View Full Version : coolant drain bolt

URBAN4
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
i'm in the middle of draining the coolant from both the radiator and the engine itself (B18A1), and i did a search and found a thread about the coolant drain that lives on the exhaust side of the block (yay! someone who can search!).

the thread had a diagram with torque specs for the bolt, but i can't find it anywhere in my shop manual. i got the helm's one online and it has all the right pages, but i can't find where it shows that particular diagram. could someone tell me whether the 58 lb-ft is the correct setting for the B18A, or is that the standard torque for all honda coolant drain bolts? and obviously where the hell is that diagram in the manual?

thanks in advance!

SKREMN
09-01-2006, 10:10 PM
i did mine back up tight by hand and it never leaked
just give it what ever you got it shouldnt leak

Dxs
10-01-2006, 12:22 AM
i dont know about b18a1's but i know the b16's bolt in the block requires sealent as well..

i would just say get some sealant onto it and do it up damn tight and you should be fine.. just keep an eye on it if ur paranoid

edit: just checked my crx manual and it says 80n-m / 50 lb-ft and apply liquid gasket to the thread.. remember the bolk is alloy so there is a chance u could strip it if u go too tight.. but still go hard :p

wynode
10-01-2006, 07:53 AM
If you're using sealant it doesn't have to be super tight (as the sealant does the sealing......not the 'tight bolt').