PDA

View Full Version : New i-SHIFT sequential manual transmission (Civic)

EuroDude
08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
A dream come true?

An automated true manual gearbox that is the new Honda i-SHIFT transmission. Though at a ~$2000 premium, it may just be worth the dosh :)

Source:
http://www.topgear.co.uk/news/2005/12/12/honda-civic-es-i-shift/

The Civic tried here features Honda’s innovative i-SHIFT sequential manual transmission, and is the first car the firm has built to offer such technology. As with Volkswagen’s DSG system, it has both semi and fully automatic modes, and carries a £700 premium over the conventional six-speed manual.

Switching between automatic and manual is straightforward, and once in the manual set-up, paddles mounted on the steering wheel control up and downshifts. On the move, swapping cogs is smooth and quick, especially when changing high in the rev range, while the system also adds a sporty throttle blip to the downshifts.

Gearbox modes and ratio selections are displayed in a panel to the left of the digital speedometer, which also includes useful lights to tell you when to change gear. This twin-display set-up is central to the Civic’s dash layout, and adds to the neat appearance of the cockpit. It’s easy to get comfortable behind the wheel, and there’s a futuristic air to the cabin.

:honda:

Weq
08-01-2006, 10:14 PM
but is it as smooth as the dsg??