PDA

View Full Version : Lowering by only 1 inch?

GreekWarrior
02-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Is it worth lowering my integra by 1 inch?

Heres my car:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/4858/phot00251cf8sf.jpg

Because I want to put these spoon springs but as I've heard it only lowers your car by 1 inch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hondar/spoon/spring/dc2/spoonspringdc22.jpg

I want to lower it but I don't want it too low and I don't want to lose the handling by putting in crap springs. Your thoughts?

bennjamin
02-01-2006, 09:22 PM
afaik spoon springs lower your car more than one inch...closer to 1.5 or so.
Anyway , decent springs.

vti-2
02-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Is it worth lowering my integra by 1 inch?

I want to lower it but I don't want it too low and I don't want to lose the handling by putting in crap springs. Your thoughts?

Yes it is worth it if you want a better handling car. But only if you do it right. Theres no point in just putting in lower springs, even if they are Spoon. You should look at upgrading your standard shocks as well.

SKREMN
02-01-2006, 09:38 PM
if you not happy with the springs get those recompressed
they can change the hight of them and keep the same ride feel

GreekWarrior
02-01-2006, 09:43 PM
afaik spoon springs lower your car more than one inch...closer to 1.5 or so.
Anyway , decent springs.

1.5 hey? not too bad, yeah I'm gona change shocks if i lower it cause like i said i want to keep the handling.

thanks guys. :thumbsup:

vti-2
02-01-2006, 09:48 PM
No problems. And by the way, whatever you do dont 'recompress' the springs. lol!

crispy
02-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do they recompress springs? if it involves heating and compressing, then wouldnt that technically make them unroadworthy?

T-onedc2
02-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I think the Spoon spring pictured are the progressives for DC2R and actually lower it a further 40mm or so (from DC2R height) and are designed to work well with DC2R shocks, if you choose this path you will need LCA's to make them fit. See my car specs for vtir with itr suspension, rear not much lower but front much lower than stock, I highly recommend it.:)

locote
02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
i got recompressed stock springs ( i didnt do it) and the sides are different height.
scrape my exhaust at every speed bump

GreekWarrior
02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
I think the Spoon spring pictured are the progressives for DC2R and actually lower it a further 40mm or so (from DC2R height) and are designed to work well with DC2R shocks, if you choose this path you will need LCA's to make them fit. See my car specs for vtir with itr suspension, rear not much lower but front much lower than stock, I highly recommend it.:)

What are LCA's?

bennjamin
02-01-2006, 11:06 PM
What are LCA's?

LCA = Lower Control Arm ( he refers to the rear LCA's)

bungsai
02-01-2006, 11:46 PM
you aint gunna need a new lca if u are just changing the spring.

Dude i suggest that if you are going to get springs and struts to wait, and then go with coilovers, i love the adjustability on mine...i can dial it up or down to suit my perfect height, as well as damper adjustment + handling is 10X better

GreekWarrior
03-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I'd love to get coilovers but price wise I don't know.......

How much would a decent set of coilovers be?

Domokun SPL
03-01-2006, 08:49 PM
PLEASE, only lower your car 1inch at most :)

I like the sensible people in the crowd. I had an arguement with a friend with a 200sx on the weekend that a lower car WONT handle better just because it has a lower centre of gravity. GEOMETRY PEOPLE :)

Anyway, 1 inch is perfect for your car. Progressives...well..... its up to you, I prefer linears.

Resetting springs involves heating the spring up, and compressing it to the desired height. You can lower a car with the "blow torch method". Take a stock spring, get a big clamp/weight on top of spring, then blow torch the spring... it will get shorter/sag.... LOWERED :)......please dont actually ever do that. Ive seen it done to a car...it handled like balls on glass.

rodericb
05-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Would look good dropped one inch I think. I am thinking to do the same to my GSi too. If anything to stiffen the springs slightly (handling) and fill out the guards (looks). They look a bit four-wheel-drive in standard spec - not too sporty looking. I prefer to keep it more standard looking to it looks "factory fitted trick", not obviously modded afterwards. Can you post some pics after you've got the new springs in?

GreekWarrior
05-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Would look good dropped one inch I think. I am thinking to do the same to my GSi too. If anything to stiffen the springs slightly (handling) and fill out the guards (looks). They look a bit four-wheel-drive in standard spec - not too sporty looking. I prefer to keep it more standard looking to it looks "factory fitted trick", not obviously modded afterwards. Can you post some pics after you've got the new springs in?

Sure bro. :thumbsup:

Thanks for our advice guys. :)

Boy_Integra
05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
I've got a 91 integra and i only dropped 1 1/2 inches only cos i still wanted to keep my handling plus complises with rta laws you can still see its been lowered.. But mates all say whats the use of dropping it only 1 1/2 inches? But their the ones getting hassled by the police lol :p

bentypes
09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
apparently lowering by a max of 35mm is still sutible for factory shocks and will improve handling

Domokun SPL
15-01-2006, 09:32 PM
Dont go too low, not worth it. Handles like poo, scrapes on everything, camber wear etc.

If you want to be low to show off, get some air suspension. Its either look OK and handle well, or handle OK and look cool.

GreekWarrior
15-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Dont go too low, not worth it. Handles like poo, scrapes on everything, camber wear etc.

If you want to be low to show off, get some air suspension. Its either look OK and handle well, or handle OK and look cool.

Can't it handle well AND look cool? :D

Domokun SPL
15-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Indeed it can, but what is a definition of looking cool? I like a car that is only lowered so that the tyres fill the wheel gaurds, not so they tuck inside like some people like. On most cars a 1inch-1.5inch drop will cause the car to sit very nicely and not mess things up too hard.

I find that many honda people, not to bag, but like their cars REALLLY REALLLLLLLLY low, which IMHO is just over the top. Each to their own.

Its like manufacturers, they COULD make cars handle better by using stiffer springrates/swaybars etc, they need to balance performance with comfort, as 99% of people buying any car (except PURE sports car, read lambo, rarri etc) really want something just to get a to b and still feel good... so its a fine balance. Just like performance vs coolness :)

Enjoy