PDA

View Full Version : Servicing DC2 at Home

shebangs
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi,

I searched but didnt find exact answers to all of these. For a 1995 Integra VTI-R with 140KM on the clock, what's the;

1. Best Engine Oil?
2. Fuel Filter. OEM?
3. Spark Plugs. NGK? Which ones? Which model do I want?

Thanks

MR_PEA
08-01-2006, 11:05 PM
prolly say a 15w oil use mobil or penrite,, dont use synthetic,
oem oil filters are cheap from the dealer..
just use normal plugs ngk,bosch or champion i reccoment ngks
dont go for the irridums or platnums cause there more for longevity rather then offer performance

TRU32U
09-01-2006, 01:41 AM
il say 10W motul if you have the cash, if not penrite is okay.
oem the white one for 15 bucks or so is pretty good.
plugs start from 3 bucks each up to 40 each.

BIG`O
28-01-2007, 08:12 PM
what about oil filter? go oem for everything but plugs, NGK

bennjamin
28-01-2007, 08:23 PM
what about oil filter? go oem for everything but plugs, NGK

OEM plugs ARE NGK :wave:

panda[cRx]
28-01-2007, 08:33 PM
1. oem feo 10w-30
2. oem - oem > cheapo crap from repco
3. oem - as ben said oem IS ngk

marcus
28-01-2007, 08:47 PM
where do i get these engine oil???supercheap??

marcus
28-01-2007, 08:52 PM
prolly say a 15w oil use mobil or penrite,, dont use synthetic,
oem oil filters are cheap from the dealer..
just use normal plugs ngk,bosch or champion i reccoment ngks
dont go for the irridums or platnums cause there more for longevity rather then offer performance

y dun use synthetic oil??? do u mean just 15w oil??where do i get them?? coz normally those sell in supercheap are 15-40 or 20-50 or etc.....

panda[cRx]
28-01-2007, 08:58 PM
feo is available from all honda dealers

aaronng
28-01-2007, 09:09 PM
y dun use synthetic oil??? do u mean just 15w oil??where do i get them?? coz normally those sell in supercheap are 15-40 or 20-50 or etc.....

When you buy oil, you buy based on the viscosity and not the brand. So get a 10w-30 oil. You can also use 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40. Nothing higher, and don't go thinner. Castrol Edge comes in 5w-30 for $60, Magnatec in 10w-40 for $27.

marcus
28-01-2007, 09:55 PM
When you buy oil, you buy based on the viscosity and not the brand. So get a 10w-30 oil. You can also use 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40. Nothing higher, and don't go thinner. Castrol Edge comes in 5w-30 for $60, Magnatec in 10w-40 for $27.

hmm...true...i been using 15-40 for my teg all the while....15-40 was recommended by the engine oil recommendations book at supercheap auto...nw i m confuse on which engine oil to use for my teg

aaronng
28-01-2007, 11:08 PM
hmm...true...i been using 15-40 for my teg all the while....15-40 was recommended by the engine oil recommendations book at supercheap auto...nw i m confuse on which engine oil to use for my teg

Don't trust those guide booklets, they only show you the range of oil that they are trying to promote.

Your teg is meant to use 10w-30. If you want to stay at the same price as the oil you've been using (I assume Castrol GTX3 in the red bottle?), then Magnatec 10w-40 is a good alternative. If you want to spend more, go for Castrol Edge 5w-30.

BTW, your plugs are NGK-branded BKR6E-N-11. If you want longer lasting plugs (iridiums that last 100,000km), but cost 5 times more expensive, then the part number is BKR6EIX-11. I recommend the regular plugs as they are cheaper to replace if your engine is running too rich or lean (damages the plugs).

Drew
29-01-2007, 07:09 AM
We use Fram oil filters, they are like a bright orange with a black grip on the back

That makes it a lot easier to spot the filter if its a tight spot while the black grip means you don't need anything but your hands to remove it easily :)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000CNJGYG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66204263_.jpg

Spark plugs and leads NGK aren't all that bad, will really make a minimal difference between brands just get the right clearance etc etc
You can get platinum or iridium plugs if you want, they will probably last a little bit longer but if you replace them regularly anyway then who cares
I replace plugs every two years, and clean the contacts and check clearances on every service

Air filter I would say either KnN or Honda, KnN make filters that you can clean, but normally by the time you factor in the cost of a cleaning kit and the time it takes, it's usually easier to just buy a new filter

Fuel filter I'd go with a Honda filter, I doubt anyone could claim that using their filter over OEM will give you more power or anything

Honestly at the end of the day what ever you do, its unlikely that you will do any damage to the engine...

For example if you use 10w30 instead of 10w40 it's not like your engine is going to implode on itself

At worst if you use a really thin oil it will just get burnt up and your car will smoke a bit when u thrash it

The most damage you are likely to do is get oil stains on your driveway
Don't think that it's been mentioned or not, it's a lot easier if you remove the oil when the engine is still fairly hot (but not running) so it flows out easier, but not super hot cause it will burn you. So just be careful there

aaronng
29-01-2007, 09:03 AM
We use Fram oil filters, they are like a bright orange with a black grip on the back

That makes it a lot easier to spot the filter if its a tight spot while the black grip means you don't need anything but your hands to remove it easily :)

[img]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000CNJGYG.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66204263_.jpg[img]

I don't like FRAM. One oil filter review article cut open up a few different models of FRAM filters and found that the base on the inside was made of cardboard and the surface area of the filter material was one of the lowest among the other brands (both OEM and aftermarket).

For example if you use 10w30 instead of 10w40 it's not like your engine is going to implode on itself

At worst if you use a really thin oil it will just get burnt up and your car will smoke a bit when u thrash it

The most damage you are likely to do is get oil stains on your driveway
Don't think that it's been mentioned or not, it's a lot easier if you remove the oil when the engine is still fairly hot (but not running) so it flows out easier, but not super hot cause it will burn you. So just be careful there
10w-30 is fine as that is the specified oil for the B18C2. It's only when you go for 0w-20 (which still works), you get additional oil consumption and poorer protection at operating temperature. But with added performance and better fuel consumption

civic_mods
29-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Oem Ftw.

Drew
29-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't like FRAM. One oil filter review article cut open up a few different models of FRAM filters and found that the base on the inside was made of cardboard and the surface area of the filter material was one of the lowest among the other brands (both OEM and aftermarket).

Is that so?

I might have to cut open a few filters myself to have a look, something that I've never really thought about all that much to be honest with you...

Well theres probably a good reason as to why Honda OEM oil is 10w30 then isn't there

aaronng
29-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Is that so?

I might have to cut open a few filters myself to have a look, something that I've never really thought about all that much to be honest with you...

Well theres probably a good reason as to why Honda OEM oil is 10w30 then isn't there

Here's the site of the guy that did the study: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

The B-series engine is designed to 10w-30. When you look at the other engines that Honda makes, the oil viscosity is different, and hence they have their own special Honda OEM oil (i.e. Insight, Civic Hybrid, and JDM synthetic for NSX)