PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen Prelude Tanabe headers go on a 5th gen :)

Creative
03-04-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey guys,

I got my new Tanabe header and high flow cat installed yesterday :watsup:

I got it done at ACE exhaust in Ringwood....All up it took about 3 hours and cost me $200 to take the stuff off the 4th gen, plus its exhaust, cut the piep to make it fit my car, weld it up and then replace all the parts, cos the other guys was getting his OEM stuff back on his 4th gen.

We had a small problem at one stage and looked like it wasnt going to work. They were trying to put my engine pipe on his 4th gen and offcourse it was about 6 inches too short, so they were going to cut it all and shit till I rang Andrew - the guy who's 4thgen it was - and he said nah he want his pipe on there...well I didnt realise that they had put my pipe on there....so he said nah look in the boot, mine is there...and lo and behold, his pipe is there.....phew all is good.

They cut his flang off his aftermarket exhaust, attach it to my new high flow cat, and then attach it to the cat back part of the ehast which is still oem. They cut the pipe iirc cos the i told them Ill be coming back to get my exhaust fitted when I get it in a few weeks...

Overall the car feels a LOT more responsive and from about 3,000rpm to all the way to red line the car sound louder and also seemas to pull a lot more smooth. All up the butt dyno feels it a bit more responsive in acceleration and seems to get me places a little quicker now.....not sure if its real, or in my mind...but cant wait till i get the exhaust one.....I know it will only really make more osund....but the guys rekon with the new exhaust one...thats when I will really feel what Im sposed to be feeling.

Umm I think thats about it....kind off with the fairies atm cos Im so happy and have had afew so yer....sorry bout the spelling.....and any question dont hesitate toask etc......silly me forgot my camera etc but I got to watch the whole install be done so that was pretty cool. Ill definantly get pics tomorrow of the engine bay and then when I get the install done, Ill take pics of under the car...

Modding 4th gen Tanabe 4-2-1 header to fit a 5th gen but cutting 6 inches off the header engine pipe and adding a new flang to the cat - cat back exhaust pipe is all that is needed.....

**** IM HAPPY :nod: :nod:

ps
Wrote this on Preludeaustralia.com lastnight and was a little tipsy so bear with me :D

Sorry if wrong forum :D

Javed
03-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Hey mate any idea how much a place would charge just to weld flanges onto a cat to bolt up a catback??? I know its not relevant to a prelude but i am getting itr piping for my integra which already has an aftermarket exhaust which is welded to the cat. Im also gonna maybe add the JDM type r headers totti is selling so it will all hopefully bolt together nicely on my gsi.

Cheers,
Javed

PS. Keep the alcohol flowing mate! :D

Creative
03-04-2004, 03:45 PM
hmmm the joint I went to would prob do it for about $50 bux I rekon.

Dont quote me on that though, Im just basing that guess on the work I had done....

Speak to John down at ACE Exhaust in Ringwood....he was pretty cool :D Chris was the guy who did some welding also :)