PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak.. from where?

Dxs
03-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Just got under my car today and see a bit of oil on the sump and under the car. Was just wondering if anyone could figure out where it may be coming from. I have an EF8 (b16a crx) and the importer slightly overfilled the oil, i cant see any leaks from the block or anything, my guess would be from the sump gasket or the sump plug.. but it all looks oily, not one real area.

I am gonna just clean it up and do the change and see if it reappears but was just wondering if anyone could work it out. I also hear crx's have leaky steering racks or whatever.. the liquid was brown and felt like oil.. anyway on with the pics:

http://home.iprimus.com.au/suban/dxs/leaky1.jpg

http://home.iprimus.com.au/suban/dxs/leaky2.jpg
it is only on the one side, like the sway bar mount is passenger side..

ideas?
cheers

SKREMN
03-01-2006, 05:28 PM
clean it all out and then watch where it comes from again
also watch the floor and then match it up with the car

bennjamin
03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
rear main seal ? ( located on teh block , right infront of the flywheel)
Oil filter not tight ?
Maybe its the PS rack or lines too...

Dxs
03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
oh well,
gave it a nice oil changed and cleaned it up a bit..

will check again in the future and see if it reappears..
i am hoping it may have just been the sump plug being loose or maybe someone got oil everywhere when removing the previous filter :/

crispy
03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
second pic could possibly be from a previous or current torn CV boot, hense all the grease has splattered everywhere. I had this when my cv boot tore open.. otherwise just like everyone else has said, monitor it and wait for the leak to show up... HTH

wynode
04-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Sure its engine oil and not PS fluid or grease? Kinda hard to say with them pics.

I had oil dripping down the side of my block which was the cam seal (timing belt side) but I don't think that's it in your case based on the pics.

atmoek
04-01-2006, 07:47 PM
the best way to find out where it is coming from give the engine a good clean down and go for a god drive come backand check under and see if you can see where it is comin from. im a mechanic and thats how we do it. it seems the best way