PDA

View Full Version : When you shift up/down do you...

wynode
17-09-2003, 11:31 AM
...dab the throttle to match the revs whenever you shift up / down (more importantly down) so as to reduce the clutch and synchro wear?

I do it all the time as a good habbit and also to make changes smoother. Being a NA car the revs drop off between changes really quickly if I don't dab the throttle.

Anyone else?

Trust-Me
17-09-2003, 11:38 AM
yeah i rev match most of the times, the only time i dont rev match (down shift) is when i get lazy stopping at a traffic light and going into my driveway at nite...dont like to having mum knows when im home..hehe

but we should do it as it reduces clutch wear, the syncro is there so we dont need to rev match all the time.

poid
17-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Yeh i match a lot of the time on downshift, esp. when downshifting into higher revs. Cant heel/toe though, the pedal position isnt quite right for me :(

Weq
17-09-2003, 01:37 PM
i try to, but i often confuse myself. Do u mean, push clutch in, shift/match revs then release clutch?

wynode
17-09-2003, 02:15 PM
YEahh pretty much.

Put clutch in, dab throttle to match revs, put in gear, let clutch out.

XXpl0Sive
17-09-2003, 06:52 PM
I try to as well, it only works perfect after a while of practice though, you really need to know your car.

Trust-Me
17-09-2003, 11:25 PM
yeah at first it was confusing(sp), but i practice makes perfect and now im smooth at it.

poid: do u still have the stock pedals??? my friend changed his pedals and now he can downshift alot better....after market pedal for the throttle pedal, clips onto the stock pedal which gives a easier contact of the heel...just a thought it mite help.[/b]

Suteki
18-09-2003, 12:34 AM
heel and toe technique used for matching revs (left foot presses clutch in, right foot toe touches break while right foot heel presses accelerator). not something you'd need to do alot of, but if you can master this you'll find you can corner with greater balance and stay in the right rev range for power on exiting or accelerating thru a corner. wouldnt need to use it alot unless you absolutely must make tracks through a corner. would best be practised on a wide open corner with clear visibility at low speeds first or even more preferred, an actual track to for errors coz if you **** that up mid corner on a fairly tight road your gonna find the car way off balance and off power band and in all likelyhood carrying to much speed....you can tell where thats going.

wouldnt need to rev match all that often driving round normally and personally i dont do it, if you have an aftermarket exhuast your basically inviting the police to come harass you by doing so. all you Takumi's out there who get a chance to practice this in a controlled environment will notcie the difference tho :D (having said that i've nearly wiped myself out a few times, whoops :lol: :oops: )

toE
18-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Win, u should put another option up there for "Don't Know" cos I can't understand wat dab means at all... :lol: :oops:

But i know that i'm so used to using more of my engine brake (if that's wat they call it) then using mah brakes to stop/slow down.

poid
18-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Yeh i still have the stock pedals, i've noticed that if i were to put an aftermarket pedal on the accelerator it would be much improved, but i havent been bothered to actually get any yet.

Plenty of opportunity to practice these things in canberra though, half the intersections are roundabouts :D

Weq
18-09-2003, 12:21 PM
i got aftermarket pedals for my accelerator/brake and they rock so much.. they are metal with those rubber grips on them, and they rock. I get so much better contact then on my clutch pedal, and in the wet they hold my feet so well, where as i splip off the clutch all the time!

time to get a aftermarket clutch pedal i think.

Trust-Me
18-09-2003, 12:35 PM
i got aftermarket pedals for my accelerator/brake and they rock so much.. they are metal with those rubber grips on them, and they rock. I get so much better contact then on my clutch pedal, and in the wet they hold my feet so well, where as i splip off the clutch all the time!

time to get a aftermarket clutch pedal i think.

why didnt you in the first place get the whole set, would off cost you less...

wynode
18-09-2003, 12:37 PM
I can heal toe, and dab throttle etc with the stock pedals OK. Must be my shoes.

Trust-Me
18-09-2003, 12:40 PM
I can heal toe, and dab throttle etc with the stock pedals OK. Must be my shoes.

yeah i still have my stock pedals too...and your right its the shoe too, one of my shoe is harder to dab the throttle with..but practise make perfect. :D

poid
18-09-2003, 12:59 PM
depends on the car too, in my bro's lude its fairly easy to heel-toe due to the pedal placement, whereas in the accord the accelerator sits a fair bit lower than the brake which makes it difficult.

Suteki
18-09-2003, 01:58 PM
try doing it in a lotus, the pedals are less than an inch away from each other just about, lol, you'd heel and toe without even realising it :shock:

FANATK
19-09-2003, 12:23 AM
practise makes perfect! thats all i can say

Spunkymonkey
19-09-2003, 12:31 AM
I can't heel toe because I have to sit too close and my feet aren't in the correct positioning for it.

Can't help being a shorty!

wynode
19-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Thats no excuse Q ;)

toE
19-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Willpower baby, Willpower!! 8)

tinkerbell
19-09-2003, 01:38 PM
who here can shift without clutch?

ie from 2nd to N to 3rd

this just doen by matches the engine speed perfectly to the new gearbox speed allowing the syncros to perfectly slide into gear...

it is pretty cool when you show someone it for teh first time ;)

"hey watch this - see, no clutch"

"whoah!!!!'

it is a bit harder to do it back through hte gears, but can be done...

it jsut takes a good relationship with you and your car... synergy!

(practice on your mums or your GF's first though?!?)

wynode
19-09-2003, 01:42 PM
The easiest has got to be 3 -> 4th.....i've got that OK.

I only practise that before a gearbox oil change ;)

dc2r
20-09-2003, 11:18 AM
man i gotta see that "no clutch" technique. how can you tell when you can do it? that's crazy man...

and as for rev matching... i only ever do it for corners when shifting to a lower gear. i never shift down when coming to a stop light. i usually let it cruise on 4th or 5th gear and then put it straight to neutral before the car stalls. u will wear ur engine out by downshifting coming to a set of lights. i'd rather wear out easily replaceable things such as my brakes.

the only other time i would downshift is if i was coming too fast to a red light or to the car in front of me. it helps to brake quicker. but as i said above, i never do it just to stop "normally" for a red light.

poid
20-09-2003, 10:26 PM
hehe last time i saw the no clutch technique is when i was with a mate in a VK (has about 500 ponies), and he fried his clutch at Eastern Creek. We had to drive back to Canberra!

So he shifted clutchless till it got some grip back. You just have to really know your car and know what the spread is between gears

Spunkymonkey
21-09-2003, 11:08 AM
Thats no excuse Q ;)

I sit pretty dam close and yeah...too awkward! :lol:

Oh, and I usually downshift a couple of gears, atleast to 3rd before braking at lights, etc. Otherwise I tend to bounce a bit much and its harder to brake :)

Setanta
21-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Q's fast enough on the shifts as it is - don't encourage her to go faster with them :P

She sits really close to the wheel too :P

2ds
02-10-2003, 05:10 AM
I've got a gen3 crx and maybe i'm missing something but trying to heel and toe in it doesn't work so well because of the seats. feels like i'm trying to dislocate my knee when i try. I settle for just putting my wide arse foot accross both pedals and swiveling it left and right =D

have to make sure you carefull about your foot placement or you break at a set of lights and rev the shit out of your car. very embarrasing....

Setanta
02-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Heheheh - they don' t call them Del Slow for nothing ;)

I know what you mean - the cockpit layout in that CRX is a lot poorer than in the 2nd gen CRX.

vti-2
02-10-2003, 10:36 AM
have to make sure you carefull about your foot placement or you break at a set of lights and rev the shit out of your car. very embarrasing....

:lol:

Speaking from experience...?

:mrgreen:

2ds
02-10-2003, 02:53 PM
yes :oops:

everyone's gotta learn some how =/

del slo =p

-2ds

VTEChnique
10-10-2003, 04:33 PM
hahaha my 80+ grandfather taught me that when I was 15... use it every day.. taught my G/F how to do it too..

it's called rev-matching.