PDA

View Full Version : b16a not firing

hoonda
05-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Not a happy camper :mad:
Got back from work, car wont run.

Battery and starter are fine, it turns over, it just wont fire. Not 'putting' either, just turning with the starter motor.

i suspect its either fuel or spark problem. spark plugs are BKR6E-11 only put in approx 6 months ago tho..

perhaps fuel starvation/ fuel pump shat itself?

Is there an easy way to find/solve the problem w/o going to a mechanic?

Cheers.

Ps car is EG sedan w/ b16a front end.

krasyvy
05-01-2006, 07:04 PM
can u hear the fuel pump priming when u turn the key to 'ON'?

could be the relay

SKREMN
05-01-2006, 07:09 PM
listen for the relay click after you turn ignition on

runwaycrackwhore
05-01-2006, 07:11 PM
The general rule is: for a car to start, you only need 3 things- spark, compression and fuel.

You say you have spark, and I doubt its the compression, so I would start with the spark plugs and the fuel.

hoonda
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, i dont think i could here the fuel pump when ignition on- but its a quiet pump, so not sure..

If its the fuel relay, what is the easiest way to fix it?

SKREMN
05-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, i dont think i could here the fuel pump when ignition on- but its a quiet pump, so not sure..

If its the fuel relay, what is the easiest way to fix it?

replace it or get it fixed

SKREMN
05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
you have new plugs but you dont know if you have spark?
remove one of your plugs connect it to the lead from the dizzy and crank the car see if the plug sparks???

hoonda
05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
remove one of your plugs connect it to the lead from the dizzy and crank the car see if the plug sparks???

Didnt have tools before..

Going back to have another crack at it now..

hoonda
05-01-2006, 08:03 PM
OK, went back.. turn to 'on', fuel pump whirring away good as ever...turn ignition, starts first time :!:

Ah well, net result is that car is home and safe in garage.
Maybe hot day evaporated fuel in lines (car was outside)..maybe not.. :confused:

Problem solved. Thanks neway guys :thumbsup:

EuroDude
05-01-2006, 08:14 PM
You should check the distributor cap for wear'n'tear, it may work fine now, but may fail again whilst driving (this happened to me).

Also check the distributor coil and housing for cracks. My car died while driving (again a distributor problem), the coil housing had a large crack in it, and cost me $400 to replace.

tinkerbell
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
"vapour lock" by the sound of it...

Miss Chanel
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Can it be the imobilisor (sp??)... my mum;s car wouldnt start once and it was cuz od that... :confused:

ProECU
05-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I say its an intermittent distributor problem... perhaps ignitor.
you have an OBD1 EG Civic, and more than likely the ignitor has not been replaced recently.

weezer
06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Timing Belt intact?

wynode
06-01-2006, 08:38 AM
"vapour lock" by the sound of it...
Is that an issue on efi cars? Or am I confusing that with something else?

EDIT: Just to clarify

You have to ground the plug against a part of the car body (best part is something metal on the head...but not the rocker cover) in order to complete the circuit. Or else you'll have no spark.

And don't hold the plug in your hand. Connect the plug to the lead and mount it securely to something metal (the metal clip/ring that's used to attach a chain to the engine is a good part).

tinkerbell
06-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Is that an issue on efi cars? Or am I confusing that with something else?

no, it affects any petrol engine...

Vapour lock
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Vapour lock is a problem that mostly affects petrol-fuelled internal combustion engines. It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to vapour while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult. The fuel can vapourise due to being heated by the engine, by the local climate or due to a lower boiling point at high altitude. In regions where higher volatility fuels are used during the winter to improve the starting of the engine, the use of "winter" fuels during the summer can cause vapor lock to occur more readily.

BLKek
06-01-2006, 12:21 PM
"You know, we had a lot of fun tonight. But, theres nothing funny about... vapour lock. Its the third most common cause of stalling. So please, take care of your car and get it checked. I'm Joe Namath. Good night!"

chicken8
06-01-2006, 12:37 PM
had this problem with a mate's car

mugen power from OH

it was a hot day and his car wont start. and then next morning it will start

NRMA came and took some nut off the fuel thingy in the engine bay and fuel would come out for about 2seconds then no fuel.

and then called up hanny's and they said it was the EFI chip. sometimes in hot days the inside of the car gets really really hot and the chip will get short circuits or dry joints on the soldering

replaced the EFI chip for $50 and been fine every since

tinkerbell
06-01-2006, 12:51 PM
had this problem with a mate's car

mugen power from OH

it was a hot day and his car wont start. and then next morning it will start

NRMA came and took some nut off the fuel thingy in the engine bay and fuel would come out for about 2seconds then no fuel.

UMMMMM, that means it was working properly...

wynode
06-01-2006, 12:56 PM
LOL

Sounded like a main relay problem.

Weq
06-01-2006, 04:28 PM
dude, if the car isnt 'putting', id say its ur battery. not enough juice to turn the starter. IMO. If only heard no putting with a bad battery or all the spark plugs out (ie no compression ;))

hoonda
06-01-2006, 04:56 PM
to clarify a few things..
- Timing belt replaced 3000km ago @ APC, so its definitely 'intact'
- Hondata s200 installed, so not an EFI chip problem
- by 'not putting' i mean that engine was turning over with starter, but just wasnt kicking to life- therefore not a battery or starter problem (btw battery only 6 mth old)
- no sign of damage to distributor
- no compression problems apparent

I think vapour lock looking most likely suspect..
still was annoying though!

ECU-MAN
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
I recon your ignition module is on the way out