PDA

View Full Version : hey having problems getting my headunit working

huynh12345
05-01-2006, 04:16 PM
im having problems hooking up my headunit .. i got all the wires alrdy, 4 channel amp and 2 rear speakers ... it turns on and stuff but sound just doesnt wanna come outta it .. anyone wanna tell me which wire is the one that powers the amp ??? and my grounding is kinda dogdy someone wanna tell me what could be wrong with the setup atm =(

no music in my car has made me turn into my own diva and my gf is getting pee'd off with me singing to myself :(

dfekm3
05-01-2006, 04:38 PM
does your head unit power up and seems like its playing? If so, on your head unit there should be a remote wire (usually blue) this is for your amp, so when your head unit is on, your amp is on, when your hu is off, the amp is off.

If your head unit does not have this wire, then you would hook up the remote wire from the amp to the ignition wire where your head unit is..

let me know if you need more info

huynh12345
05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
is the blue wire like tiny can it be black too =S cos i got it when i got the rca wires .. im not sure which wire the remote wire suppose to hook up too from those bunch of wires cos i dunt have that thing that tells me if theres current going thru it, ' the stick that has the light bulb on it ' .. could you tell me which colour its suppose to be ?

dfekm3
06-01-2006, 11:59 AM
So lets get this straight, is your head unit working now? like you can play cd's etc...?

To the amp, you should have one power cable going from the battery to the amp, set of rca from the head unit to the amp and also there should be one wire from head unit to the amp, this would be the remote wire, it can be any colour, what this wire does is turns your amp on and off so that the amp does not drain your battery when the ignition is turned off.

this wire should be connected to the amp where it says remote. on the other end of this wire it needs to be connected to the remote wire on your head unit. Are you using a stock head unit or a aftermarket one?

More info will help me give you a proper answer =)

huynh12345
06-01-2006, 12:53 PM
wells its a pioneer something series ... but they should all be the same i think..

its this remote wire thats connected to the live wire but i cant find this live wire till i get my hands on a current detector but yeah just save me some time if some one had a eg civic with the same wires and could tell me the colour of the live wire...

its like theres power in the h/u but im not sure if theres any in the amp cause no music comes out =( just very gayed

dfekm3
06-01-2006, 01:33 PM
if you have a pioneer unit, then at the back of the pioneer unit there should be a blue wire which will be the remote wire for your amp, there should be labels on the wires it self or a wiring diagram on the unit it self.

On your amp it self, are there lights that indicate that there is power? Does the amp work, like have you used it before?

So on the amp it self, there should be a power cable and ground cable going into it then there will be the remote wire from the head unit to the amp to switch it on.

have you wired the remote cable up yet?

huynh12345
06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
yeah i guessed it was the blue one >< can grounding the wrong way about it serve the same problem ... wells ill try and hook it up and nah it doesnt have a light that turns on when the amps on.. ill do it all today after i get my tires put on and yea it use to work when my friend had it and then i brought it off him then the sound just was very little u could barely hear it when its on MAX sound then my other played around with IT, AND NOW it doesnt work @ all

dfekm3
06-01-2006, 07:50 PM
how do you mean by grounding it the wrong way dude? there is only one way to ground the amp... straight to the body of the car...

huynh12345
06-01-2006, 08:24 PM
but the thing is im not sure if its touching the actual metal cos its just a hole behind the seats that is made to hold down the carpet i think .. and i scraped as much off the paint as possible to see the metal itself

dfekm3
06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
yeah... if it is not a good point, thent he amp wont work as well or not turn on, best thing to do is find another spot where the is a bolt, undo the bolt, scrape some paint off and ground the wire there mate

huynh12345
06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
ill try now

huynh12345
06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
man still doesnt work hurting my feelings .. i think its the amp might be broken =(

TRU32U
06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
this might b a dumb thing but...
IS THE GAIN on the amp up???
=P
where abouts are you located?

02ZZI
06-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Just a few pointers.
Make sure your amp has a good grounding drill into the chassis if you have to. It is very important because alot of my problems come from grounding.

Some rca's are directional so check to make sure you havent got them back to front.

Check your fuses on the amp and also in your fuse in the engine bay which i hope you have.

Run your power down the opposite side to your speaker wire, remote wire and rca's sometimes running them down the same side can cause pining sounds.

If your having problems with grounding and seeing if you got power, try using a test light borrow one buy one or make one they are very handy, this would be a good way to see if you have problems with your grounding or power.

Check your settings on the amp. You may have your gains down completely?
You may have your sub set at the wrong frequencies etc etc?

Have you jerked any of the wires profusively? Because in a friends car his stereo wasnt working because the wires had broken down the middle because of heavy pulling.

Other then that i cant really think of anything

huynh12345
07-01-2006, 01:20 AM
yeah the fuses are still intacted... i was under the impression that without fuses it cannot turn on...???

im not really sure how to tune my amp it has no turn things for some reason and dw i dunt have an sub newais my amp just powers my rear speakers im just wondering how would i come around to running the rear speakers just off the ampifier.

im not sure if there has been excessive pull on the lines

dfekm3
07-01-2006, 02:50 PM
does the amp have any power indication light on it? all amps have one...

huynh12345
07-01-2006, 04:09 PM
wells ill take the screws out where its mounted and see if theres any light

huynh12345
09-01-2006, 02:47 AM
hey mate i was wandering what does it mean by the gnd i think it should mean grounding wire but is there suppose to be 2 grounding input cos for some reason theres a screw thats differents to the rest soo im thinking am i suppose to ground that one to?

Slow96GSR
09-01-2006, 04:34 AM
What model amp and manufacture?

dfekm3
09-01-2006, 12:07 PM
what brand amp do you have? All the amps that i have seen have 3 terminals, one for power from the battery, one for remote from the head unit, one for ground. can you take a photo of your amp and the connections, i reckon this will help us quite alot

huynh12345
17-01-2006, 02:30 AM
CAINER ... !!! =p FOUND MY PROBLEM AMP IS GG'ED wells my mate gave me his old one and it works nice ... =D