PDA

View Full Version : honda dealer for service or not?

yeuros
05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi folks,
I;ve been cruising through the forum for a while and have picked up heaps of info, so thanks to you all.

I just have a question. My My05 euro lux is due for its 10k service soon. Should i stick with the dealer service or go with an independant like ultratune? Reason being is that i've heard a few stories about dealers getting into you ( a mate had real dramas with his S2k ). I've priced the dealers and they seem to be about $100 more expensive than the independents. Is there something that the dealers can do (eg. specific tuning) that the independents don't?
The handbook only states that it needs an oil change and wheel rotation. Besides that the rest is just inspection.

I thought if i could save $100 i can put that into a better quality oil?

destrukshn
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
i would say do it dealers.
they work on your car everyday, so they will know the car.

yfin
05-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Good points - but how long do you plan on keeping the car? A vehicle with a log book consistently stamped by Honda is worth more than a vehicle with a log book stamped by Ultratune (some say up to $1000 more).

I am not saying Honda does a better job - it is just the reality of resale values.

If you plan on keeping the car a long time - go to any trusty mechanic you are comfortable with.

ABS121
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda also get service bulletins etc from time to time that may be relevant to your particular vehicle, these get carried out during your service, this doesnt happen at a mechanic. Dealers also do suspension and undercarriage tightening etc..... again your local mechanic wont nec. do as routine.

jamchen
05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
yeah i'd say stick with dealers... however i order to save ur pocket, try to prepare oil, oil filters and other things by urself :D and also try to ring up other dealers there may be some variation in prices...

yeuros
05-01-2006, 02:44 PM
thanks ppl.
i've just booked it into the local for this weekend. but will stick with honda from now on. i have to keep it for another 4.5 yrs as its on a lease. just that a friend had dodgy dealings from honda dealers for his S2k (charged for parts that werent replaced, dodgy workmanship, excuses, etc).

yeuros
05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
plus the local is within walking distance from home...

BiLL|z0r
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
If the car is on lease, some leases state it must be serviced by the dealer.

aaronng
05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Bring your own oil. Dealers charge about $50 for 4.2L of Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 (this is the dealer at which I service at). I let them know when I make the appointment that I am bringing my own oil, and they knock off the $50 from the total!

ant234
06-01-2006, 07:56 AM
but if you're on a lease, I'm not sure how bring your own oil works...
At least the service (and parts) is x% off your tax rates

chosen_one
06-01-2006, 09:08 AM
In regards to the lease, if all of the running costs are taken care of by using a fleet card then I guess if you can use that card at an autobarn or the like then the charge for oil will hit your lease company. If not, then I guess you can always compensate for your running cost contributions in your FBT calculation at the end of the FBT year. But at the end of the day you're only talking $50-$100 p.a. I figure if you can afford a Euro you can probably afford the oil without tax benefits.

yeuros
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
thanks folks.
i put all car costs on the business so alls good. Having said that though, there's no point wasting money just because its a business expense.

PNR888
08-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Whoever provide good and reliable service will win the business and customers. If you trust your local ultratune and only stone-throw away, why not take the advantage of it.. because for busy people, time = $$.

But I would probably stick my MAJOR service with Honda Dealer as some special tools or computer diagnostic equipment may be needed for that.

Let us know how you go.