PDA

View Full Version : 2year car in storage

civiceg9
04-01-2006, 12:20 AM
ok my friend have left his 2002 model car in garage for 2yr.
now he want to start it up, after we get a new battery.
so what should I take pre-caution of?
Would it be a good idea to do all fluid change, radiator, engine oil etc first
or do it after the start up? anything things else I need to know?

I wonder if it will start:p

accordingly flash
04-01-2006, 06:55 AM
i would definatley change the oil,fuel and water..

wynode
04-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah i'd do oil, coolant, fuel and battery. Inspect the spark plugs but the rest should be ok.

Oh and new battery too most probably!

civiceg9
04-01-2006, 10:50 AM
looks like alot of work.
is the fuel still usable? or is it conteminated with water and other stuff?
because I don't have a bucket to hold 40litres of it

fly_vti
04-01-2006, 10:55 AM
looks like alot of work.
is the fuel still usable? or is it conteminated with water and other stuff?
because I don't have a bucket to hold 40litres of it

i think what was said before is a must get a full service with ALL fluids changed! change the spark plugs. and get 98 octane fuel and fill it up. (this will help clean the fuel injectors a little and help bring life back to the old fuel inside) or you can always syphon the fuel out. once the car has started i suggest you let it run for atleast 1 hr so it get grease itself up again and pump all the new fluids through, dont be suprised if u see smoke, its probaly condesation or build up fluids burning up. also change the battery.

SiReal
04-01-2006, 10:56 AM
maybe u should get it towed down to your service mechanic and have them do it all for you. it will save u any mistakes (hopefully) and all liabilities in workmanship should be witht he mecahnic, not yourself. better get it done correctly, first time. just bring a jerry can of petrol and everything else that u want to supply yourself. good luck with it. ja.

wynode
04-01-2006, 11:02 AM
My main issue would be the fuel though. I'd try and get that replaced with new fuel as quick as possible.

civiceg9
04-01-2006, 12:18 PM
ok thanks guys, I can do the all the fluid and spark plug changes.
just getting the fuel out is a problem.

fly_vti
04-01-2006, 12:24 PM
ok thanks guys, I can do the all the fluid and spark plug changes.
just getting the fuel out is a problem.

you dont really need to get the fuel out man. like i said before 'get 98 octane fuel and fill it up. (this will help clean the fuel injectors a little and help bring life back to the old fuel inside) '

put as much 98 octane fuel in you tank brim full, this will blend in with the old fuel and bring it back to life. also raising previos octane levels. :D

eg: if you have quarter tank full, fill up the remainder with 98 octane to the brim and you will have 80% 98 octane fuel in.

the 98 octane is designed for better fuel emmissions and easier burns. this helps clean your engine and will give it more response and peformance. for an engine that hasnt been run in a while. its exactly what it needs! as your injectors might be clogged a little. :o

the fuel should be good to go after you have done this. just make sure you run the car for atleast 1/2 hrs gently. no pushing around. let it come to itself :thumbsup:

there are also other small products on the market that help you clean your injectors/ engine check out your locol automotive super store and ask around. :rolleyes:

p.s dont forget to change the brake fluid and power steering fluids. :wave: :thumbsup:

wynode
04-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Yeah but if he has a full tank of the old fuel he might have to siffen out some of the old fuel!

But be careful.......VERY careful what you sifen it out with. Just a bit of static to create a spark and BOOM! Make sure you ground what ever you are using to siffen it out with properly (esp if using a metal nozzle.

krasyvy
04-01-2006, 01:45 PM
just use one of those plastic pump things man, safest bet - u'll only need to siffen half a tank or so anyway

SKREMN
04-01-2006, 05:22 PM
also after you change the oil water and so on
depending on what car it is disconnect to power to the dizzy or the coil lead what ever it has and is easy
and keep cranking the car till the oil light goes off
it will take a while to pump the oil in to it all again

fly_vti
04-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah but if he has a full tank of the old fuel he might have to siffen out some of the old fuel!

But be careful.......VERY careful what you sifen it out with. Just a bit of static to create a spark and BOOM! Make sure you ground what ever you are using to siffen it out with properly (esp if using a metal nozzle.

yes thats true, just sifen out whatever you can as much as you can. make sure you do it safe, its either that or just follow my advice AT YOUR OWN RISK!

bennjamin
04-01-2006, 06:18 PM
or maybe easier just to undo the 14 or 17 nut at the left rear corner of the tank , and undo the fuel cap to break pressure....drain into a catch tray or whatever.

dont smoke or rub ur feet on carpet !

SiReal
04-01-2006, 06:43 PM
And no petrol fights like Zoolander!

wynode
05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
As per SKREMN's post you can even just pull out the ECU fuse and try crank the engine over in order to get the oil circulating.

Before syphening the fuel......make sure you ground yourself first to get rid of any potential on you. Then syphen away! You can get someone else (also earthed) to open up the fuel cap for you if you want (in order to regulate pressure).

Gluck and I nor Ozhonda accep any responsibility for the outcomes!