PDA

View Full Version : Hissing noise on front left speaker

teggiboy
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey guys

I've just installed my stereo and I have a weird hissing noise coming from my front left speaker. It sounds like some sort of interference. However, it only occurs when engine is on. When its on accessories, it doesn't make that noise.

I currently have a 4 channel amp running the front speakers and a sub. I have my RCA's running down the right side of the car and power cables running on the left side of the car.

I have a 2 gauge power cable running. Could it be the cable is too thick and interfering with the left speaker since it is on the same side? But weird coz it only happens when engine is on. Please Help!!

Slow96GSR
06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Dun dun dunnnnn!! I bet you have a right hand drive yes? If the fuse box on the right side or did they keep it on the left? Also if you ground the radio to a part of metal behind it instead of the harness you'll lose some of that hiss. Also try turning down the gains and turn up the volume. It is interference from the Alternator. That’s why it only does it when the car is running. Running the RCA’s down the center and the power down the side will also help. Running any signal wire parallel to a power wire will cause great interference. Run it at least 6” away.

Jase EK
06-01-2006, 01:04 AM
or it could be engine noise

Slow96GSR
06-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Which is made by the alt!!! Anything sending/receiving/transfering power will make noise, the motor, which has grounds and is metal with transfer the noise, but it starts at the alt.

It's all about the grounding and where you run signal lines.

Notice the bigger ground. There are 2 more... at the tranny and at the motor. All my grounds have been upgraded.
http://www.strathlan.com/TEK/images/Stereo/battwithbigground.jpg

Notice all the signal lines are away from the power lines. This helps!
http://www.strathlan.com/TEK/images/Stereo/linediag.jpg

teggiboy
06-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Dun dun dunnnnn!! I bet you have a right hand drive yes? If the fuse box on the right side or did they keep it on the left? Also if you ground the radio to a part of metal behind it instead of the harness you'll lose some of that hiss. Also try turning down the gains and turn up the volume. It is interference from the Alternator. That’s why it only does it when the car is running. Running the RCA’s down the center and the power down the side will also help. Running any signal wire parallel to a power wire will cause great interference. Run it at least 6” away.

yeah my car is right hand drive and fuse box is also on the right. i'm guessing my alternator is on the left hand side? hhmmm... so re-grounding the RADIO and NOT the AMP will help?

02ZZI
06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
^^^^ mmmm nothing like 0awg wirey goodness. Its over kill in my car atm the guy was a good salesman a good one indeed.

Slow96GSR
07-01-2006, 02:20 AM
Well does the the amp not have a good ground? How did you ground it? Is the ground line longer than 16 inches (about 41cm)? Did you ground it to the inside body panels and not sand it down to the metal for a good contact?

Sypherg
07-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Besides from the above solution, Has anyone here tried to use the following from Jaycar, if so, can someone confirm it actually works:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/Sypherg/productLarge_92.jpg

40 Amp Car Noise Filter

This unit is effective against 'engine hum' and 'ticking' caused by alternators, ignition coils & spark plug leads in automotive car radio & stereo installations. Connects in series with the battery supply (hotline).
- Gold plated cable termination
- Chrome plated case
- Size 75(L) x 40(Dia)mm