer etc. Bu will msot likely cost you more.

I think someone on here got a B18C1 conversion, drive in drive out for around $7000, although it would a be alot cheaper if you did it yourself.

GL.

raff
01-04-2004, 07:58 PM
will loose out a fair bit if i sell it..........so i will most prob keep it unless i get offered wat i want!

raff
01-04-2004, 07:59 PM
so wat am i loking at drive-away for a turbo

vti-2
01-04-2004, 08:04 PM
so wat am i loking at drive-away for a turbo

What are your goals?

raff
01-04-2004, 08:10 PM
i want a fair bit of power.....around 130-150 kw

and a very fast street car so needs to b quik in street drags!

but still a reliable everyday car!

vti-2
01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
i want a fair bit of power.....around 130-150 kw

and a very fast street car so needs to b quik in street drags!

but still a reliable everyday car!

You might get away with not modifying the internals (rods etc) to cope with the boost. If that is the case, be prepared to pay anywhere over $9k for a turbo conversion. If you just want something quick on the street then don't touch the internals. Run about 8psi and you will be more than happy. By doing that you will have doubled the power you started with.

Or you can go all out and have a very very fast street car. Something closer to 200kw at the wheels. But that is going to cost a lot more.

raff
01-04-2004, 08:22 PM
nah i dun wanna spend that much bro!!

how much am i looking at for a quick street car......mayb an AVO kit is sufficient?? r they any good?

how much do i need to spend for around 130kw @ wheels

VTEC16
01-04-2004, 10:42 PM
Do a B16/18 conversion....your car will be more reliable and overall better.

b16a_integra
01-04-2004, 11:04 PM
if you do turbo conversion youll get alot more torque, but id go the b18c or even better do a b20vtec (CRVTEC) there a car for sale at the moment on performance forums in melb it a ek with 160fwkw. dats huge, but has had a lot of work done. i cant put a link cause its in their for sale section and you gotta be a member for 3months to access it. but ill post it after this post the details of it. :)

b16a_integra
01-04-2004, 11:05 PM
2.0L VTEC Turbo Civic
The car will be going on sale late this week, just waiting on images. It's a silver 1998 VTIR hatch with Stage 3 AVO turbo kit and B20B CRVTEC conversion. This car has out accelerated WRXs/R33/R34/etc with 160fwkw and 235% extra torque over standard. Next to no torque steer and practically zero turbo lag. It's a complete sleeper with no external mods - even the front mount intercooler is painted black and hard to see.

Some of the mods include (complete list coming later when I dig up the receipts):

- B16A head with B20B bottom end (CRVTEC conversion)
- Full Link ECU
- Garrett GT28r b/b
- Turbosmart dual stage boost controller
- Black stealth AVO front mount intercooler
- 550CC Injectors (just the right size so no lag)
- Heavy duty clutch by PBC (feels nice and light exactly like standard)
- 3" mandrel bent exhaust with titanium cat and two resonators (this resulted in a low noise system that sounds deep and tough, unlike a raspy rice burner)
- AVO BOV (currently tuned to be quiet unless accelerating strongly)
- Front semi slicks (Falken Azenis)
- All VTiR features (A/C, P/S, trim, dual airbags, SUNROOF, etc)
- Hotbits fully adjustable coilovers
- Rear Whiteline sway bar (also has a front bar standard)
- Body and interior in excellent condition
- JVC motorised head unit, front Kicker 6.5" splits, rear JL Audio 6x9s. sub and 5chan amp.
- Approx 95,000kms. B20B bottom end had around 25,000kms.
- Recently sercived with new brakes, tyres, plugs etc. Service every 5,000kms with books.
- All work done by quality workshops (AVO, Muffler Man, Evo-R)

The car has so far had $14-16k in performance mods alone (with receipts). I didn't cut costs on quality and always made sure I got the best quality parts available (eg $650 titanium front cat). The car cost $23k a year ago. I don't expect to get much money back and will only be looking for around $26k.

Car is perfectly tuned and in great condition. It's a perfect daily driver, with next to no turbo lag, torque steer, and a smooth light clutch. Exhaust and BOV are low noise and the torque curve is linear and managable. Max boost and torque is there at 3000rpm and continues all the way to 7000rpm. It feels like factory.

Insurable by Just Cars Insurance ($1600 for 25 year old, no rating)

The 'sleeper' aspect not only surprises the hell out of other drivers, but also means you don't get any unwanted attention from police/hoons/thieves. Reason for selling is that I know I'm going to lose my licence sooner or later with this car. So I'm switching to a slow luxury car that can't speed (eg IS200).

Pics coming later in the week.

(For the legitimacy of this sale and verification as to the car's top condition feel free to call AVO)

pls email me at ooi8@iprimus.com.au

b16a_integra
01-04-2004, 11:06 PM
i have some pics of the car in my email, the car looks like your ordinary everyday ek civic, with an exhaust. as it says the ultimate sleeper, after seeing the pics it definately is.

wynode
01-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Guys i'm sorry but I just accidentally deleted a couple of posts from this thread *OOPS!*

raff
01-04-2004, 11:24 PM
FROM GEELONG LIKE ME

THAT CAR IS FUKN AMAZING NO SHIT

I SEEN DYNO CHART AND IT IS OVER 160KW @ WHEELS

AND BEEN IN IT AND ALL I CAN SAY IS UNBELIEVABLE..........

WORTH EVERY CENT

incoming
01-04-2004, 11:33 PM
do the engine conversion... then get turbo!!!! hehe

i'd go turbo... love the sound of turbo winding up!

skoota
01-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Yeh I've seen another one on carsales. Been there for ages - looks pretty bloody schmick. Black '98 VTi-R with B20 in it. Can't remember the specs but its pretty special - reckons it own a WRX anytime no matter how shit you run. That ones in South Melbourne.

Back to the point of this thread - I'd go the B18C for sure. Hell I'd do it in a heart beat in my EK if i had the $$$ :D

kleenex
02-04-2004, 12:11 AM
i thought it wasnt reliable turboing B20's :roll:

??

raff
02-04-2004, 10:32 AM
it is if its done properly

Krim
02-04-2004, 01:56 PM
Pics of the sleeper civic plz :P

Jus-10
02-04-2004, 03:06 PM
160kw from a turbo Frankenstein engine is pretty average if you ask me. I know dyno figures aren't the be-all and end-all but my mates turbo 20v corolla consistantly puts out around 170fwkw on various dynos on a completely stock engine with a T28 at 9psi.

This car must be running very little boost at all (especially if he hasn't rebuilt the B20 block) if he has virtually no torque steer....any fwd with 160kw at the wheels is gonna have some pretty serious torque steer, especially if it's turbo....

But anyways.....what do you want? High-revving N/A or turbo power? Only you really know what style of engine you want.

Whilst you are almost always going to get great bang for your buck going turbo, for me you can't go past a screaming N/A Honda motor.

Nuttz
04-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Id got the b18c. The turbo engine u gonna start having to do oil changes every 3000k, keep an eye on engine to make sure nothing blows up, and if you make decent power your gonna need a new gearbox somewhere in the future.

with b18c its a stock engine.. so everything is gonna run like its designed, no need to worry about blowing up your engine! so you can beat the shit out of the engine knowing that it can take it :)