PDA

View Full Version : Worked NA motor - how far?

spetz
08-01-2006, 08:58 PM
How far can a NA motor be worked but still retaining stock internals and stock ECU (with piggyback)

ie, what's the biggest cams that can be put on and so on?
And, what % power increase can be made from all this?

eg. a B18C VTEC (not ITR) motor

barefootbonzai
08-01-2006, 09:05 PM
isn't changing cams messing with the internals?

spetz
08-01-2006, 09:23 PM
To clarify things then, with stock bottom end
Any reasonable modifications to head allowed (porting, cams, valve springs, cam gears)

SKREMN
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
why cant bottom end be touched
the cams complement the pistons
so you cant go crazzy lumpy high comp cams with stock low comp pistons
its a package

Weq
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
well it can be worked as much as u can afford. u can replace everything on the topend but are always going to be limited by the compression of the pistons and strength of the rods. that means some wild NA cams require XX amount of comp, and if u cant provide, u cant run em. Also each motor will be different to how much u can spin the bottom end stock. compression and head flow (CFM) is the key on NA. u gotta do as much as u can to gain as much as u can. not messing with the bottom end will only allow u to get prolly .5-1pt over stock if ur lucky (flat face valves, thinner HG). also u need a piggyback which allows u to remove revlimiters.

spetz
08-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Well that's the problem, I don't have unlimited amounts of money

So it has to be stock internals and piggyback only, which doesn't allow the rev limiter to be taken off

hmphh... so expensive...

locote
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
save a bit more bub

spetz
09-01-2006, 02:25 PM
No I can't...
The engine is getting rebuilt now, and I don't have the $$$ to do internals now.

Besides, after internals then I'll have to do gearbox, and ECU when I already have an emanage.

It just starts getting out of hand the $$$

turbo_del_sol
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Time to vist the bank,
Unfortunately, modding hondas (turbo or NA) Isn't cheap, and I would strongly advise you not to cut corners, because then it will only cost more in the end.

barefootbonzai
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
You should stop saying internals, cause doing headwork is internals. So what is it that is happening to your engine atm when you say "rebuilt"?

Here's was my friends old B16A2 setup:

Toda A spec Cam
Toda adjusting Cam pulleys
Toda uprated Egg shape Valve Springs
Head pored and polished
Mugen thinner head gasket

Tuned with PowerFC

He he got - 117.4kw @ the wheel

I guess with all that in your car and a correct tune you should expect more power since your would be 1.8L

spetz
10-01-2006, 11:28 PM
The B18C was just an example, I don't have one

What I mean by rebuilt,
Well leaving bolt ons aside, internal work includes full service, acid dipping etc of heads with port polish (standard cams, springs, valves)
Balanced bottom end, with now rings, gaskets, bearings, pumps, conrods shot peened

Basically, just an overhaul of the engine. Other bolts on as well but they are from the outside.
The engine is a V6 too and everything cost so much :(

bennyBear
11-01-2006, 08:01 AM
the next person that considers E-manage an intellegent ecu... i will scream.

If you dont need your car straight away, try and do it in stages, getting it all done while the motor is out is going to save you on labour in the long run!!

spetz
11-01-2006, 02:51 PM
I do need the car :(
I am just wondering how far an engine can go with stock internals

And emanage is good! I mean, for a piggyback computer which is so cheap, what more can you want

ProECU
11-01-2006, 02:57 PM
And emanage is good! I mean, for a piggyback computer which is so cheap, what more can you want

I dunno, how about something that works?

yourfather
12-01-2006, 03:17 AM
wtf,
hondata is almost same price ballpark as the greddy

todaek9
12-01-2006, 07:55 AM
save up more money to get power FC...

spetz
12-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Why what do people think is wrong with an emanage?
For a piggyback computer it can do everything you would want on a mildly modified engine

yourfather
13-01-2006, 04:51 AM
yeah but for the same amount of money you can get something that is more customizable.

rev-tech
13-01-2006, 08:02 AM
if your pulling the head off, you could shave it a little to increase the CR?

spetz
15-01-2006, 09:03 PM
I was thinking of shaving the head to do that
How safe is this?

pillow
15-01-2006, 09:21 PM
yeah but for the same amount of money you can get something that is more customizable.

You do realise that Spetz doesn't have a Honda....so no Hondata, dunno what's available for the MIVEC's

rev-tech
16-01-2006, 06:51 AM
I was thinking of shaving the head to do that
How safe is this?

depends on the CR the car runs std...if ti's reasonably low then bumping it up will be fine....but if it's already quite hi, then it's prob more volitile

i've also heard that it can change your valve timing slighty