PDA

View Full Version : Gear Box - man its hot~!~~

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 12:03 PM
okies peeps.. haroo ^^
got a question.. those out there with dc2r's..
is it just my car's gearbox? or do all dc2r's generate alot of heat from the gearbox..
my gearbox is in tact its got no issues. just came back from its 100k service too
but just wondering if any other dc2r drivers ur gearbox's are like realli hot
a quick ride its fine..
but lets say i drive for around 20 --30 mins..
i put my hand near my gearbox touch the leathery area. and the whole area..
fells realliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii hot..
get back to me peeps if u guys experience the same thing?

weezer
04-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Its not the gearbox, its the shift linkage. The exhaust is right below so yes it can get hot

bennjamin
04-01-2006, 12:08 PM
what he said ~ the shift linkage / gearstick is right above the exhuast piping , which transfers the heat into the gear shift and thus you can feel the heat. I wouldnt worry about it myself ~

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 12:12 PM
thanx guys.. as u can tell i have no idea about my car
but im slowly picking up stuff

so its normal dat it generates DAT much heat?
like my other friends their turbo cars and stuff its not hot at all
i was just wondeirng if its a honda thing?
cause i recall the dc5 doesnt generate heat at all

barefootbonzai
04-01-2006, 12:15 PM
have you got an after market short shifter? cause some of them are made of crappy material that lets the heat get to your gearknob.

fly_vti
04-01-2006, 12:16 PM
thanx guys.. as u can tell i have no idea about my car
but im slowly picking up stuff

so its normal dat it generates DAT much heat?
like my other friends their turbo cars and stuff its not hot at all
i was just wondeirng if its a honda thing?
cause i recall the dc5 doesnt generate heat at all

its where the whole thing is located, and besides its summer aswell so your whole car heats up more then ever. my integra does that aswell. its not burning hot but really warm. its normal :thumbsup: as long as it shifts ok and does what its supposed to and sounds normal. its good.

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 12:20 PM
nope its not after market
but yeh hehe im not gonna worry about it
does the job well
goes into gear find etc ^^
just wanted to see if other drivers experienced the same thingy :D :D :D
thanx guyssssssssssssssssssss

sever_all_ties
04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Does this happen when ur window/s are down?

weezer
04-01-2006, 01:13 PM
ITR gear knobs are the worst with heat. Try driving it when its been parked in the sun :(

fly_vti
04-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Does this happen when ur window/s are down?

what the hell does the gearbox got to do with the windows being down? :confused:

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 01:29 PM
hahahahhaha
wots it got to do wit the windows???????? :confused: :confused: :confused:
hehehe
random...... :wave:

wynode
04-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Have you got an aftermarket exhaust? Sometimes people remoev the heatshield (between your shifter / exhaust) and that can cause an increase in heat to come through.

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 03:12 PM
yep ive got an apexi exhaust.. on it..
maybe dats the reason..?^^ :confused:

type one
04-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Have you got an aftermarket exhaust? Sometimes people remoev the heatshield (between your shifter / exhaust) and that can cause an increase in heat to come through.

yup this is the truth... as aftermarket 60.5mm JDM b pipes rub against the heat shield...

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 03:19 PM
mad.. now i know there is noting wrong wit my car and its normal ^^
yay
thanx guyssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ^^
:) :D :D :D :D

VT3C
04-01-2006, 03:50 PM
um remove your leather shifter boot (u may need to remove the console) and check if the rubber boot is loose or damaged (the one that goes around your shifter and then seals over the 'hole' in your sheetmetal.

if this is loose or damaged, it will allow hot air to come up under your leather shifer boot and therefore heat-up your shifter.

is quite amazing how it gets hot even when a little edge of the rubber boot is loose.. put it back on tight or replace the boot if damaged and hey presto it will cool down.

dc2r sumi
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM
my actual shifter .. the gearknob isnt hot
its just the leather and the area around it dats it..? :confused: :confused:

alzteg
05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't know if its related but i get warm air coming out of my e-brake hole... as it gets quite warm in there... i haven't noticed if my shifter is hot but i'll check next time

chunky
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
hhmmm yeah way all the other guys said

ITRBoI
05-01-2006, 05:27 PM
its normal......for it to go hot.....cause everything underneath it gives out heat!!!!

sever_all_ties
06-01-2006, 12:20 PM
what the hell does the gearbox got to do with the windows being down? :confused:

I can only feel heat coming through the gap when my windows are down. And its been covered before about heat coming through when the windows are down. So how about **** off smartarse.

wynode
06-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Ok guys I think we've figured out the problem so before things get nasty.........