PDA

View Full Version : New car - which model civic (or integra)??

spronkey
05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok guys, I'm new here so Hi everyone :) - onto the point - I'm looking to upgrade my car soon, which is currently:

1991 Honda Concerto JE Extra 5spd
- 1493cc D15B Single carb Engine - 91ps (91hp or so too i guess?)

I want to upgrade to something with a lot more power (probably 120-150hp is a good range - i want quite sporty, but not suicidally fast), but that is better, equal or only a VERY SMALL amount worse in terms of fuel economy. My Concerto currently does 100km town driving with around 7L of fuel (factory ratings are 6L, so I attribute the difference to age and wear), and I'd probably accept anything up to around 7.5L for 100KM (in reality, not quoted by honda).

The concerto gets slaughtered off the mark by 85hp starlets with 4 people in, which is rather pathetic, and I won't even try overtaking on the open road (100km/h limits here in NZ) - there's just not enough power to accelerate fast enough. I've got my full license test coming up soon so I need a car that I can be v.confident overtaking in (e.g. something that can do 130km/h and still have excess power).

Note: my driving style is usually shift before 3000rpm unless i'm having a bit of fun (which isn't usually) - so in a 3stage Vtec most of the time i'd be in economy mode.

Alright, so my must-have requirements:

More powerful (probably 120-150hp?)
Good economy (7.5L for 100km or better, the lesser the better)
Good handling and suspension stock
Excellent reliability record (although with most hondas this probably isn't a problem :))
Manual trans
Good price - looking at under $NZ6500 / AU6000

I'd also like the following, but they aren't necessary:

4-door sedan/liftback (as opposed to 3-door hatch)
Injected, not carb'd - I like the extra response
Safety features - airbag(s) perhaps?
Tuning potential
Fairly low-maintenance
Vtec rev-madness!! :)

I've been looking around a bit, and my best picks at the moment are:
92-95 shape Civic/Civic Ferio VTi
95-? shape Civic/Civic Ferio VTi
93-95 Integra ZXi 1.6 2 or 4-door (all injected ZC engines - 120hp might be a big sluggish in 4-door though?)

I can't find any information on models like the civic LX and LXi (my information is coming from http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/honda/) so if anyone could enlighten me on their engines and fuel economy etc that would be appreciated :)

Right, I think that's about all - impress me with your civic/integra knowledge guys 'n gals :)

EuroDude
05-01-2006, 08:55 PM
120hp is fine for a 4door, well my 93 Civic Si Sedan has a 137hp ZC non-vtec engine and ive hit a 7.x second 0-100 on occasion. The 1.6L DOHC Si engine is actually more powerful than the Vti 1.6 SOHC VTEC engine (which is 130hp if I remember correctly).

If you can find a 92-95 Civic VTi or Si with low km, that would be a good choice. The Vti would be more efficient I imagine. The Civics are very reliable if you use good quality oil and fuel. My cousin had a 1986 Civic and that lasted 900,000km with no major problems before it needed an engine change.

A 93-95 Integra would be great, but they are only 2door, plus I doubt you can find one at $6000 (with low km at least). Plus the economy wouldnt be as good as a Civic.

civiceg9
05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
92-95 I think you will be looking at the Si or Vti Civic 4 door
I personally own a Civic Si both the Civic Vti and Si is pretty even.
Si has more power down low, and Vti is more refine, have VTEC and only the final updated model will have the airbag.

With $6k you are looking at more the 92-93 range with mid to high kms around 200000kms. It is a 13yr car. If u r in NZ, just get the SIR EG9 model import. which is the DOHC VTEC engine
but they only seats 4 ppl.

spronkey
05-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Looking at the stats I can find, both engines have 130hp - the D15B 1.5L Vtec SOHC, and the 1.6L ZC DOHC in the Civics. I've never really understood exactly why DOHC engines are better, especially in the case of the D15B which has 4valves per cyl. I always thought that powering 2 shafts would nullify the efficiency gains but I don't know much about these things :)

The other concern I have is uniform power - my concerto seems a lot slower than it *should* be on paper given it's max horses, but revving to 4000rpm or above the accelerator seems to have a much lesser effect.

What are the pros and cons to both the d15b sohc vtec vs. zc dohc (d16a?) non-vtec?

civiceg9
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
do a search on this forum, there has been debates, don't know if valid, about the Si DOHC and VTi SOHC VTEC.

just have a look at the Car forsale section and you get an idea of how much
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Paul1985
05-01-2006, 09:30 PM
If your in NZ, definately go the EG9 (this is the ferio).
If you can find one in the price range it would be so much better over the others both performance wise and creature features wise. You get a heaps better interior, and all the other JDM Goodness.

Cant go wrong with the b16a.

Thats all i can say. I wouldnt consider the others over this unless you cant find one in your price range, im unsure as to what you would expect to pay for one as in Australia we dont have them.

spronkey
05-01-2006, 10:49 PM
b16a-powered cars are probably too petrol-hungry :( - SiR's in NZ are around $7000~ for a 1993 with under 150,000kms.

VTi is looking like my best option atm. What engines do the LXi models have in them? They're 1600cc, the tacho goes to 9000 so maybe vtec?

EuroDude
06-01-2006, 02:24 AM
Pretty much all Honda's show 9000RPM I think? (correct me if im wrong)
But the redlines would obviously be different.

LXi :confused: Is that a 96-00 model?
From what I know, the 92-95 models only came as Breeze, GL, GLi, VTi, Si, VEi

spronkey
06-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Non-vtecs usually show 8000 I thought. Mine does, anyway :P ANd I know ZC integras did..

LXi 1995 - 4th gen shape (92-95) - with the smaller headlights.