PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox and radiator fluid change q's

Dxs
05-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey guys, i have read previous post and the workshop manual for my car and i just wanna confirm some things.

1) I plan to change the gearbox fluid, and my car is on ramps and has a short wheelbase (being a crx). I believe i just have to remove the drain bolt/plug and the filler bolt/plug and let the fluid out. then put the drain plug back on with washer and put as much fluid as i can in via the filler plug untill it comes out. Now i am wondering do i need some kind of washer for the filler plug? does my car being on ramps and on a fair angle affect how much fluid will go in etc will this be an issue (seeming though workshops have a level lift)? and where are the plugs.. the workshop manual doesnt show and i am yet to have a proper look, is it intake or exhaust side etc? And do i only need 3l of the gearbox fluid?

2) With radiator fluid change the workshop fluid says that a liquid gasket needs to be applied to the thread of the drain bolt on the block and to get a new washer, i was wondering what kind of liquid gasket needed to be used can i get this from honda? also is the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator and the block drain bolt the only 2 bolts that need to be removed?

bla it is late :/

Slow96GSR
05-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Ok, yes the angle can affect how much you get out. All we do is get out as much as we can then check it. If there are any metal pieces we will try to get it all out. Now some very fine little pieces are what to look for. If they are big don't drive anywhere til you fix it. As for how full 1.5-2.5 quarts is hondas refill spec depending on how much you get out. It's always nice to get new washers but if the old ones are still good keep em. For a liquid gasket just don't use Loctite except for the grey!! You'll never get it back off later down the road! You can use the Loctite Grey silicone or other silicone just don't glob a lot on. You only need a little bit.

Eclipsor
05-01-2006, 10:49 AM
So yes 3L should be plenty. Damn americans with their ancient imperial measurement. :P

Slow96GSR
05-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Ya and we stand behind them all the way to the websites that do the conversions for you.

90xsi
05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
should only need about 1.8-2lt's of gb fluid to fill it to the filler bolt
but buy 3 just in case you spill a little and dont have enough.

oem gb fluid is pretty cheap anyway.

my b16a took just under 2 litres.

if you look directly underneath the brake master cylinder you should see
2 larger bolt near each other on the side of the gb.1 at the bottom of the gb and 1 about 10-20cm a bit further up. filler bolt is a 17 and drain is 1/4in rachet end. Just make sure you remove filler bolt first as alot of the time it is very hard to get off and there aint much room to get a breaker bar under there :D prolly easy the get under the car and have a look :D

hope it helps

wynode
05-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Firstly this should be in the Civic Forum so i've moved it.

When topping up the g/b fluid make sure the car is level. After draining all the fluid (and taking the car off the ramps on a level ground), remove the intake arm and take out your VSS. Now also remove the top fill bolt. Now you can just (gravity) feed the g/b oil via a funnel and piping till it start overflowing out of the fill bolt.

If you just top up with the front of the car higher than the rear.....it will start flowing out of the fill bolt before you have the correct amount of oil in there.

Also, there is a magnet inside the g/b so chances are you won't see much metal unless the magnet can't hold anything more.

As for the coolant flush, you don't 'have to' take out the drain bolt on the block unless your coolant is really bad/dirty/rusty. Just drain it via the radiator drain plug. This has a little rubber washer on it that can get worn and might need replacing (watch your coolant level to see if it has dropped a few days later and check for leaks).

Dxs
05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
thanks so far guys..
firstly i need to remove the bolt out of the block because the current rad fluid is a green unknown brand, where as the genuine fluid is a blue so i want to get as much out as possible to prevent mixing of different fluids.

wynode, i am wondering how u would do up the filler bolt if it is not on ramps or jacked up.. i mean wont u have to put the car on an angle to put the filler bolt back in? hence wont be able to get enough fluid in?

so my car will be on ramps on an angle and i remove the fluid, then u say what, put it in neutral and roll it off the ramps and try to fill it.. then how do i put the filler on? And is it cool to roll the car in N with no gearbox fluid?

wynode
05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
You should be able to reach the fill bolt with the intake arm removed with the car on level ground (I could in my EG).

Dxs
05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
looks like i can :p

couldnt be ****ed with the engine bolt either, it has a lot of sealant etc.. will just do another change in a couple of weeks with this blue fluid again, might do the thermostat then too

wynode
06-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Last time I changed my coolant the Honda OEM fluid was green not blue!