PDA

View Full Version : HI,can i lower the back of car more than front

integraboy22
03-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi ,i'm new to this forum, I have a integra ,i lowered my car 2 inches all around , however the back of the car doesn't look low enough, just wondering if i can keep the front with 2 inches and lower the back a bit more (maybe half a inch or something like that) , will that harm the handling or anything ,any cooments will be appreciated, thanks :)

bennjamin
03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
a natural stance seems to be with the front a touch lower than the rear. Im sure this follows thru amoungst all other design factors to keeping handling as neutral as possible ~ but having the rear significantly lower than the front would IMO do no good. The car will squat in the rear harder than usual under accelleration and play around with the dynamics...wait until a engineer for a proper indepth reply lol.

Altho if u are just after a slight "even" all around then a tiny bit lower at the rear should be too harsh. Depends on what springs and shocks you intend to use really

Domokun SPL
03-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, there is a natural balance front and back. If the car naturally sits lower in the front...maybe the car is telling you something.

If the springs are new, then thats just the way the car wants to be...let it be :)

IMHO, rear lower then the front looks bad and probably will unbalance the car.

type one
03-01-2006, 08:53 PM
just do about 100 back to back hard launches and the rear will sit quite a bit lower than the front :)

ATSE
03-01-2006, 09:33 PM
I've noticed this on my car and also other cars. I guess coilovers are the best way to get an even drop.

danish
04-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I think integras are higher at the back from the factory aren't they??

I've been told that when lowering a car you should first measure from the centre of the wheel to the guard front & rear, record the difference and make sure it is the same after you've lowered the car. Best way to keep the balance of the car the same i guess.

Lowering the back more than the rear would have to effect the handling to some degree, although i have no idea how much. Or if you would even be able to notice until you were really pushing hard.

ek4-guy
04-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Im not sure about other brands or other cars but king springs when brought as a set lower the back more than the front on my civic . makes it sit level u dint ask for 2 inche lower all round did you. maybe ring king springs an find out mutch lower their back springs are over their front ones . then get back ones made 2 inches plus that difference lower

ctn
04-01-2006, 06:11 PM
On a fwd car, you want to make the front lower than the rear.

saleeb
06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
when u launch naturally u get weight transfer to the rear, causing less grip on front tires. If the front sits lower than the rear ud get less weight transfer under accelleration therefore better launches. Thats why i thought most fwd cars have the front lower than rear.

not sure about the following bit but if ur lowering a car wouldn't that reduce weight transfer? if so u could lower the back by a bit without noticing it.

if u just want the look u can just lower the back, if u want handling id keep it the same though.

aozora
07-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Raised height at the front will naturally bring about more weight load onto the rears and vice versa. If you have neutral height then it will just retain the car's normal weight distribution over the front and rear wheels. But then you have to factor in spring rate... all cars will put a certain amount of preload on springs depending on the weight.
With all this in mind with weight transfer if you have super high spring rates at the rear for example, there is going to be very little weight transfer to the rear and thus very little geometry change in the alignment under acceleration/decceleration (camber, toe, possibly "castor" if 4ws and turning...). But if you have soft spring rates on the rear, it will squat more and depending on the strut type, camber in (negative) and naturally ever so slightly toe in (I think?). If your alignment has been corrected fine AFTER putting in the springs then I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you've really dumped it...

But as others have said, before installing springs and sometimes for warranty purposes you are meant to measure the hub centre to guard height at all four wheels. This is to make sure the drop is as intended, as even manufacturers may have bad batches or quality control issues. Also in some cases to determine whether you had sagging springs or bent chassis issues...

Lastly do factor in that you have to let the springs settle in. After you install them, they will lower slightly after another 1000kms I think it is. So just keep that in mind... I hope my verbal diarrhoea made sense :p

smoknhothonda
07-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Depending on the car, but a lot of FWD race cars are set up lower at the rear then the front, and especially the old GTi cup cars, they found that having the rear lower, resulted in lower lap times...

If your springs are somethings along the lines of Teins, Whiteline's, Eibachs Im sure they are meant to be, but if you have chopped springs, 2 x 15 inch subs with a huge enclosure,that may be a reason for concern!

IMO having the rear lower then the front looks better!

Limbo
07-01-2006, 10:51 PM
The front is lower so that when you launch you don't lift the front and cause a loss of traction especially in a FWD.

saxman
08-01-2006, 10:03 AM
you guys do realize that most cars have larger rear wheel openings than front, so having more wheel gap in the rear doesn't actually mean the front is lower... right?

bennjamin
08-01-2006, 10:04 AM
you guys do realize that most cars have larger rear wheel openings than front, so having more wheel gap in the rear doesn't actually mean the front is lower... right?

i dont think they do ~ but my thoughts are this "back lower than front" is based relative to the "gap" from the guard. (IE 1 finger or 2 fingers etc etc).

civiceg9
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
just put your amp and sub-woofer at the back
this will lower the car abit. :D